Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Short Rifle examples wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 11, 2020 - 4:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

deerhunter said
Thanks for that info Gary.  Glad to add another to the survey as well.  If the wood wasn’t messed with, I would expect the price to be about double what it is now from this seller.  What do you think?

Don  

I notice you added “from this seller” …… so yes, I was a little surprised at the price and would have expected nearly double that. Pretty reasonable for a semi-deluxe short rifle with a couple oddities. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
December 11, 2020 - 4:55 pm

After looking at the forearm a bit closer, the fit is odd.  It’s very good where it meets the receiver but terrible at the forearm cap.  I wonder if the forearm has been replaced from a rifle with a standard weight barrel??

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
December 11, 2020 - 5:06 pm

Who knows, the color is slightly different as well. Almost looked like over zealous sanding but its only at the fore end cap where its most obvious. A picture form directly above might show how the barrel fits in the wood better. It should almost look free-floated if it was from a standard weight barrel. Anyway ……… Im not a buyer. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 15, 2020 - 3:51 am
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 15, 2020 - 3:59 am
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
December 15, 2020 - 5:20 am

deerhunter said
Hi Gary,

Here’s another for your survey.  Looks like serial number is 415558?  Hard to read that last digit…

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-lever-pre-64/1894-factory-22-quot-octagon-short-rifle-30wcf-415xxx-made-1908-.cfm?gun_id=101567012  

It looks like 415588 to me.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 15, 2020 - 5:27 am

Gor

deerhunter said
And another:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886943022  

Gorgeous wood!  That is at least XXX and could be XXXX.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 15, 2020 - 5:38 am

Bert H. said

Gorgeous wood!  That is at least XXX and could be XXXX.  

Agreed.  That’s about the finest wood I’ve seen on an 1894.  If you scroll through the photos, the tang is marked XXXX.

Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 15, 2020 - 5:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

deerhunter said

Agreed.  That’s about the finest wood I’ve seen on an 1894.  If you scroll through the photos, the tang is marked XXXX.

Don  

I did not scroll far enough before I replied to your post… I agree that it is XXXX, and that is very rare on a Model 1894!  It is cheap at the current bid.  I expect that it should be worth at least 2.5 times the current bid amount.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
December 15, 2020 - 7:15 pm

Bert H. said

deerhunter said

Don  

I did not scroll far enough before I replied to your post… I agree that it is XXXX, and that is very rare on a Model 1894!  It is cheap at the current bid.  I expect that it should be worth at least 2.5 times the current bid amount.  

I agree, this is a very nice rifle.  I really like the features (particularly the fancy wood!).  It is fortunate the seller has a Cody letter as the serial number places it at 1902.  He doesn’t show the letter and I’d sure want to see it before I went for it.  If it is legitimately an antique that surely adds to the desirability.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 15, 2020 - 7:36 pm

steve004 said

I agree, this is a very nice rifle.  I really like the features (particularly the fancy wood!).  It is fortunate the seller has a Cody letter as the serial number places it at 1902.  He doesn’t show the letter and I’d sure want to see it before I went for it.  If it is legitimately an antique that surely adds to the desirability.    

Steve,

That rifle is not an bona fide “Antique”.  S/N 139712 was manufactured in February 1902.

WACA Member
December 15, 2020 - 7:46 pm

Bert H. said

Steve,

That rifle is not an bona fide “Antique”.  S/N 139712 was manufactured in February 1902.  

Bert – I just looked through all the photos and found he does actually show the museum letter.  There is no reference to the 1898 date in the letter.  I suspect he is using the Madis manufacture dates – which is particularly concerning when he also shows a museum letter that shows it is not an antique.  I find it disturbing that his ad clearly states no FFL is required.  

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 15, 2020 - 8:10 pm

It looks like this is an older letter that omits the serial  number applied date since it only states received in the warehouse dating.  Seller is likely going by the inaccurate Madis dates to peddle as “antique.”

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 15, 2020 - 8:53 pm

I sent him a “friendly” warning message about the “lack of antique” status… will see if he responds.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 30, 2020 - 5:08 am

Hi Gary,

I came across this one on GB.  Do you have this one in your survey?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888149789

Don

WACA Member
December 30, 2020 - 4:08 pm

That’s a nice rifle with some rare features.  I certainly like that it is a .32-40.  The roughness of the finish would prevent me from spending a lot on this rifle.  It seems honest enough, I just don’t like the corrosion. I’d prefer less finish it was smooth.  

I was thinking about the buttplate.  I think the seller is correct.  I think we would more commonly see a shotgun butt on a rifle with these features.  I know the crescent butt is preferable given the rarity factor as well as the general desirability factor among the majority of collectors.  However, given my taste for the shotgun butt, that would have been my preference on this rifle.  

I was thinking about this rifle and the buttplate this morning.  I was thinking, if I could have any butt that had been available, what would be the order of my preference.  I’m thinking as a collector presently vs. the original owner.  I came up with this list in order of preference:  Swiss butt, Winchester recoil pad, carbine butt, hard rubber shotgun butt, steel shotgun butt, crescent butt.  I’m suspecting no one else here would but the preceding preference list in the same order?  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
December 30, 2020 - 6:46 pm

steve004 said
That’s a nice rifle with some rare features.  I certainly like that it is a .32-40.  The roughness of the finish would prevent me from spending a lot on this rifle.  It seems honest enough, I just don’t like the corrosion. I’d prefer less finish it was smooth.  

I was thinking about the buttplate.  I think the seller is correct.  I think we would more commonly see a shotgun butt on a rifle with these features.  I know the crescent butt is preferable given the rarity factor as well as the general desirability factor among the majority of collectors.  However, given my taste for the shotgun butt, that would have been my preference on this rifle.  

I was thinking about this rifle and the buttplate this morning.  I was thinking, if I could have any butt that had been available, what would be the order of my preference.  I’m thinking as a collector presently vs. the original owner.  I came up with this list in order of preference:  Swiss butt, Winchester recoil pad, carbine butt, hard rubber shotgun butt, steel shotgun butt, crescent butt.  I’m suspecting no one else here would but the preceding preference list in the same order?    

Your preferences are exactly the reverse of mine.  But my opinion is just my opinion.

Notice what the letter says about the stock.  Plain Pistol Grip.  Some call these deluxe and in this case semi deluxe. It is neither.  So when collectors call stocks deluxe, semi deluxe or plain pistol grip they are at least 33% correct according to some.

WACA Member
December 30, 2020 - 7:36 pm

Chuck said

Your preferences are exactly the reverse of mine.  But my opinion is just my opinion.

Notice what the letter says about the stock.  Plain Pistol Grip.  Some call these deluxe and in this case semi deluxe. It is neither.  So when collectors call stocks deluxe, semi deluxe or plain pistol grip they are at least 33% correct according to some.  

Chuck – I very much suspect that you are not the only one with preferences that would be the reverse of what I listed.  At least when it comes to buttplates, I march to beat of my own drummer.  I am familiar with the plain pistol grip stock.  Here’s one on a ’92 I have:

View post on imgur.com

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
WACA Member
December 31, 2020 - 5:08 pm

deerhunter said
Came across another for the survey:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1894-pre-64/factory-engraved-winchester-1894-lever-action-rifle.cfm?gun_id=101571501

Don  

Interesting rifle.  Many desirable features, particularly the factory engraving.  Someone must like it as I see it is pending sold status.  It is very desirable that all of the features are on the letter -especially the engraving (including the inscription).  This rifle has some condition issues.  There are some wood repairs that Leroy mentions.  However, the left side of the receiver is an eyesore for me.  The large circle – it looks like Bubba has tried to freshen or deepen the engraving.  I’m basing my reaction on a photo only, but from what I’m seeing, it would be enough to steer me away from the rifle – it would just bug me every time I looked at it. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Randycrockett
Guest(s) 213
Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261