Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Short Rifle examples wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1268
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 24, 2020 - 1:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I agree Don, too bad it has some extras. Otherwise, its a great looking plain PG 1/2 OB w/ a full mag. It has a nice look to it. 

A new entry for the survey …… thx. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
November 25, 2020 - 3:12 am

Hey Gary, I sent a email to you long time ago. Anyways I have serial  #79010. 19″ 1/2 oct. full mag takedown, pistol grip, shotgunbutt. Ill get a picture of the letter uploaded soon. 

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
November 25, 2020 - 5:07 am

T. Peden said
Hey Gary, I sent a email to you long time ago. Anyways I have serial  #79010. 19″ 1/2 oct. full mag takedown, pistol grip, shotgunbutt. Ill get a picture of the letter uploaded soon.   

Tyler,

I don’t have that s/n in my survey. Its possible I missed an email on this. I would love to see Pics of a 19″ letterable short rifle. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
November 25, 2020 - 8:49 pm

20201125_143527.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
November 25, 2020 - 9:22 pm

Yikes…here’s another, but probably not for your survey…

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884096898

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
November 26, 2020 - 5:30 pm

deerhunter said

It’s worth about one-tenth of what he is asking.  Just crazy.  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
November 26, 2020 - 5:42 pm

T. Peden said
20201125_143527.jpgImage Enlarger  

Tyler,

Can you post pictures of your rifle? That’s a very rare specimen you have there. Just the 19″ barrel is almost unheard of. Only 44 of them are documented in the ledgers for the first 353,999. In my survey, I now have 5 of them, counting yours. The fact that its half octagon, TD, and semi-deluxe probably pushes it towards the one of a kind category. I’m anxious to see it. Thanks for posting the letter. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4968
November 26, 2020 - 6:20 pm

deerhunter said

Looks like they soaked it in a barrel of oil to help get the rust off. Probably should have taken the wood off first.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
November 26, 2020 - 9:37 pm

I thought long and hard about buying a 19 inch .30 WCF short rifle 12 years ago.  Larry Orr had it.  He described it as serial 79xxx with 19 inch half octagon, full magazine, takedown, pistol grip with I-checkering and shotgun butt.  I decided against it as it was a very low finish rifle (0 %), there were holes for the Lyman side receiver sight (which didn’t letter) and there was a small ring in the barrel.  Oh, there were problems with the wood too, so I passed.  However, I’ve yet to have an opportunity to purchase another.  It would have been a great candidate for a complete restoration.  I’m not into restorations however.  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
November 26, 2020 - 9:45 pm

Almost guaranteed its the same gun. And yes, although I don’t care for restorations, It would be a good candidate, considering the rarity. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
November 27, 2020 - 12:36 am

Steve I believe that 19″ short rifle , ser#81533 Moved to Canada and was restored by D. Turnbull. A friend of mine owns it and I can’t pry it loose from his rack

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
November 27, 2020 - 12:40 am

Henry Mero said
Steve I believe that 19″ short rifle , ser#81533 Moved to Canada and was restored by D. Turnbull. A friend of mine owns it and I can’t pry it loose from his rack  

Henry – the one Larry had was 79,xxx – so I wouldn’t think it is the same rifle?

WACA Guest
November 27, 2020 - 4:16 am

steve004 said

Henry – the one Larry had was 79,xxx – so I wouldn’t think it is the same rifle?  

Steve this gun has been restored, also the reason i own it. the letter says Olsen i believe. hell of a gun horrible resto job. 

WACA Member
November 27, 2020 - 1:24 pm

T. Peden said

Steve this gun has been restored, also the reason i own it. the letter says Olsen i believe. hell of a gun horrible resto job.   

Henry – possibly the name on the letter is Orr?

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
November 27, 2020 - 7:03 pm

Tyler,

Can you confirm the fore-end length of your 19″ rifle? 8 3/8″ or 9 3/8″? That’s the only detail I’m missing. Some pics would be great as well.

Also – center of rear sight dovetail? commonly 4″ or 5″ based on the above measurement. I have encountered several early short rifles with a 3 1/2″ rear sight slot as well that were factory original and lettered. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
WACA Member
December 11, 2020 - 12:48 pm

deerhunter said
Hi Gary,

Did you see this one?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-lever-pre-64/winchester-model-1894-semi-deluxe-take-down-rifle.cfm?gun_id=101564368

Don  

Sale pending.  I like the many special order features and they come together nicely.  Overall the condition is decent, but what is that – an (offset) swivel stud hole filled in with some sort of wood putty?  I would never be able to warm up to that.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 11, 2020 - 3:13 pm

steve004 said

Sale pending.  I like the many special order features and they come together nicely.  Overall the condition is decent, but what is that – an (offset) swivel stud hole filled in with some sort of wood putty?  I would never be able to warm up to that.  

That’s what it looks like to me.   I also don’t like the poor fit of the forearm / forearm cap.  Gun has cool features and great condition except for the messed up wood, which kills it for me.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
December 11, 2020 - 4:32 pm

Hey guys,

I did not have this one listed yet. Usually the examples on Leroy’s site have been there quite a while so I don’t look as often as I used to. Thanks for always pointing them out. 

Yes, its a nice configuration. I would (and will) call that a 2/3 mag, rather than 3/4. I have several 3/4 mags that letter and they are much longer. The 2/3 mags only make up about 8% of the survey, and the 3/4 mags run around 6%. This being said, mag lengths other than full or half are a nice feature to have. They do show up slightly more often in the ELWs, as compared to the standard weights. 

This is also an early example of the fluted stock with a non-widow peak plate as we have discussed in another thread. I only have a couple others that are earlier in my survey. 1913 is about where they show up …… at least in the ’94s I look at. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
December 11, 2020 - 4:46 pm

Thanks for that info Gary.  Glad to add another to the survey as well.  If the wood wasn’t messed with, I would expect the price to be about double what it is now from this seller.  What do you think?

Don

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323