Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Short Rifle examples wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2021 - 3:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Gary,

It’s a very cool configuration, but what do you think about the metal finish? Seller states the “frame has a nice plummy patina added in the past.”  I was a bit interested until I got to that part, but I’m a purist looking for original finish when adding to my collection.

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
May 25, 2021 - 4:07 am

deerhunter said
Gary,

It’s a very cool configuration, but what do you think about the metal finish? Seller states the “frame has a nice plummy patina added in the past.”  I was a bit interested until I got to that part, but I’m a purist looking for original finish when adding to my collection.

Don  

I agree, something not quite right with the finish, as Austin is alluding to, mainly on the receiver. I suppose its had some cold blue at some time as it looks like blue over pits in some areas. Cool gun, but not for me ether. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 25, 2021 - 5:18 pm

deerhunter said
Hi Gary,

Here’s one that was just listed on GI today:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1894-pre-64/fine-rare-winchester-1894-deluxe-takedown-short-rifle-from-collecting-texas-many-special-features.cfm?gun_id=101660641

Don  

That is so much money for so very little condition.  And course the chambering adds nothing to the value.  I see he offers a return option, “only if misrepresented.”  Why do I get the feeling it’s about an impossible task to get this seller to agree he has misrepresented something? I would never consider buying anything from this seller.  And at his prices, I’m sure I’d never be tempted.  He shouldn’t take it personally. I wouldn’t consider buying anything from the majority of internet sellers out there.

Ohio
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 384
May 25, 2021 - 10:43 pm

For what it’s worth …..There has been more than one discussion about this seller on the forum, none of which have been good. Also I have never dealt with them, but after a few member here have posted comments from them, I don’t consider them an option

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 26, 2021 - 1:32 am

steve004 said

That is so much money for so very little condition.  And course the chambering adds nothing to the value.  I see he offers a return option, “only if misrepresented.”  Why do I get the feeling it’s about an impossible task to get this seller to agree he has misrepresented something? I would never consider buying anything from this seller.  And at his prices, I’m sure I’d never be tempted.  He shouldn’t take it personally. I wouldn’t consider buying anything from the majority of internet sellers out there.  

I like the rifle, I don’t feel he’s misrepresenting it but I won’t be a buyer at this price so it’s a moot point. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 26, 2021 - 1:54 am

TXGunNut said

I like the rifle, I don’t feel he’s misrepresenting it but I won’t be a buyer at this price so it’s a moot point. 

Mike  

I’ve seen a lot of his rifles advertised.  I haven’t had concerns about all of them (and I don’t have specific concerns about this one), however, if I recall correctly, all have been overpriced.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 26, 2021 - 7:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Gary, 

Here’s another one for the survey.  Unfortunate about the oddly located extra holes in the receiver–any idea why someone would do such a thing??  The location of those holes make no sense to me.  Beautiful and rare short rifle but the extra holes ruin it for me–also waaayyy over-priced.  Anyway, I asked the seller for the serial number and he responded with serial number 384769.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901953435

Don

WACA Member
May 26, 2021 - 10:48 pm

deerhunter said
Hi Gary, 

Here’s another one for the survey.  Unfortunate about the oddly located extra holes in the receiver–any idea why someone would do such a thing??  The location of those holes make no sense to me.  Beautiful and rare short rifle but the extra holes ruin it for me–also waaayyy over-priced.  Anyway, I asked the seller for the serial number and he responded with serial number 384769.

Don  

There are some very very nice features on this rifle.  And it is very attractive.  The holes spoil it for me also.  Too bad as the defects make up such a small percentage of the rifle.  With a reblue or refinish, the entire rifle can be spoiled.  Here, 99.99% of the rifle has not been spoiled.  But yes, waaaay overpriced for sure.

Oh, there is one thing wrong with the rifle.  It’s not a .32 Special.  😉

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 27, 2021 - 5:54 pm

Hi Gary, 

Just checking to see if you got this one recorded.  Serial number is 384769.

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 28, 2021 - 1:08 am

Yes, I have it added. I can’t explain what the random extra holes were for, but I agree, it ruins it for me ……. as if the dreamland price wouldn’t have done the same. Thanks Don.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 2:56 am

Hi Gary,

Here’s another one for the survey. Too bad for the added Redfield receiver sight…

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902187838

Don

WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 1:27 pm

deerhunter said
Hi Gary,

Here’s another one for the survey. Too bad for the added Redfield receiver sight…

Don  

The sight addition is unfortunate, however I don’t mind it as much as other alterations such as re-blue and cut barrels.  However, the rifle still needs to be shooter-priced vs. collector-priced.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 2:25 pm

steve004 said

The sight addition is unfortunate, however I don’t mind it as much as other alterations such as re-blue and cut barrels.  However, the rifle still needs to be shooter-priced vs. collector-priced.  

I agree.  I could tolerate the added receiver sight as a shooter as long as the bore accommodates.  If it were a Lyman 21 rather than the Redfield mounted on the side of that gun it would boost it closer to the collector category for me, even if installed outside the factory. I’m a sucker for Lyman 21’s on 1894’s.  Ugly reblues and cut barrels, on the other hand, I couldn’t tolerate at all–not even as a shooter.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 30, 2021 - 3:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Anyone want to guess what this one will bring?  The receiver sight cuts the value by 50%, I would guess, making this otherwise nice rifle worth little more than $2500.  My guess.

WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 3:38 pm

mrcvs said
Anyone want to guess what this one will bring?  The receiver sight cuts the value by 50%, I would guess, making this otherwise nice rifle worth little more than $2500.  My guess.  

I think it doesn’t help the seller at all that he started it nearly two grand.  I think had he started it a penny, it would see a good bit of action.  When I first saw it, my impression was it might not receive any bids at all.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 3:50 pm

I think your $2500 assessment is about right.  According to the seller, gun was purchased new by a great grandfather and handed down to a great grandson.  If I were that great grandson, no price would pry it away from my hands.  What a shame that this gun remained in the same family for over a hundred years and ended up unappreciated and now gone.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 5:37 pm

deerhunter said
Hi Gary,

Don  

I saw this one when it posted on GB. same story, too bad it has the extra holes. Nice rifle otherwise. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 30, 2021 - 5:38 pm

steve004 said

Although the pricing strategy might have been better starting lower, I think its priced about right. This is the shooter grade price. A rifle like that with a fairly high percentage of blue, some case colors, and PG checkered would go for double the money. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
June 7, 2021 - 3:35 am

Here’s another for the survey:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902704943

Don

WACA Member
June 7, 2021 - 2:15 pm

deerhunter said
Here’s another for the survey:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902704943

Don  

And it’s even a, “pre-64” model!

What I do find interesting is that it is pistol-grip, uncheckered.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306