Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Short Rifle examples wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 7, 2021 - 4:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

steve004 said

And it’s even a, “pre-64” model!

What I do find interesting is that it is pistol-grip, uncheckered.  

And it’s a 32WS!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
June 7, 2021 - 6:34 pm

TXGunNut said

And it’s a 32WS!

Mike  

Mike has of course made the most important point Cool

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
June 8, 2021 - 2:41 am

deerhunter said
Here’s another for the survey:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902704943

Don  

I had this one in the survey already but I added a note that its the ultra-rare Pre-64 variant. Its the first one I’ve found so far, and so scarce I don’t even think I will add another column in the spreadsheet for them. Surely one of one. 

All kidding aside, the Plain PG stocks are cool.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
August 13, 2021 - 3:07 pm

Hi Gary,

Just came across this one this morning. It’s listed incorrectly as “carbine.”  Looks like serial number 1050593. Are the barrel markings correct for this timeframe?  Or has the barrel been replaced?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1894-pre-64/winchester-model-94-carbine-30-wcf-30-30-.cfm?gun_id=101713798

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 13, 2021 - 4:58 pm

Good morning Don

A new entry for the survey, and a very late one. I think the barrel markings are right for a piece that late but wont bet the farm on it. It it weren’t for the short sight spacing, I suppose the caliber/model marking might be slid back towards the receiver. Honestly, I don’t study the markings as closely as I should, and there’s only 28 short rifles in the survey out past 1926. They seem to drop off rapidly after about 1918.

Capture.PNGImage Enlarger

Also, the front sight in interesting. Do you recognize that type? Not sure if I like it or not, kind of bulky and obnoxious looking. 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
August 13, 2021 - 5:21 pm

pdog72 said
Good morning Don

A new entry for the survey, and a very late one. I think the barrel markings are right for a piece that late but wont bet the farm on it. It it weren’t for the short sight spacing, I suppose the caliber/model marking might be slid back towards the receiver. Honestly, I don’t study the markings as closely as I should, and there’s only 28 short rifles in the survey out past 1926. They seem to drop off rapidly after about 1918.

Also, the front sight in interesting. Do you recognize that type? Not sure if I like it or not, kind of bulky and obnoxious looking.   

Interesting stats.  I don’t recognize that sight and don’t care much for it either.  It seems that blocky of a sight would hinder your view of the target to some degree.  

Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
August 13, 2021 - 8:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

pdog72 said
Good morning Don

Gary,

We apparently need to compare our surveys… I have considerably more post-1918 production short rifles in my survey than you have.  For instance, you show significantly fewer than (10) for the year 1920, whereas I have (11) of them documented for that year.

Don,

Of interest, S/N 1050645 is identically configured to the subject rifle, and both were manufactured on 7/8/1929.

Bert

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 26, 2021 - 5:56 pm

Thanks Don, a new one. A $4500 bargain!

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
August 26, 2021 - 6:39 pm

pdog72 said
Thanks Don, a new one. A $4500 bargain!  

No kidding!  It’s located only about an hour away from me so I wouldn’t even have to pay for shipping…

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 4, 2021 - 4:52 pm

Hi Gary,

Found this one on Gunbroker.  It’s a little rough but it is a 32-40:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912203664

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 6, 2021 - 6:20 pm
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 6, 2021 - 6:25 pm
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
October 16, 2021 - 2:43 am

deerhunter said
Hi Gary,

Found this one on Gunbroker.  It’s a little rough but it is a 32-40:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912203664

Don  

22″ w/ long wood …….. is that what you are seeing Don?   A new entry and yes, a bit on the rough side. Great caliber though. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
October 16, 2021 - 2:53 am

deerhunter said
Found another one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912623100

Don  

A new entry ….. thx.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
October 16, 2021 - 2:58 am

deerhunter said
And another:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912013929  

Another interesting one to add … thx. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 16, 2021 - 3:01 am

pdog72 said

22″ w/ long wood …….. is that what you are seeing Don?   A new entry and yes, a bit on the rough side. Great caliber though.   

Hi Gary,

It looks like the long forearm to me as well.

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 5, 2022 - 12:06 am

Question for Gary (pdog72),

How many full octagon extra lights do you have in your 1894 short rifle survey compared to round and half-octagon?  It seems the full octagon extra light barrels are much harder to come by.  In particular, I’m looking at a 24-inch full octagon extra light, full magazine, takedown, set trigger 1894.

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 5, 2022 - 1:11 am

deerhunter said
Question for Gary (pdog72),

How many full octagon extra lights do you have in your 1894 short rifle survey compared to round and half-octagon?  It seems the full octagon extra light barrels are much harder to come by.  In particular, I’m looking at a 24-inch full octagon extra light, full magazine, takedown, set trigger 1894.

Don  

Hi Don,

You are correct. The octagon ELW’s are fairly scarce. 

Out of 689 rifles I have logged, there are:

• 194 total ELWs
  • 151 are round
  • 22 are 1/2 octagon
  • 19 are octagon   – Of which I own two of them. I had a third one but traded it off.

Four of those 19 are 24″. As you know, the round barrel ELWs have a ramp sight, with the exception of a few early ones. All of the OB ELW’s are dovetailed front sights and they are paper thin between the sight and the bore, especially the 38-55’s. That is one interesting (and scary) detail that goes along with this variation. I’m very fond of them myself. The rifle you describe above would definitely be a rarity. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
February 5, 2022 - 3:20 pm

Thanks for the stats Gary.  The octagon extra light barrels are the coolest looking variation in my opinion, especially matching that muzzle up to a full magazine.  How many of those 19 in your survey are full magazines? 

Don

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348