Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Short Rifle examples wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
December 31, 2017 - 5:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Those were all new entries to the survey for a total of 8 with the ELW’s from the other thread. Thank you very much. You have a very impressive collection from the various pictures you have been sharing this week. Congratulations on finding some very desirable configurations. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 66
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 31, 2017 - 3:32 pm

Gary,

Like most everyone on this forum I like to talk and look at great Winchester’s. If I get the chance to own them even better. I appreciate the surveys you and others do and look forward to tracking the results as you continue to add more entries.

Thanks again

Gary 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
January 1, 2018 - 2:42 am

started47 said
Gary,

Here are some 1894 short rifles to add to your survey.E62D62F5-D5AF-47E7-B24B-F46466D5E85E.jpegImage Enlarger

All are 24” barrels.

Top rifle S/N 157393  32/40 cal 24” round barrel, nickel steel,extra light, pistol grip, checkered shot gun butt,1/2 mag, TD, oil finish, engraved

$ 4.00, style #9

Second from top S/N 146612. 30 cal 24”round barrel, extra light, plane trigger, checkered pistol grip stock,1/2 mag, rubber butt, oil finish.

Third from top S/N 49756.  30 cal, TD, 24” Matted octagon barrel, trigger plane, shotgun butt, fancy checkered pistol grip stock, shot gun butt, sling eyes.

Bottom    S/N 68915. 30 cal, 24” octagon barrel, plane trigger,pistol grip checkered, 1/2 mag,   

Gary,

Thanks for sharing pictures of your impressive collection of Deluxe Winchesters. It must have taken you some time to assemble such a collection.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
January 1, 2018 - 2:00 pm

Ser# 244967 Letters as follows; ser# applied Nov. 15, 1904–type riflle–cal. 30–barrell type 1/2 oct.–barrell length 22 in.– extra light– checkered stock pistol grip (the tang is stampedxxx)–sights lyman front and rear–1/2 mag.– shotgun butt rubber plate–takedown–oil finish– shipped dec, 8 1904–rep. and ret. Nov. 11 1905 This piece is in app. 98% orig cond. Forearm 83/8″ also has a tang site. Ser# 602387 I think I already gave You 20″ , r.b. full mag , 83/8″ forestock and no other features.   Harry

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 1, 2018 - 4:46 pm

Harry

Thank you, that was a new one. And yes, I had the 20″ rifle along with a 24″ you gave me a while back. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
January 14, 2018 - 3:28 am

Hi Gary,

I was searching the web today and came across this one.  Do you have it in your survey?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/994688298/Winchester-1984-special-order-Mfg-1899.htm

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 14, 2018 - 4:51 am

Hello Don,

I just looked and yes, I have that one. That’s a pretty nice looking plain pistol grip, which is far less common than a checkered pistol grip. I like the 4 cartridge magazine too.

Thanks for always checking with me when you find them….. much appreciated.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 14, 2018 - 9:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

You’re very welcome Gary.  Thanks to you and all the other guys that are conducting these surveys.

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 24, 2018 - 4:09 am

Hi Gary,

This ELW was just listed on GB this evening.  Maybe a new one for your survey?  I see the Winter Collector magazine is now up on the website.  Some really good articles in there.  I really enjoyed your article and stats on the 1894 shorties–thank you for your contribution.  I still really like that .32-40 short rifle you have–looks a little familiar.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/741362746

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 25, 2018 - 5:23 am

I thought that was going to be a new one, but no such luck, it was already in the survey. Looking at it again, I am a little concerned about the stocks on it. I find it interesting that it has what appears to be the H style checkering on the buttstock, but has the cheaper I pattern on the forearm. Also, the I checkering seems to run too far up the sides of the forearm wood. Just a couple observations. Its definitely a factory short rifle, but something seems amiss with the wood. 

Thank you for the comments on the article, I’ve enjoyed gathering the data. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 25, 2018 - 6:11 am

Good catch on the checkering Gary.  I missed that at first glance.  I pulled out one of my I-checkered 1894’s and the GB gun is definitely different.  In addition to the forearm checkering running up too high on the sides, it looks way too coarse.  I agree there is something amiss about the wood.

Don

daniel w wesen waca
WACA Guest
January 25, 2018 - 4:03 pm

i have a model 1894 serial #624191  number assigned 1912 cresent butt, 20″ oct. bbl, full mag, 8 3/8 forearm, cal. 30wcf. when i got the gun it came with a letter of authenticity by george madis stating that all features were correct as manufactured, the letter is not dated but i think it is from the late 1970s or early 1980  thanks for the good article i enjoy any and all winchester info.  dww

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 26, 2018 - 2:35 am

daniel w wesen waca said
i have a model 1894 serial #624191  number assigned 1912 cresent butt, 20″ oct. bbl, full mag, 8 3/8 forearm, cal. 30wcf. when i got the gun it came with a letter of authenticity by george madis stating that all features were correct as manufactured, the letter is not dated but i think it is from the late 1970s or early 1980  thanks for the good article i enjoy any and all winchester info.  dww  

Thank you sir, that is a new one for the survey.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
January 26, 2018 - 4:05 am

Gary-

Thanks to the article in the latest WACA magazine my shooting buddy realized he’s had a short rifle in his collection for awhile. Will look it over soon and pass along the info, pretty sure it will be a new entry. My ‘smith has been sitting on my short 94 for well over a year, will see if I can get it back sometime soon. IIRC you don’t have it in your survey.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 26, 2018 - 4:15 am

Sounds great, Mike. Always glad to add more entries.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 3, 2018 - 4:50 pm

For those of you who have contributed to the survey with rifles that have the short fore-end wood, either 8 3/8″ or 7 3/8″, I have another data point I would like to gather some information on. 

As has been discussed, all the examples with short wood seem to have the rear site position moved back an inch as well. (4″ from receiver, rather than 5″ on a rifle with standard wood). I had found a few rifles here and there with this measurement at 3 1/2″ and was thinking this was on some take-down models. To be honest, I really hadn’t paid much attention to this. After another individual submitted a rifle with the 3 1/2″ sight position recently, I checked some of mine and found (3) of them. Only one is a TD rifle, proving this sight position also shows up on solid frame short rifles with short wood. 

**So, if any of you have an 1894 short rifle with short wood, let me know if you find one with the 3 1/2″ sight position. If its already in my survey, just post the serial number and measurement on this thread.

As always, thanks for your help.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
February 9, 2018 - 11:02 pm

Gary-

Finally got a look at my shooting buddy’s short rifle today:

30WCF

half round 24″ normal contour barrel

9 3/8″ fore end

half mag

rear sight dovetail 5″ from receiver

rifle butt

solid frame

Should be a new entry, hasn’t changed hands in over 30 years. He never realized it was a short rifle until reading the article in the current WACA magazine.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 9, 2018 - 11:46 pm

Yes, that was a new one for the survey. I have (95) 24″ rifles in the survey and only 6 of them are that particular configuration. Once you start adding in the TD’s and ELWs the numbers go up. 

Thanks for your help, Mike.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
February 9, 2018 - 11:50 pm

My pleasure, I really enjoyed looking at this exceptionally nice rifle.

Still waiting to get mine back, hope my ‘smith can find it.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
February 25, 2018 - 9:40 pm

Finally! Shooting buddy picked up my short rifle yesterday. I don’t think our ‘smith likes working on some old guns, pretty sure he’s had it about two years. 

30WCF

20″ OB

8 3/8″ fore arm wood

rear sight dovetail 4″ from receiver

Rifle butt

Sorry it took so long. Thought maybe it had a carbine butt and shorter fore end wood. Glad I waited to check. Should be a new entry.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: pdog72, deerhunter
Guest(s) 210
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323