Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 56/57 Research Survey
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 28, 2018 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

JWA said

Hi Larry,

Yes, there are 7 consecutive pairs listed so far (and I own one set of them).  The closest numbers to your 1903 in the survey are currently 1883 and 1911. 

Your Model 56 serial number 1903 is smack in the middle of a block of Model 56’s in .22 Long Rifle so it is likely the numbers consecutive to your rifle are also a 56 in .22 Long Rifle as it seems they were made in “batches” early in production.

Does yours have a blued bolt BODY or is it in the white?

Best Regards,  

It’s a 22 short and the body is blued. Thanks, Big larry

Forum Posts: 2110
January 29, 2018 - 12:36 am

Big Larry said

It’s a 22 short and the body is blued. Thanks, Big larry  

Larry,

Thanks for the clarification, I had 1903 erroneously listed as .22 LR.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

mou5e
WACA Guest
January 30, 2018 - 1:52 am

I have a 57 that was left to me by my grandfather when he passed that doesn’t seem to follow any of the trends I see here, so my guess is he modified it over the years…A picture may be needed to help with identification and all that, but it is a 57, serial #7662. It has the Lyman ghost ring and I believe the upgraded front blade. It doesn’t have a barrel band, but the forward end of the stock is darker wood like the model 70s. It has been embellished with some hand engraving and has the larger Winchester magazine. It is a 22lr and has either lost all of its bluing or has a stainless barrel. I feel like I have more questions than the info is worth now that I’ve been researching it – all I know is it put many a rabbit or squirrel on the table when my Paw-Paw lived in the boonies of Idaho growing up. I would love to know when it was made without taking it apart if possible, and (not that I’m going to be adjusting it) if the ghost ring should have hash marks for windage adjustment as it does for elevation; that’s just odd to me!! Oh, one more piece of info: the barrel seems awful short to me for a rifle of the time, maybe denoting the “sporter” moniker?? I didn’t put a tape to it, but I can tell it’s no longer than 16″. I hope this info helps and welcome any answers I can get!! Thanks for the work you guys are putting into cataloging this obscure piece of Winchester history!!

January 30, 2018 - 12:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

mou5e said
I have a 57 that was left to me by my grandfather when he passed that doesn’t seem to follow any of the trends I see here, so my guess is he modified it over the years…A picture may be needed to help with identification and all that, but it is a 57, serial #7662. It has the Lyman ghost ring and I believe the upgraded front blade. It doesn’t have a barrel band, but the forward end of the stock is darker wood like the model 70s. It has been embellished with some hand engraving and has the larger Winchester magazine. It is a 22lr and has either lost all of its bluing or has a stainless barrel. I feel like I have more questions than the info is worth now that I’ve been researching it – all I know is it put many a rabbit or squirrel on the table when my Paw-Paw lived in the boonies of Idaho growing up. I would love to know when it was made without taking it apart if possible, and (not that I’m going to be adjusting it) if the ghost ring should have hash marks for windage adjustment as it does for elevation; that’s just odd to me!! Oh, one more piece of info: the barrel seems awful short to me for a rifle of the time, maybe denoting the “sporter” moniker?? I didn’t put a tape to it, but I can tell it’s no longer than 16″. I hope this info helps and welcome any answers I can get!! Thanks for the work you guys are putting into cataloging this obscure piece of Winchester history!!  

Hi mou5e,

Your Grandfather’s rifle was made in 1927 and if the barrel is original it will probably be marked “27” on the underside near the receiver.  As Bert mentioned previously, if the barrel is stainless steel it will be marked “- Stainless Steel -” like the photo.  The stainless barrels are also usually marked with “ST” on the underside near the barrel date.  Interestingly, serial number 7667 (5 from your number) has a stainless steel barrel, 1 of only 8 noted in the survey so far.

57-Stainless-Barrel.jpgImage Enlarger

From your description it sounds like your Grandfather’s rifle has been customized/sporterized to suit his needs and taste.  A bobbed barrel and lighter stock would certainly make the 57 more handy and wieldable in the field without sacrificing much in the way of accuracy.  If you can post (or email me) some clear pictures of the sights we can probably identify them for you.

Thanks for contributing your information to the survey and enjoy your piece of family history.

Regards,

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Albert Zinn
WACA Guest
March 2, 2018 - 8:13 pm

I have just acquired Model 57 serial #18466 in cal. .22LR.   Standard sporter with folding leaf rear sight and Lyman side mounted peep. Magazine follower is stamped: “.22 Long R. ”  Would be happy to provide photos if required.  

Regards,  Al Zinn

March 3, 2018 - 5:00 pm

Hi Al,

Thanks for adding your information to the survey! 

Your rifle likely has a barrel date of 1928 and should be marked “28” on the underside of the barrel in front of the receiver.

No photos are required but we are always happy to see them.

Best Regards,

Greggovich
WACA Guest
March 17, 2018 - 2:14 am

Hello,

I recently inherited a Winchester Model 57, Serial # 58098 which I believe was manufactured in 1931.  Hope this helps you out.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
March 17, 2018 - 4:53 am

The serial number you mention is not possible. It is nearly 30,000 numbers too high. Please double check it, and let us know what it actually is.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Art Taylor
WACA Guest
March 31, 2018 - 8:58 pm

Hello:

Have a model 57  #2092 , barrel date 26  22 short non recessed chamber . Original folding barrel sight, Replaced front sight and Lyman receiver sight . Wood refinished  ,metal condition VG. Non original sling. Original metal butt plate.

Hope this helps!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
April 1, 2018 - 12:31 am

Hello Art,

It does help, and thank you for contributing to the research survey!

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

April 2, 2018 - 7:03 pm

Art Taylor said
Hello:

Have a model 57  #2092 , barrel date 26  22 short non recessed chamber . Original folding barrel sight, Replaced front sight and Lyman receiver sight . Wood refinished  ,metal condition VG. Non original sling. Original metal butt plate.

Hope this helps!  

Art,

Thanks for the information, I have added your rifle to the survey.  Thanks for participating!

Best Regards,

Mou5e
WACA Guest
April 20, 2018 - 1:54 am

JWA said

mou5e said

Hi mou5e,

Your Grandfather’s rifle was made in 1927 and if the barrel is original it will probably be marked “27” on the underside near the receiver.  As Bert mentioned previously, if the barrel is stainless steel it will be marked “- Stainless Steel -” like the photo.  The stainless barrels are also usually marked with “ST” on the underside near the barrel date.  Interestingly, serial number 7667 (5 from your number) has a stainless steel barrel, 1 of only 8 noted in the survey so far.

57-Stainless-Barrel.jpgImage Enlarger

From your description it sounds like your Grandfather’s rifle has been customized/sporterized to suit his needs and taste.  A bobbed barrel and lighter stock would certainly make the 57 more handy and wieldable in the field without sacrificing much in the way of accuracy.  If you can post (or email me) some clear pictures of the sights we can probably identify them for you.

Thanks for contributing your information to the survey and enjoy your piece of family history.

Regards,  

I apologize for the delay in getting pictures together, I quoted the post so you wouldn’t get lost…My 57 is NOT stainless, just lost it’s blueing – it was put to good use I’m sure!! The barrel has not been shortened, but you will notice the stock has definitely had some work done; notice the absence of a barrel band, and dark wood at the front of the forend (resembles a Model 59), yet the original butt plate is retained. The magazine is original, to my understanding, because it does not have a model # on it. The magazine does need some TLC to repair where it catches, but the rest of the rifle seems mechanically sound and I can’t wait to pop a soda can!! I don’t know if my Grandpa did the engraving, but I think it’s beautiful!! Any tips before taking it to the range to fire off a few in honor of my Paw-Paw?? If there’s something else you’d like a closer picture of or anything please just let me know…

Thanks for everything,

-Shawn

View post on imgur.com

April 21, 2018 - 12:42 pm

Shawn,

That is a neat piece of family history, thanks for sharing the information and photos!

You will find the Model 57 to be a very accurate rifle.  For field carry I prefer a shorter magazine than the 10 round version.  5 shot and single shot adapter magazines are still available for it from various sources.  The Wisner magazines are the best quality (and the lowest price).  They simply have a “W” stamped on the floorplate.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
April 28, 2018 - 5:30 am

Found a model 56 on GB for the survey:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766782788

Don

April 30, 2018 - 12:08 pm

deerhunter said
Found a model 56 on GB for the survey:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766782788

Don  

Deerhunter,

Thanks for the heads-up!

Best Regards,

Randy
WACA Guest
May 14, 2018 - 2:21 am

Hello, just saw your survey and wanted to participate. Just fell into one of these Model 57s by chance. Mine has a serial # of 13866 from 1929. It’s chambered in 22LR with Peep sights

May 14, 2018 - 1:05 pm

Thanks for you information!  I have added it to the survey. 

Your rifle falls into a group with barrel dates of 1927 so your rifle is probably earlier than 1929 and was likely made in 1927.  The date of manufacture information for the Model 56/57 published by Madis is off by several years.

Congrats on your acquisition, they are very accurate rifles, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Best Regards,

James H.
WACA Guest
June 28, 2018 - 2:10 am

Model 56, #14800, .22LR, Blued. Wood has the initials HDB stamped in several places. Do not see a number stamped on barrel. Front sight looks original, rear sight kind of folds and is stamped M.S.A. Co, Gladstone Mich. Shoots great but has some surface corrosion. Was given to me from my grandfather’s estate in 2001 and has sat in my father’s gun case ever since. Need to have it cleaned up and inspected. Unfortunately, I cannot locate original 5rd mag. Looking for an original.

June 28, 2018 - 10:52 pm

James H. said
Model 56, #14800, .22LR, Blued. Wood has the initials HDB stamped in several places. Do not see a number stamped on barrel. Front sight looks original, rear sight kind of folds and is stamped M.S.A. Co, Gladstone Mich. Shoots great but has some surface corrosion. Was given to me from my grandfather’s estate in 2001 and has sat in my father’s gun case ever since. Need to have it cleaned up and inspected. Unfortunately, I cannot locate original 5rd mag. Looking for an original.  

Thanks James,

Your rifle is a new addition to the survey, I appreciate the input!

Your rifle was likely made in 1927 and probably has a “27” barrel date on the underside of the barrel near the receiver.  The original magazines do come up for sale occasionally on eBay, you need the one marked “.22 Long, R.” on the follower. to be correct although any of the genuine .22 LR Winchester magazines and the aftermarket magazines marked “W” on the floor plate will work equally well.

Best Regards,

Tom Griswold
WACA Guest
July 26, 2018 - 10:52 pm

I bought a Model 57 some years back from Antique and Modern Firearms in Lexington. Kentucky.  She is #6243 and is 22 LR.  I haven’t pulled the barrel.  I shoot her several times a week from my deck, usually with CCI CB Longs which run fine through the magazine as long as I don’t get too enthusiastic.  She has the original magazine which I keep loaded with CCI 22 SGB cartridges, just in case something that bleeds needs to be shot.  I have an original 22 short magazine for her and two of the W marked magazines for the CB Longs.  She sports a folding leaf and the original Lyman receiver sight with the removable disc, which I seldom use.  The front sight is an unmarked tunnel with a square top blade.  

Her condition is collectible but just a bit tatty,  as is her original Nobukl sling.

Her bore looks darn near new, at least it will when I run a patch through it.  Embarassed

She is by far my favorite 22 rifle.  Smile

Let me know if pix would help.

God bless all y’all!

Tom

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281