Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 56/57 Research Survey
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Tim Whitley
WACA Guest
February 27, 2017 - 12:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

For your survey, I have a 1928 Model 57 22 long rifle in good condition.  Serial #11902 with Lyman sight, 5 round mag, nobuckl strapping, front sight has a white bead.  The barrel end is also machined to take a maxim silencer.  The machining is protected by a screw on end cap that covers only the threads.

Would you have an estimated value?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 28, 2017 - 5:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

JWA travels a lot and it might be awhile before he gets back to you about the survey info and the estimated value that you have requested.  One thing he will likely ask you to do is post up good, clear pictures of your rifle, to include, one showing the threaded barrel end, which should show interrupted threads (one factory method) so that the cap and/or silencer could be attached or removed with a slight twist.   In terms of the sling, you might want to measure the entire length of it as well, because he sometimes requests this information, too.  You might also know that the Nobuckl slings are very difficult to come by for the average person, and fifteen to twenty years ago, the Blue Book of Gun Values showed a 25% premium for it, and that might likely be a bargain to the right collector.

James

Forum Posts: 2110
February 28, 2017 - 10:58 pm

Tim Whitley said
For your survey, I have a 1928 Model 57 22 long rifle in good condition.  Serial #11902 with Lyman sight, 5 round mag, nobuckl strapping, front sight has a white bead.  The barrel end is also machined to take a maxim silencer.  The machining is protected by a screw on end cap that covers only the threads.

Would you have an estimated value?  

Tim,

I have added your Model 57 to the survey, thanks for participating!  The published dates of manufacture for the Model 56 and 57 are slightly off.  Your rifle was likely made in 1927 and probably has a 27 barrel date on the underside of the barrel in front of the receiver.

As Jwm94 mentioned, good, clear, close-up photos help tremendously when establishing a value.  Without photos we can only give you a ballpark range of $250-$500.  If the Kerr Nobuckl sling is the commercial version supplied by Winchester (not military surplus) it could have a value of $100+ in excellent condition.  If the follower on the 5 round magazine is marked for long rifle it has a value of $40-$50+ in good condition by itself.  If the barrel threads were done by Winchester it could add even more value.  It is all these little details that add or subtract from the overall value of these collectable rifles and why photos are important.

Again, thanks for participating and we would love to see pictures of your rifle if you get a chance.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

David Becker
WACA Guest
March 12, 2017 - 5:35 pm

Model 57 serial number 28189 barrel date 32  cms217 mark

JPH
WACA Guest
March 15, 2017 - 1:47 pm

I have Model 56 22LR

SN 9969

Factory checkering

Unfortunately, front & rear sights removed & aftermarket scope installed (dovetail blank in rear barrel sight mount) & sling swivels added

Have not removed barreled action to check barrel date

March 24, 2017 - 10:56 pm

David Becker said
Model 57 serial number 28189 barrel date 32  cms217 mark  

Thanks for the input!  Yours is a new one for the survey.

Regards,

March 24, 2017 - 10:59 pm

JPH said
I have Model 56 22LR

SN 9969

Factory checkering

Unfortunately, front & rear sights removed & aftermarket scope installed (dovetail blank in rear barrel sight mount) & sling swivels added

Have not removed barreled action to check barrel date  

Thanks for the addition!  Your barrel date is probably 1927 (27 on the underside of the barrel).

I appreciate your input into the survey.

Regards,

Stephen Atwood
WACA Guest
May 28, 2017 - 7:52 am

Jeff,  

I stumbled across your survey when I was trying to learn about my grandmother’s Model 57, 22 long rifle.  The bluing is pretty thin, but there is no rust.  It has a flip up iron sight and a peep sight that has the word “LYMAN” stamped into it.  The serial # is 22645 and the barrel date is 26.  Hope this helps.  

Best regards,

Stephen

May 29, 2017 - 2:05 pm

Stephen Atwood said
Jeff,  

I stumbled across your survey when I was trying to learn about my grandmother’s Model 57, 22 long rifle.  The bluing is pretty thin, but there is no rust.  It has a flip up iron sight and a peep sight that has the word “LYMAN” stamped into it.  The serial # is 22645 and the barrel date is 26.  Hope this helps.  

Best regards,

Stephen  

Stephen,

Thanks for participating in the survey!  I have added your Grandmother’s rifle to the list.  Based on the serial number and the surrounding rifles in the survey the rifle was made between late 1930 and early 1931.  The sights as you describe them are correct for the Model 57.  Are you sure about the barrel date of “26”?  It should more likely be “30” or “31”.

Again, thanks for adding to the survey and let us know if you need any additional information regarding the Model 57.

Best Regards,

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
June 4, 2017 - 2:25 am

I have one for you.  It was my dad’s, and possible his before that, I’ll have to ask.

*Edit* Just asked my dad, and he said his dad bought it as a kid.  So, probably the original owners.

Model 57 S/N 10109

Barrel blued, Loops for strap (Leather strap) 

Has original sights, fold down rear, but has a scope attached. 

Has the original 5 rnd. mag.  I keep meaning to buy a 10 rnd.  🙂

June 5, 2017 - 1:43 pm

Grumpy_Badger said
I have one for you.  It was my dad’s, and possible his before that, I’ll have to ask.

*Edit* Just asked my dad, and he said his dad bought it as a kid.  So, probably the original owners.

Model 57 S/N 10109

Barrel blued, Loops for strap (Leather strap) 

Has original sights, fold down rear, but has a scope attached. 

Has the original 5 rnd. mag.  I keep meaning to buy a 10 rnd.  🙂  

Thank you Sir!

Your 57 was made in 1927 and probably sold retail the same year.  I have added it to the survey, thanks for the information!

What caliber is it?  .22 Short or .22 Long Rifle?

Thanks again and Best Regards,

July 17, 2017 - 4:22 am

Good news! I found 3 more Model 57’s displayed for sale at the WACA Cody show that were not in the survey. 

I just wanted to bump this survey thread to remind everyone of the importance of participating in these surveys to further our understanding of the manufacturing evolution of the Winchester models, especially those with limited surviving documentation like the Model 56 and 57.  The serial numbers are always kept confidential and can be PM’d or emailed if you are uncomfortable with posting them online.

As of today there are currently 484 entries in the Model 56/57 survey which accounts for over 1.5% of the total production.  144 Model 56 and 334 Model 57 with a few unknowns (stripped receivers) in the mix. 

Thanks to all that have participated!  Some patterns and serial number demarcation changes are already developing in the survey results which I will be able to share with you all soon.

Best Regards,

PS; Special thanks to EW (3Dub) who tirelessly scours the internet auction sites for new data.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 94
July 20, 2017 - 1:26 am

Ahh; so that’s what I’m up to – “furthering our understanding”……

Laugh

July 20, 2017 - 12:54 pm

3Dub said
Ahh; so that’s what I’m up to – “furthering our understanding”……

Laugh  

Yup, among other things 😉

Bill H.
WACA Guest
October 25, 2017 - 12:08 am

Found you’re survey while searching for a value for my 56. My 56 is a first year gun. Serial No. 510; Barrel Date 26 following that is 217 (B). The B is inverted.

Cal. is .22 Long Rifle. The rear sight dovetail has a filler. The rear sight is a target sight ( Lyman 42) correct for the rifle as is the King front sight with a bead.. I sent the rifle to George Madis for inspection and he returned gun with a nice letter verifying it’s originality. Hope this helps you’re survey

Bill 

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
November 16, 2017 - 4:11 pm

Hi Jeff,

I found this model 56 for your survey.  I contacted Ward’s Auction and they gave me the serial number–11402.  Too bad it’s been refinished.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=4036

Don

November 17, 2017 - 11:50 am

Bill H. said
Found you’re survey while searching for a value for my 56. My 56 is a first year gun. Serial No. 510; Barrel Date 26 following that is 217 (B). The B is inverted.

Cal. is .22 Long Rifle. The rear sight dovetail has a filler. The rear sight is a target sight ( Lyman 42) correct for the rifle as is the King front sight with a bead.. I sent the rifle to George Madis for inspection and he returned gun with a nice letter verifying it’s originality. Hope this helps you’re survey

Bill   

Bill,

Sorry for the delay, I just noticed your post.  Thanks for your info, it is very helpful and I have added your rifle to the survey.  Your rifle has an interesting King front sight which was not the standard on the Model 56.

Thanks again for the information.

Best Regards, 

November 17, 2017 - 12:07 pm

deerhunter said
Hi Jeff,

I found this model 56 for your survey.  I contacted Ward’s Auction and they gave me the serial number–11402.  Too bad it’s been refinished.

Don  

Hi Don,

Thanks for the information and link!  Interestingly that same rifle (11402) is already in the survey and just sold at the June 25, 2017 RIA auction.  It is the bottom rifle in the RIA auction catalog photos (below).

RIA did not list it as a “professional refinish”, the RIA description read “OB – EXCELLENT: all original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal; unmarred wood”.

I bid on that lot of 4 rifles at the RIA auction in June but they went for a bit more than I thought they were worth ($6,325 plus the juice).

Again, thanks for the info!

Best Regards,

6578-2.jpgImage Enlarger6578-1-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
November 17, 2017 - 3:36 pm

JWA said

deerhunter said
Hi Jeff,

Don  

Hi Don,

Thanks for the information and link!  Interestingly that same rifle (11402) is already in the survey and just sold at the June 25, 2017 RIA auction.  It is the bottom rifle in the RIA auction catalog photos (below).

RIA did not list it as a “professional refinish”, the RIA description read “OB – EXCELLENT: all original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal; unmarred wood”.

I bid on that lot of 4 rifles at the RIA auction in June but they went for a bit more than I thought they were worth ($6,325 plus the juice).

Again, thanks for the info!

Best Regards,

6578-2.jpgImage Enlarger6578-1-1.jpgImage Enlarger  

That’s interesting how these guns move around.  Perhaps Ward’s has the description wrong regarding the re-finish.  If so, someone will probably get a pretty good deal if the “refinish” holds the price down. 

Connor
WACA Guest
December 8, 2017 - 11:57 pm

Recently received a Model 56 short that belonged to my Grandfather and my father. Unfortunately it was not purchased new by my family, but has still been with us for over 50 years. It’s in great condition with an original 5 round magazine and what appears to be the original sights. For your survey, I believe the serial number is 1004. Don’t see a number on the underside of the barrel, so guessing date is ’27. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, wally, Manuel, clarence, Keydet15, TR, Dave M., Jeremy P, Gene Moses
Guest(s) 174
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726