Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
Search results for '70 target' (8539)

…for help to verify authenticity on this 300 savage. It’s supposedly new in the box. I know just enough to get me into real trouble on rare model 70 rifles. Any help would be appreciated.

Gerald

February 19, 2019 3:07 pm
Views: 1734

*** Sorry, all the search terms matched were in html attributes (such as image source) and are not displayed in the results excerpt

February 19, 2019 2:32 pm
Views: 1030

…is not a target model. It is a standard G6901R. The second most common M69-A. Tapered forearm, most likely post WW2. The pre war guns have a blunt forearm and

February 18, 2019 4:36 pm
Views: 1018

…he realizes that he is just a caretaker at this juncture as he cannot take his collection with him which includes this rifle and several other M70's in .358. Thanks again for the insight and God bless.

…sight

Receiver sight is 80a model with flat side receiver

Stock has tapered foreend

Receiver is grooved for scope

Seller identifies it as a Target Model 

any help appreciated as to identifying approximate date of manufacture and originality.

Binky
February 18, 2019 2:19 am
Views: 1018

…want the Simmons in Olathe, KS. Their address is:

700 Rogers Road # A, Olathe, KS 66062. 

Phone number is:  (913) 782-3131
Olathe is just on the West side of Kansas City on

February 17, 2019 2:44 am
Views: 839

…stephenking-

Interesting rifle...  Your friend's (S/N 348132) does indeed appear to be a twin to the one shown in photo 8-28 in Rule's M70 book.  As it happens the one in the book (S/N 320167; ex-Sam Sanders collection) is currently owned by a fellow WACA member, and he tells me his…

…s rifle, while not "unique", is one of a very small number in that configuration and chambering.

According the the information in Rule's book, M70s could be built on-order with a straight grip stock from sometime in the early '50s until 1955 (the year these two were made).  So there are…

…other "straight grip" M70s out there, but not many.

All that said, if authentic, your friend's rifle would likely be of considerable interest to many relatively advanced M70 collectors.  I am not questioning the authenticity of your gun at all, just pointing out that I have seen "fake" straight grip 70 FWTs sell at…

…a mint .358 WIN FWT and come up with a number in the vicinity of $6750.  Maybe more, maybe less...  For comparison, other desirable collector M70s, like high condition pre-war Super Grades in uncommon (but not rare) chamberings, like .220 SWIFT, .257 ROBERTS, .375 MAGNUM, etc. can fetch …

…quite like playing the slot machines, but to "win big" you need at least two bidders who want it bad going after it. Since some fake straight grip M70s have been sold in the past couple of years, a lot of potential bidders are going to be shy, even when the gun is legit (as your friend's appears to

…and looked remarkably good but you could definitely see the parallel lines. As a condition factor does this hurt the value? I would rate the rifle 70 to 75%.

Thanks

MWK  

To me, those lines show honesty and character and would not detract any further from the overall graded condition of the

February 16, 2019 4:46 pm
Views: 1430

…and looked remarkably good but you could definitely see the parallel lines. As a condition factor does this hurt the value? I would rate the rifle 70 to 75%.

Thanks

MWK

February 16, 2019 3:09 pm
Views: 1430

…and confirming my research. I am not certain what happened to the pictures I posted but here are links:

http://foxcarbine.com/images/701.jpg

http://foxcarbine.com/images/702.jpg

http://foxcarbine.com/images/703.jpg

http://foxcarbine.com/images/704.jpg

Any help with a

…how many were made in this style. One like your friend's is shown on page 257 of Roger Rule's book " The Rifleman's Rifle".

The standand model 70 in the 358 caliber was only made in the year 1955. About 2000 were believed to have been made. Some of these were sent back to Winchester and…

…(how many of the 2000 is not known) Winchester did not have a recall but would rebarrel to a different caliber free of charges.

I had a Model 70 in the 358 caliber a few years back - shot it occasionally and had no problem. If I had known at that time what the value was going to, I would…

…have kept it. A 95+ condition original Winchester pre-64 Model 70 in the 358 caliber will sell in the $3500 - $4500 range.

Value of your friend's ????? It would depend on how bad someone wanted it and how

…everyone... I just joined with the hopes of being able to find out some more information on a Winchester Model 70 that a friend and fellow shooting club member owns. He is an older gentleman who purchased this rifle back in 1962, has owned it since and never…

…fired it. He has asked me if I could find out more information on it beyond what we know. This is a model 70 featherweight chambered in .358 Win with a S/N that dates to 1955. I believe this is a class 3 special order based upon one reference I found in a

*** Sorry, all the search terms matched were in html attributes (such as image source) and are not displayed in the results excerpt

February 14, 2019 9:38 pm
Forum: What's New!
Views: 1728

February 14, 2019 3:31 am

February 12, 2019 6:55 pm
Views: 676

…to forum. Looking for M70 Fwt stock; Monte Carlo w/steel butt plate for .30-06.  Let me know what you have and price.  Thanks.

Arvid Lacy // 707.496.6945 // [email protected]

February 12, 2019 6:13 pm
Views: 676

…the Fire,

Does anyone have a Win. Model 69A Target Stock they would like to part with?

One of my latest endeavors is getting a better looking stock for my Model 69A.

Any help is

February 12, 2019 1:06 am
Views: 737

…of the "fake" sporters you see are custom built sporters from modified target rifles. These are rifles with custom stocks, similar in appearance to the factory sporting stock. They will usually have the original 28" target

…in the case of an A or pre A, they will always have "flat top" receivers which have the large dovetail cut on rear bridge for the Winchester 82A target sight. The original sporting rifles were round tops with holes in LH side of receiver for a Lyman 48F micrometer receiver sight. There were a very…

…few pre A target rifles special ordered with a full round top receiver, but these were fitted at factory with a Lyman 48T receiver sight mounted on RH side of…

…of factory paperwork showing it was special ordered this way. I have yet to see any such provenance. Barrels were drilled/tapped quite often for target scope blocks also. There will usually be 2 holes in barrel for a block and 2 on receiver for rear block. Ground bolt handles are often seen. These

February 10, 2019 4:07 am
Views: 3667

February 9, 2019 3:34 am
Views: 1385

…for the additional info. I believe from the SN, to know what you have with some interpolation. A Winchester Model 670

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_670). Made with blind magazine. The SN of the 670 allegedly began at 100,000 in latter 1966…

…. The "U" prefix I believe is simply altered. If not, no answer.

Someone has screwed a Model 70 barrel on in swap and that "70" nomenclature, a false lead. The clip guide slots still not making sense. Perhaps a modification or...? I think you should try a 30-06

February 8, 2019 11:19 pm
Views: 2021

February 8, 2019 6:14 pm
Views: 2309

…SN, or at least a partial with "X" placeholders for last couple of digits? / Are whole number & U prefix centered on receiver ring?

"U 1705xx"  The serial number is sharp, clear and centered on the receiver ring.

3. Have you contacted Winchester to inquire? Yes, they had no idea,…

…). Barrel nomenclature now all on the right side, upside down

5. Can you quote the entire nomenclature on the barrel?

WINCHESTER (R) MODEL 70-30-06 SPRINGRG

MADE IN NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A. WINCHESTER PROOF STEEL

6. Possible to remove the barreled action from the stock to…

…consumed the forward hole.

8. Any seller/posessor info/assertions concerning the rifle? Said that it was used for NRA across the course in the 70's

Thanks again for thoughts on this action. A mystery to me.

…for the clarification and the pic. Yes, there are many variations of this rifle.I have never seen a variant of the M60-A Target Rifle though. As stated before, these are great little rifles and extremely accurate.   Big Larry

February 8, 2019 4:31 pm

…have a 1894 receiver (made in the early 70's) I picked up a few years back at a gun show with 44 mag barrel. I have since then traded away the 44 mag barrel and have screwed on a 32

February 8, 2019 4:04 am
Views: 1772

…of you guys have a M60-A Sporting rifle with the cutout in the bolt for the safety? I have never seen one except in a M60-A Target. Big Larry

Lawrence
February 7, 2019 4:49 pm

…said

I remember 30+ years ago what my 70 year old friends were collecting.  Only the very best of these guns bring good money today.  

So do I...very vividly! And it never occurred

…could be used to buy some guns.   The better guns hold their value.  Guns will always have some resale value.

I remember 30+ years ago what my 70 year old friends were collecting.  Only the very best of these guns bring good money today.

February 6, 2019 4:47 pm

February 6, 2019 4:40 pm

…over the last 10 to 20 years? I started my small collection of nice quality shooters a few years back but am thinking about taking some of my money targeted for retirement and buying "investment grade" Winchester rifles. My area of interest is lever action guns from the late 1800s to the early 1900s

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 628
Currently Online: 88 man, mrcvs, clarence, rwsem, Bill Hanzel
Guest(s) 45
Top Posters:
1873man: 5250
clarence: 4518
TXGunNut: 3974
Chuck: 3645
steve004: 3254
twobit: 2863
Maverick: 2036