Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
model 1894, 2 barrel sets
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1586
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 24, 2014 - 7:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

All this talk of cartridge guides seems kinda of funny to me.

Has anyone here actually assembled and fired multiple barrel sets?

As mentioned on the older post my old man has a Model 94 2-barrel set in 30wcf and 25-35 and they both shoot fine, chamber fine. Especially for calibers that aren’t suppose to interchange. And yes his set is outside of the letterable range but just barely. If I remember correctly its in the 400,000 serial range. This 2-barrel set has been in the family for 40 years or more. I’m not 100% sure its an original factory set but I’m pretty sure it is. But I also can’t letter it either.

Seems that what really matters is if you had a multiple barrel set, like the 5-barrel in question, Does it go Bang, Bang every time you chamber a Round and does it do so with every barrel?

Sincerely,
Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
March 24, 2014 - 10:40 am

Burt Humphrey said
Bert – there is an article on multiple barrel Winchesters in the Winchester Collector, Volume 19 Number 1 (Winter) 1996. It has the serial numbers from the ARMAX survey and also discusses other models. I would very careful spending much money on a Model 94 with more than one barrel after 354,000 – I have seen quite a few going back 40 years and they are parts guns. About 5 years ago a guy had a 5 barrel set at the winter show in Las-Vegas – it was in a nice glass display case and he had a lot of people convinced it was authentic – you would have picked it apart in a heartbeat. It was clearly refinished and the wood looked like it came from 6 different trees!

Any idea how I can get a copy of the Winchester Collector, Volume 19 Number 1 (Winter) 1996? I’d like to read the article on multiple barrel Winchesters.

Thanks,

Al

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 24, 2014 - 5:45 pm

Serial number 63261 letters as a 2-barrel set, but in 25-35 and 32-40. I have to wonder why the ARMAX listed it as a 38-55?

If anyone would like a copy of the research sheet, send me an email.

In regards to the cartridge OAL information that Chris posted, it appears to me that the length of the cartridge guide has very little to do with the ability to feed any of the five different cartridges.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
March 24, 2014 - 9:13 pm

Bert – thanks- it is starting to make a little more sense to my old brain. However, I have become even more skeptical of a five barrel set with all 5 of the 94 calibers like the one here in Alaska. And, I will never understand why someone would order a 94 with three 32/40 barrels like #297200. It’s not like a .264 magnum where you are going to wear out barrels!

Al – I thought old Collector issues were available thru WACA. If you have no other way to get the multiple barrel Winchester article from 1996, I can scan and e-mail it to you.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1043
March 24, 2014 - 9:42 pm

To potentially satisfy inquiring minds regarding the cartridge guide debate, and to satisfy my curiosity as to what cartridges will feed through the cartridge guides of different caliber rifles, I took all five 1894 cartridges and ran them through the action of both standard and takedown frame rifles of differing calibers to see which cartridge would successfully feed through the action of each different caliber of rifle, through the cartridge guides, and chamber (or partially chamber due to cartridge size). With the help of a good friend who had several of the rifles and takedowns that I did not, here are the results:

Takedown rifles:
38-55 Takedown: will feed all cartridge calibers
30-30 Takedown: will feed all cartridge calibers
32WS Takedown: will feed all cartridge calibers
32-40 Takedown: will only feed 25-35 or 32-40
25-35 Takedown: will only feed 25-35 or 32-40

Standard frame rifles:
35-55 SF: will feed all cartridge calibers
30-30 SF: will feed all cartridge calibers
32 WS: will feed all cartridge calibers
32-40 SF: will feed only 32-40 or 25-35
25-35 SF: will feed only 25-35 or 32-40

Other comments/observations:
The larger diameter cartridges of the 30-30, 32WS, and 38-55 will not pass between the cartridge guides for 32-40 and 25-35 actions due to the larger diameter of the cartridge case nearer the base/head. Also too, while not having all the caliber rifles to examine first hand, I did notice that the carrier for the 32-40 is milled differently where the cartridge rim engages the carrier from those that are 35-55, 32 WS, or 30-30. It may have more to do with the depth at which the carrier is milled to accept the cartridge rim than the cartridge guides.

When running the 25-35 or 32-40 ammo through the action of the other caliber rifles, it is a bit sloppy before the cartridge fully engages the carrier but feeds good through the cartridge guides and into the chamber when the carrier is raised.

If a multiple barrel set having 30-30, 32WS or 38-55 with an accompanying 32-40 or 25-35 barrel is desired, the solution is to use the cartridge guides for the 30-30, 32WS or 38-55 to make the receiver the recipient of all the cartridges. So yes, for those who have indicated in this post and others that the 25-35 and 32-40 cartridge guides are different, I would have to agree, although I dont have a set to examine any differences between each. Looking at the 32-40, 30-30, 32 WS, and 38-55 I have, I cant see a difference when installed in the receiver. But, in addition to the cartridge guides the carrier may also have to be changed to one that accepts the larger cartridges.

As with all things, are there exceptions to the rule, of course there could be. But this is how things panned out.

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
March 24, 2014 - 11:14 pm

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to do that testing for us. Nothing better than trying to put theory to practice.
Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
March 25, 2014 - 5:33 am

Valuable and informative post, Chris. Thank you.

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 25, 2014 - 6:36 am

Chris,

Great job and thanks for the investigation. It appears to prove what I previously mentioned… it is the case diameter that dictates what will (or will) not feed through the carrier properly. The cartridge OAL has very little (if anything) to do with it.

Bert

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 479
March 25, 2014 - 8:32 am

Al:

WACA does have a spare copy of the magazine you are looking for. Cost is $7.00 plus $3.00 postage to continental U.S. locations. Non-member price is $10.00 plus postage and foreign costs are higher due to postal rates.

Call Georgia at (541) 526-5929 and she can send it to you today.

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
March 25, 2014 - 2:33 pm

Burt Humphrey said
Bert – thanks- it is starting to make a little more sense to my old brain. However, I have become even more skeptical of a five barrel set with all 5 of the 94 calibers like the one here in Alaska. And, I will never understand why someone would order a 94 with three 32/40 barrels like #297200. It’s not like a .264 magnum where you are going to wear out barrels!

Al – I thought old Collector issues were available thru WACA. If you have no other way to get the multiple barrel Winchester article from 1996, I can scan and e-mail it to you.

Burt, thanks. I see Rick Hill has explained how I can get it through WACA. I’ll contact Georgia.
Thanks again.

Al

Northwest Missouri
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 120
November 12, 2022 - 4:45 am

https://www.proxibid.com/Guns-Military-Artifacts/Rifles/Winchester-94R-Takedown-Deluxe-32-WS-32-40cal-Rifle/lotInformation/72199394

If anyone is interested the 2 barrel set in 32-40 and 32 WS is for sale on Proxibid. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 12, 2022 - 4:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

That is not a factory original 2-barrel set.  Per Winchester’s literature, the 32 W.S. special could only be paired up with a 38-55 or a 30 WCF barrel, and the 32-40 could only be paired with a 25-35 WCF barrel.  The reason for this was because of the cartridge carriers.  That rifle will not correctly feed both the 32 WS and 32-40 cartridges.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
November 12, 2022 - 7:31 am

I vividly remember this interesting discusson – has been in hibernation for about 8 years. Personally, I would be very hesitant to buy a multi barrel Model 1894 unless it was one of those early enough to letter – not in this day of too much fakery. Whoever buys the two-barrel set gun in this auction will probably never see this thread or know about the feeding issues. A multi barrel Model 94 is certainly a rare and desirable Winchester to own and I think they have always been very hard to find. When Madis first published The Winchester Book he spent a lot of time doing research and had access to the best collections. I don’t think he ran into many multi-barrel 94’s as he did his research since in his book there are only two, 2-barrel sets and both are too late to letter. He also has one, 4 barrel set with two 30-30 barrels and two 38-55 barrels (full mag and half mag for each). At least those calibers would interchange and feed correctly. The 4 barrel gun is early enough to letter but the extra barrels don’t letter – the gun was R&R’d 3 times and Madis makes note “perhaps the gun was returned to fit the additional barrels”. Don’t spend too much money on a “perhaps”. As to the 5 barrel set from Alaska which I talked about in this thread, the gun was at Cabelas for awhile on consignment – they did not buy the gun. The gun was eventually returned to the owner because Cabelas received too many complaints about the gun not being correct. The gun owner subsequently passed away. I do not know the current location of the gun but would not be a bit surprised to see it available at auction sometime in the future.

Bobr94 - WACA member
WACA Guest
November 12, 2022 - 3:54 pm

I was surprised to see this thread continued after so long. I included the gun in my book after meeting the owner in Florida – he did not have the gun with him. He appeared to be a nice old dude and was very sincere if not a bit crotchety. After I discovered that the gun had been made-up I did not continue showing it, or even discussing it, in any publications bearing my name. I never did get a hands-on inspection, despite being invited to come up a stay with him in Alaska. It probably would have been a great experience as he claimed to have many, many, other Winchesters to show me and would also show me the sights. My latest iteration of my book can be had, as noted on the WACA homepage, as a downloadable PDF. The five-barreled set has been deleted. As noted elsewhere, there are not likely ANY Model 94 references without SOME errors or deletions — this is mainly due to time and new discoveries — I am sorry for anything in err you may find and will correct them as I find them or as they are reported, in any future book updates.

Cheers,

B

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261