Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 56/57 Research Survey
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 15, 2019 - 3:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Colsuper said
A Model 56 selling at  a local auction in Kansas City November 3, 2019.  

Lot 28: Winchester Model 56 Bolt Action .22 LR, Scarce Model, Mfd in 1930, Ser # 17602

If additional information is needed, I  will obtain at the auction.  

Kevin  

Hello Kevin,

Can you post the auction link so that we can take a look at any available pictures of the rifle?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Sportin life
WACA Guest
November 28, 2019 - 7:14 pm

JWA said
For the last 5 years I have been compiling a survey on the Model 56 and 57 .22 rimfire rifles.   Currently I have about 1.5% of the total production of both models logged and some interesting trends and anomalies have appeared in the data but I would like to increase the sampling to reinforce the statistics.  For those of you that have a 56 Sporter or 57 Target and are willing to share your information I would be grateful.

The survey currently tracks;

– Serial number (complete)

– Barrel date (2 digits located on the underside of the barrel near the receiver)

– Caliber (.22 Short or .22 Long Rifle)

– Factory upgrades (sights, stock checkering or scope)

– Non-factory upgrades/modifications (re-finishing wood or metal, aftermarket scopes, replacement parts) 

Thanks to everyone that has already participated.

Best Regards,  

Not sure if you’re still researching, but a friend gave me a Model 57 she found in her attic after her husband died. It is missing the bolt assembly (which I am desperately trying to replace; please let me know if you know where I can get one). It is in otherwise very good condition mechanically and the bluing is 95+%. Only flaw is the stock, which has some of the finish peeled off near the butt, and a small crack on the left side below the receiver. Serial number 25631; it is Long Rifle.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
November 30, 2019 - 3:49 am

The bolt is available on cfnparts.com 

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
December 19, 2019 - 6:41 pm

Recently purchased a Winchester Model 57 serial # 16984 manufacture date of 1929. Nice old rifle and in decent shape. Was missing a few parts, like the Aperture sight and Adjusting arm. Looked for several days and found out the Lyman sight  was Number 42W. And actually found one on ebay that was complete and in amazing condition. Check that off the list. Have disassembled and scrubbed it clean. So far all is good and the bore looks very decent for a 90 year old gun. The stock has 90 years of nicks, bumps, and bruises, but nothing that Mr. Birchwood/Casey and I can’t handle. My problem is in the Front Barrel Band. The original band is there (Patent Date and all) but it’s held in place by a small threaded screw and nut. Can’t imagine that is OEM….I see in the Parts Catalogs that it shows a 1. Front Barrel Band 2. Front Band Bow 3. Front Band Stop Pin (There is a stop pin in the stock, so I’m assuming that what they are referring to), so I’m not sure of what i am missing or what I need. I am Hoping that someone can offer me a few pictures of their Mod 57 Front Barrel Band Assembly….and Maybe a suggestion as to where the parts can be purchased. Poster morsece< Great Pictures….Cool

So Glad I found this Forum….or Should I say Glad the forum found me.

John O

WACA Guest
December 19, 2019 - 7:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Serial #: 16984

Barrel Date: 28

Caliber: 22 Long Rifle

Factory Upgrades: Standard Front Sight, Flip Up Rear Sight, Lyman 42W Peep Sight. Steel Butt Plate

Exposed steel has that Reddish Brown Aged Patina, under the wood is decent Blue Steel. Original 5rd Magazine

Purchased $250.00 at the Ogden Kansas gun Show on Dec 7 2019

Regards Back,

John O 

PS: Does anyone know where an Expanded Parts Diagram/Picture for the Win 57 may be purchased of found?

Cool

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
December 21, 2019 - 4:52 am

John,

Thank you for posting the detailed information about your Model 57. It has been added to the research survey. Jeff A. may have what you are looking for.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
December 21, 2019 - 6:03 pm

Thank You Bert H. What is the appropriate way to contact Jeff A. ? 

Jeff, if you have an expanded parts diagram of a Win 52, I would be very interested of receiving/buying one. 

John

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
December 21, 2019 - 6:11 pm

Give him a few days and he will likely jump on and see this. he tracks this survey thread. His name on here is JWA and hes a wealth of information.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Posts: 2110
December 22, 2019 - 3:41 am

[email protected] said
Thank You Bert H. What is the appropriate way to contact Jeff A. ? 

Jeff, if you have an expanded parts diagram of a Win 52, I would be very interested of receiving/buying one. 

John  

Hi John,

I have an exploded parts diagram of the Model 52, no worries, but I suspect you are looking for a diagram for the Model 57?

To answer your other questions, yes, the front barrel band is retained by a simple cross pin driven through the stock forend.  Since it is a simple pin you can make a replacement FAR easier than finding an original.

Let me know if you need the dimensions and I will be happy to help.  I am finally back CONUS for the Christmas holidays so you can PM or email me through the WACA website.

Happy Holidays to all!

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

JohnO
WACA Guest
December 22, 2019 - 6:25 pm

Thank you, and you are right. I would very much like an exploded parts picture of the Win 57….and is not too much trouble a picture of the barrel bnd and swivel of a Win 57. very kind of you to share your knowledge and enthusiasm of Winchester Rifles.

JohnO
WACA Guest
December 23, 2019 - 3:03 pm

Milsurp Garage said
Hi.  I would like to add my Model 57 to the database.

Serial No. – 10918

Barrel Date – 27

.22 Long Rifle

Steel butt plate

Missing Lyman sight

I have a YouTube channel where I have this specific gun featured if you want to have a look………..plenty of other Winchester .22’s posted up there as well.  

Thanks!  

Hello Milsurp Garage…enjoyed your video, but I need your help. The Win 57 I recently purchased is a pretty cool old gun, but it is missing the sling loop and the attaching assembly that would go to the front barrel band (which I have). The picture i see in you video at 8:53 shows the Band-Sling Loop-Nut? assemble, but I could use a better picture. It’s looking like you are my last hope, Because I cannot find an expanded parts picture anywhere. Is there a way that I can contact you or have you email me some close up pictures? Help! John O [email protected]

Canada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 35
January 13, 2020 - 4:10 am

Original sight Model 56 

.22 short

refinished wood ?

Poffy
WACA Guest
January 19, 2020 - 4:18 am

Hello.  I ran across this topic when searching info on my Model 57.

Ser. No. 22382 which Winchester site says is a 1931 year model

22″ Barrel  Has a 30 on bottom just ahead of the receiver and a triangle  1930 barrel date?

(B) 217 just ahead of the action mounting lug

Lyman rear peep/apperature sight and globe type front also Lyman

Stock has 48 stamped in the barrel channel right behind action lug and in front of receiver

Triangle with an I in middle in front of the receiver lug on bottom

Same triangle and I and a 6 or 9 on bottom of the bolt on the flat surface

Has what looks to be the same symbol or proof mark/trademark on barrel and just adjacent on the receiver.  Looks like a W P I all in one like the person who is very knowledgeable on here (Jim or John OR ?  Sorry)

Nice shape with brown/blue patina and shoots well 

Was my wife’s Dad’s a long time ago and found it in their house basement and cleaned it up

Thanks for the nice topic on this forum  GOOD JOB

John

Poffy
WACA Guest
January 19, 2020 - 10:39 pm

Sorry about the name being wrong.  I meant Jeff (JWA)

Regards,

John

February 23, 2020 - 2:10 pm

Poffy said
Hello.  I ran across this topic when searching info on my Model 57.

Ser. No. 22382 which Winchester site says is a 1931 year model

22″ Barrel  Has a 30 on bottom just ahead of the receiver and a triangle  1930 barrel date?

(B) 217 just ahead of the action mounting lug

Lyman rear peep/apperature sight and globe type front also Lyman

Stock has 48 stamped in the barrel channel right behind action lug and in front of receiver

Triangle with an I in middle in front of the receiver lug on bottom

Same triangle and I and a 6 or 9 on bottom of the bolt on the flat surface

Has what looks to be the same symbol or proof mark/trademark on barrel and just adjacent on the receiver.  Looks like a W P I all in one like the person who is very knowledgeable on here (Jim or John OR ?  Sorry)

Nice shape with brown/blue patina and shoots well 

Was my wife’s Dad’s a long time ago and found it in their house basement and cleaned it up

Thanks for the nice topic on this forum  GOOD JOB

John  

Hi Poffy, 

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Sounds like you have a very nice example!  The triangles are inspection stamps and the “30” is indeed the barrel date.

The “217” is the bore diameter between the lands and the proof mark on the receiver and barrel should be a “W” overlayed on a “P” in an oval which indicates Winchester Proof.

Thanks for contributing to the survey!

Best Regards,

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2339
February 23, 2020 - 4:32 pm

Jeff, did I ever send you the number of the M56 22LR I finally got? # 14928, “27” bbl. date. Correct 22LONGR   magazine. Big Larry

February 25, 2020 - 9:05 pm

Big Larry said
Jeff, did I ever send you the number of the M56 22LR I finally got? # 14928, “27” bbl. date. Correct 22LONGR   magazine. Big Larry  

Yep, you did, thanks!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 39
August 22, 2020 - 8:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

In case you’re still working on the survey:

Recently acquired at a local auction a Winchester Model 56 22LR, SN 13784, matching bolt.

Standard 40A rear and 75C front sporting sights, stock NOT inletted for a rear peep sight, has usual filled D&T peep sight holes.

Bolt body in the white, blue at rear and on handle.

Matching proof marks at wood line, fully horizontal, closely spaced. Barrel proof is immediately ahead of the receiver; receiver proof is ~0.4″ CtC behind.

Trigger guard unmarked (no “SPORTING”).

Stock is pretty scratched up, with a few dings, but no significant damage; does not appear to be refinished.

Exposed metal starting to get a plum patina; does not appear to be re-blued.

Barrel Date: 27 (given this, and the SN, would it be a 1927 DOM?)

Other markings under barrel: 217, Circle B, and triangle inspection marks. Indexing marks on barrel & receiver line up perfectly.

Bore looks bright, but rifling doesn’t seem quite as strong as my known low mileage Win 63 semi & Win 75 target.

Main blemish is two holes D&T’d on top of receiver, one above the front of the chamber, another just forward of the bolt handle. [Too bad the D&T wasn’t done for a barrel-mounted scope, as I have a nice Win 5X that would look good on the rifle….] Given the hole placement, any recommendations on a suitable base & scope, in case I want to explore that direction?

Took it to the range for the first time today. Trigger felt heavy compared to my Win 62 pump and my Win 75 target.  Later measured trigger pull at 4.1 lbs; may at some point see if I should try to “improve” it.

Shooting off a rest at 25 yds, got ~0.6″ 5-round groups with CCI SV, which I was quite pleased with given my relative lack of expertise with open sporting sights.

Overall, very happy with this sweet little rifle!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 147
August 23, 2020 - 2:28 am

JWA

I have a Winchester Model 56 S/N 6107 to add to your survey.

22 Long R

Barrel dated 26  217

standard sights 40A rear – 75C front.

Magazine marked 22 Long R

Original blue except may be some cold blue on trigger guard – floorplate.

RR

LSD
WACA Guest
January 17, 2021 - 5:02 pm

Hi just I’ve acquired a model 56 from my father in law. I don’t know very much about guns and don’t see any date codes for the barrel (probably because I don’t know the right place to look) but thought could possibly contribute to your survey. It’s in very good condition for it age and all the parts are identical to the model 56 you have in your post on rimfire.

Model 56

22 Long R

SN: 14968

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: gobblerforge, Randycrockett
Guest(s) 49
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6357
TXGunNut: 5018