Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1892 Research Survey
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 14, 2020 - 1:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bill Hanzel said
https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-2OBB0B/winchester-1892-44-40-cal-lever-action-rifle-24-barrel-1892-antique

That is the third time in 4 years that the first one has been sold some place!

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
February 14, 2020 - 3:01 pm

Michael,

Here is mine:

Octagon

Full mag

Crescent Butt

32-20 WCF

WACA Member
February 14, 2020 - 3:10 pm

foxfire said
Michael,

Here is mine:

Octagon

Full mag

Crescent Butt

32-20 WCF  

Thanks so much for adding your rifle.  It is a 1902 vintage gun.  Is there a period after the bottom line of the tang stamp?  Which barrel address stamp is on the gun?

Type-1.jpgImage EnlargerType-1B-1.jpgImage EnlargerType-2.jpgImage Enlargerpix647405898.jpgImage Enlarger

Michael

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
February 14, 2020 - 3:14 pm

Rifle is at camp. I’ll provide Monday morning.  Thanks!!

WACA Guest
February 17, 2020 - 3:42 pm

Barrel stamp is identical to picture #1 and the tang stamp matches the photo provided. Any significance??? Rifle is in overall very good condition with bluing remaining on barrel (80%) and receiver (60%). Only issue is the forearm end cap screws are damaged to the point they cannot not be remove (by me). I imaging the magazine spring was replace at some point and Bubba messed up the screws??? Doesn’t make sense how these would be damaged? Got at local gun show full of A/R’s and such so have very little $’s in the rifle.

Anyone know of a Western Pennsylvania gunsmith that could help me with the screws??

WACA Member
February 17, 2020 - 7:17 pm

foxfire said
Barrel stamp is identical to picture #1 and the tang stamp matches the photo provided. Any significance??? Rifle is in overall very good condition with bluing remaining on barrel (80%) and receiver (60%). Only issue is the forearm end cap screws are damaged to the point they cannot not be remove (by me). I imaging the magazine spring was replace at some point and Bubba messed up the screws??? Doesn’t make sense how these would be damaged? Got at local gun show full of A/R’s and such so have very little $’s in the rifle.

Anyone know of a Western Pennsylvania gunsmith that could help me with the screws??  

foxfire said

Thanks for getting back to me.  The barrel address and tang stamp are correct for the SN range of the rifle.  Good luck with the fore  end screws

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
February 18, 2020 - 2:35 pm

Thanks!!

WACA Guest
February 18, 2020 - 3:47 pm

Michael, I’d like to also get the internals of rifle thoroughly inspected, cleaned, lubricated, etc. I have no confidence in my local gunsmiths since they are primarily into the black guns. Can you recommend someone I could ship the rifle off to that would care and respect it’s originality and patina?

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1043
February 18, 2020 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

foxfire,

Without seeing and handling the gun its hard to say if there is anything wrong with it at all.  If the rifle cycles cartridges there probably isnt much that wrong with the internal parts, just shoot a squirt of gun oil down the action and all’s well, and clean the bore.  So long as the bore is good, clean, unobstructed, and not bulged it will probably work.  There arent too many parts that fail.  The main issue with the 1892’s you see alot is the hammer face gets worn down and the hammer has a tendency to not properly engage the sear because the bolt doesnt push it back far enough to the rear or cocked position and on the closing stroke of the lever to close the bolt, the hammer has a tendency to follow behind the bolt past the safety sear and striking the firing pen when the bolt is completely closed, resulting in an accidental discharge.  That can be tested (while the gun is unloaded of course) by dry cycling and seeing if the hammer stays back and catches the hammer sear or not.  That said, a gunsmith would be the place to take it if you dont feel comfortable about the gun. 

Regarding the forend screws, unless you really want to replace the two forearm screws, would probably just leave them as they are.  You could also apply some Kroil from a gunshop or PB Balaster from the auto parts store to see if you can get them freed up to replace.  You can find replacement forearm screws online. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
February 19, 2020 - 1:49 pm

Thanks!! I did just purchase some replacement screws and snap caps. My fear was/is loading with live rounds and magazine spring is damaged so I’m stuck with live rounds in the tube – with no way of removing since the forearm screws are damaged. Removing the damaged screws without harming the end cap is pushing my limited abilities and available tools.

South Texas
WACA Member
February 19, 2020 - 4:56 pm

There’s another way to skin that cat if youve got a few basic tools.  Depending on what magazine tube end cap you have (early slotted with small screw or later with screw that passes through the end cap and insets in the base of the barrel) you can remove the end cap screw and end cap and remove cartridges that was as well without having to touch the forend screws or forearm, just let them drop out the end of the magazine when the cap is removed.  There is pretty good tension on the magazine tube spring so hold onto the end cap or it may fly across the room.  Most often though is the end cap is also froze.  If you try to turn a screwdriver head in the slot of the end cap you could damage the slot.  Use some PB Blaster on the end cap to loosen any rust.  Its a wiggling process to the left and right from there – Ive used a small punch placed in the threaded screw hole of the end cap to start slowly working it back and forth to break free then pry up a little at a time slowly, however you have to be very careful not to damage the end of the magazine tube.  Tricky process, and once it starts to move out of the magazine tube end, use the head of a larger screwdriver to place between the ledge of the magazine tube end and end cap twisting the screwdriver to the left and right where the corners of the screwdriver engage each ledge and slowly twist (pry) from each side.  Never pry up/down or you will likely damage the end of the magazine tube.  If it will not come out, Ive also removed the retaining band pin and sprayed oil generous amounts of PB on the band then tried to break free in the same manner by placing a punch a slightly smaller diameter as the threaded hole in the magazine tube end cap to start rotating the magazine tube to the left and right till it breaks free from the magazine retaining band, then once broke free you can slide the tube out the end.  be sure to use lots of lube so you dont scratch the magazine tube finish.  Its not for the faint of heart.

Ive had to remove cartridges in that manner on an old rifle found in the corner of an old abandoned farm house that had about an inch of rust and dirt that was caked on to the outside of the gun (wish I had taken before and after photos) that was so caked with dirt and rust you couldnt delineate the magazine tube from the barrel, and the bolt/receiver was froze.  Lucky enough I could get that end cap screw out to unload it so where I could begin chipping away at 80 years of rust and dirt. 

I dont think you would have to take out the magazine tube retaining band pin for cartridges to slide out the end of the mag tube if the end cap is off.   Never found a broken or damaged magazine tube spring in any Win.  They are pretty tough and most often no one tinkers with them. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

WACA Guest
February 19, 2020 - 9:49 pm

Great information. Thanks!! Can’t for the life of me figure how the screw heads/slots are gone on a rifle in very good overall shape. The bore is pristine!! My guess was the magazine spring had to be replaced at some point and they effed up the screws in the process!?!?!?

South Texas
WACA Member
February 19, 2020 - 11:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

foxfire said
Great information. Thanks!! Can’t for the life of me figure how the screw heads/slots are gone on a rifle in very good overall shape. The bore is pristine!! My guess was the magazine spring had to be replaced at some point and they effed up the screws in the process!?!?!?  

Sent you a PM.  Didnt want to hijack this page further with repair stuff.

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

Ohio
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 384
February 20, 2020 - 2:01 am

twobit said

Bill Hanzel said
https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-2OBB0B/winchester-1892-44-40-cal-lever-action-rifle-24-barrel-1892-antique

That is the third time in 4 years that the first one has been sold some place!  

It must be the wandering type- needs a good home

Ohio
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 384
Sydney Australia
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
July 21, 2020 - 12:52 pm

G’day from Sydney!

I have a modern 92 in .357 mag which I love but recently I came across this 1892 and couldn’t resist it.  She’s in “original” condition.  What I love about her is that she made her way to Australia in 1914 and had been in the same family until I bought her. She’s well used but still shoots well.

25-20 WCF

Full length mag – which seems to be rare in oz

Serial # 766986 – 1914 

[Image Can Not Be Found]

WACA Member
July 22, 2020 - 11:08 am

TeeDee said
G’day from Sydney!

I have a modern 92 in .357 mag which I love but recently I came across this 1892 and couldn’t resist it.  She’s in “original” condition.  What I love about her is that she made her way to Australia in 1914 and had been in the same family until I bought her. She’s well used but still shoots well.

25-20 WCF

Full length mag – which seems to be rare in oz

Serial # 766986 – 1914 

[Image Can Not Be Found]  

Good morning TeeDee,

Thanks for the information about the new acquisition.  You are correct about the full length magazine being uncommon in OZ.  Does the rifle have a round or octagon shaped barrel?  You can send photos to me at [email protected]

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 42
July 22, 2020 - 10:18 pm

Michael,

I have a ’92 that you might not have in your survey. It is a standard sporting rifle with the following information.

Serial # 624406 – 1911, I think.

24″ octagon barrel

crescent butt plate on a straight stock

25-20 WCF caliber

caliber markings are on the left side of the barrel

Winchester proof marks in line on the top of both the barrel and receiver

Type 3 barrel address & Type 3 upper tang stamp

The hammer does not have the widows peak. It is checkered with the double line at the bottom.

It has no special order features and as far as I know it is all original but it’s serial number does not fall in the available warehouse record range at Cody so I cannot be sure. I do enjoy shooting it.

I hope this helps with your survey,

Have a great day,

Glenn

Sydney Australia
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
July 23, 2020 - 10:28 am

twobit said

Good morning TeeDee,

Thanks for the information about the new acquisition.  You are correct about the full length magazine being uncommon in OZ.  Does the rifle have a round or octagon shaped barrel?  You can send photos to me at [email protected]

Michael  

Hi Michael,

It has a round barrel and crescent butt plate.  Overall it is in pretty good condition, the rifling is still prominent and the action cycles beautifully. I stripped it completely before firing for the first time and the internals looked great. The extractor was the only part that was showing any particular wear but everything still works as it should.  I managed to draw a lot of the oil from the stock and fore end but the wood is still looking fairly agricultural – as it will remain now. 

One surprise for me is just how flat it fires out to 100 yards. Flatter than my 92 .357 mag.  My club has a very active cowboy action and lever action only competition (pre- Covid-19) so once things return to some normality this is going to be a user not a wall hanger 🙂 

I’ll email you some photos.

Cheers,

Richard

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Aussie Chris, LeverGunner
Guest(s) 195
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057