Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Should 1 of 1000 letter?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 16, 2018 - 8:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Deluxe 76 said
I have purchased a few rare guns from him that are the real deal. Yes most of his boxes are reproduction but not all. I ask Eric if he would give me a heads up on items he was going to list early and he said he would. He gives me a return policy no questions ask. 

Gerald  

You’re a much braver man than I am.  To me, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.  I work too hard for my money than to gamble it with this seller.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
April 16, 2018 - 9:21 pm

Sold for $30,000 Which one of you snatched it up?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
April 16, 2018 - 9:24 pm

Not me! Big question is where will we see it next?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
April 16, 2018 - 9:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Deluxe 76 said
I have purchased a few rare guns from him that are the real deal. Yes most of his boxes are reproduction but not all. I ask Eric if he would give me a heads up on items he was going to list early and he said he would. He gives me a return policy no questions ask. 

Gerald  

I would hesitate from making a purchase from anyone who presented any items for sale in a dishonest manner.  Given this seller is inclined to present dishonestly, how do you know for sure that he hasn’t presented all items dishonestly???

Also, why reward dishonesty?  There are honest merchants out there, although increasingly uncommon.

How can you state the guns from this seller are the real deal?  I am sure that those who overpaid for this seller’s firearms that were altered and modified deviously thought they, too, were the real deal.

Sir, before making such a BOLD statement, provide PROOF that what you have purchased IS in fact the real deal. How long have you been collecting, have you published pertinent information, do others seek out your knowledge due to being an expert in a certain field relative to firearms?????

delux76
WACA Guest
April 16, 2018 - 11:38 pm

Sir, I apologize. I guess no one today can be sure it’s the real deal without documentation. Even with documentation one could argue authenticity. I’ve been collecting for fifty years and by no means an expert. I try to learn every day. GB is full of miss represented guns and big auction houses for that matter. It is up to the buyer to make the decision if he thinks it’s real and something he wants. I don’t buy any guns without a inspection period. 

Regards Gerald

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
April 17, 2018 - 11:26 pm

The seller’s track record suggests that an original and rare Winchester is unlikely.  Most, if not all of his stuff, the finish is barely dry!

And yes, documentation is faked, and guns are faked to match documentation.

Caveat emptor always!  But especially with this seller.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
April 17, 2018 - 11:39 pm

Does this guy pay for return shipping if you don’t like it? I assume he doesn’t so its costing the buyer something every time he sells them a ringer and it gets returned.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
April 18, 2018 - 1:09 am

I was 18 years old in 1968, when I attended a gun show in the basement of the Eagles Hall, in Kalispell, Montana.  Being born and raised in Kalispell and an early student of antique Colt’s and Winchesters, this was a show I had tabled up at since I was 14 years old.  At that show in 1968, a latino by the name of Eve Morgan showed up, as he had for years, with a couple of tables full of both vintage rifles and pistols.  At the time he had relatives still living in old Mexico, so every few months, he would make a trip south and come back with a trunk load of desert dug-ups.  At this paticular show, he did what he usually did, spread out blankets on the floor under his table.  He would then go out to his car and bring in two arm loads of dug-up Winchesters.  Most were 1873 models, but he also had a few 92’s and 94’s.  As soon as they hit the floor, I was on my hands and knees, looking over his treasures.  He had several 1873 carbines, which is what I was most interested in.  While moving guns around and sorting through the pile, I find an octagon barreled rifle, or what was left of it.  Barrel, receiver, upper and lower tang , with broken lever.  First thing I noticed was the platinum inlays at muzzle and breech end of the barrel.  Then I see the words “ONE OF ONE THOUSAND” engraved on the top flat, behind the broken rear sight.  Remember, these were all desert dug-ups, so although they were heavily patined, they were not covered with crusty rust.  Markings were legable including the serial number.  The number was 16147.  Eve wanted $100.00 for this rusty old gun, when all the others were $15.00 to $20.00.  No, I didn’t buy it.  My heart was set on a 1966 Chevy Chevelle.  In 1972, I sent that serial numer to Tom Hall, at the Winchester Gun Museum in New Haven and he replied with a Winchester letter head.  It reads “Dear Mr. Bachman:  The Winchester Model 1873, serial number records list number 16147 as a rifle, octagon barrel, casehardened. Fancy checked stock, set trigger, “1 of 1000”.  Shipped January 31, 1877.  I could have had an original 1 of 1000 for a hundred dollar bill.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
April 18, 2018 - 1:13 am

Incredible story!  What were the odds?

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
April 18, 2018 - 2:22 am

Great story!  Did you get the ’66 Chevelle?

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
April 18, 2018 - 3:12 am

Well I don’t know if we’re telling tales out of school or not. But the thing I like about your story, is that I actually find it somewhat believable. The interesting fact being that as far as I can tell that serial #’s current where abouts maybe unknown. It still maybe floating around out in the ether. Or at the very least It hasn’t seen the light of day in recent years. Unless its in someone’s prize collection out there. 

That OR you picked a number and its a nice story to go with it.Wink

It is still believable to me. I love the story of how George Madis found one in mexico with a dirt dobbers nest covering the barrel inscription.

Who knows, maybe I’ll find one someday! So far all I’ve come across is Al Capone’s Vault.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
April 18, 2018 - 3:21 am

Interestingly the 1 of 1000 you saw has never surfaced publicly in auctions, catalogs or other sources where it would of  been reported in my survey.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Montana
WACA Member
April 18, 2018 - 3:28 am

Yes actually, I did get my ’66 Chevelle.  Boy did I love that car.  Mav, I’m not one to make up stories, so whether or not you believe what I say, is entirely up to you.  And good luck with Capone’s vault.  As far as I know, the gun has never surfaced.  I don’t even know if it sold at that show.  

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 479
April 18, 2018 - 4:53 pm

Having known Eve Morgan for more than 20 years and having bought and sold Winchesters from/to him, I can certainly attest to the reasonableness of your 1 of 1000 story! 

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

Montana
WACA Member
April 19, 2018 - 1:20 am

Thanks Rick, for your input.  Yes, Eve was certainly one of a kind.  A generous but serious dealer/collector.  He had the greatest, most unusual stuff.  Sad that he is gone.  I miss seeing him at shows here in the northwest.  At the same show I mentioned earlier, my dad bought a beautiful 4 3/4″ Colt SA made in 1890 from Eve.   The pistol is a COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER, which of course  is .44-40., with 75% original bright blue and case color, as well as original two piece ivory grips.  I still have this pistol and charish the memories associated with it.  Dad paid $175.00 for this single action.

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
April 20, 2018 - 10:18 am

would love to see a picture of the 44 single action

regards

tony

australia

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
May 9, 2018 - 1:56 am

Newly listed for your entertainment – https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769444450

Note that the seller is no longer claiming that it is a “1 of 1000”, but he is also not openly disclosing the “added” engraving on the barrel.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
May 9, 2018 - 4:01 am

Bert H. said
Newly listed for your entertainment – https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769444450

Note that the seller is no longer claiming that it is a “1 of 1000”, but he is also not openly disclosing the “added” engraving on the barrel.

Bert  

I guess that is somewhat of a relief, all things considered.

Maverick

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 210
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323