Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Re-case coloring for an early 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 31, 2017 - 6:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Looking at President Roosevelt’s rifle, I can’t imagine what that rifle is worth. Got to be the most expensive Winchester ever sold if it came on the market. That is the most beautiful Winchester I have ever seen. I also am one that would never refinish a piece of American history.   Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
December 31, 2017 - 6:40 pm

I agree Big Larry.  And while I do appreciate high conditioned (original) rifles, I can also appreciate very low finish rifles.  A bonus with low finish pieces as they can usually be counted on to have a much higher percentage of history 🙂

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
January 3, 2018 - 3:36 am

steve004 said
I agree Big Larry.  And while I do appreciate high conditioned (original) rifles, I can also appreciate very low finish rifles.  A bonus with low finish pieces as they can usually be counted on to have a much higher percentage of history 🙂  

Yep, an interesting story/history especially when verifiable really peaks my interest!

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
January 10, 2018 - 4:41 am

Big Larry said
Looking at President Roosevelt’s rifle, I can’t imagine what that rifle is worth. Got to be the most expensive Winchester ever sold if it came on the market. That is the most beautiful Winchester I have ever seen. I also am one that would never refinish a piece of American history.   Big Larry  

I do not know if it is true or not but a while back Cowan’s Auctions sent around a flyer showing a Model 1873 that was factory engraved & gold inlaid for the 1876 Centennial Exposition. Sold privately for $1,050,000. 

I don’t know if old Teddy’s gun would reach that mark, but would imagine it would be on up there. As far as I’ve heard that is the most paid for a single Winchester ever, but I could be wrong.

I wish a hand those kinds of peanuts to be tossing around.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
January 28, 2018 - 2:17 am

What do you guys think of the color job on this one?  Someone must like it as I see it has sold.  It doesn’t look too bad to me.

http://merzantiques.com/photo/w2284-beautiful-winchester-model-1886-src

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 28, 2018 - 8:03 pm

I like it but the colors don’t seem to flow like original guns or some of the other restorations. I realize that every CC result is a bit different. I think this sale illustrates the point that restored guns may become a more accepted (and more highly valued) segment of the collector market. Some collectors will never accept them but it may cut down on the number of restorations fraudulently sold as original guns if a quality restoration can command a “fair” price on it’s own merits. JMHO, of course, because quite frankly I’m generally on the sidelines watching both the “high condition” and restored market segments as I don’t wish to pay the price or take the risks of either.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 28, 2018 - 8:21 pm

TXGunNut said
I like it but the colors don’t seem to flow like original guns or some of the other restorations. I realize that every CC result is a bit different. I think this sale illustrates the point that restored guns may become a more accepted (and more highly valued) segment of the collector market. Some collectors will never accept them but it may cut down on the number of restorations fraudulently sold as original guns if a quality restoration can command a “fair” price on it’s own merits. JMHO, of course, because quite frankly I’m generally on the sidelines watching both the “high condition” and restored market segments as I don’t wish to pay the price or take the risks of either.  

So, how many years down the line you you think this piece will get promoted from “professionally restored” to “rare original condition”?

I’ll agree with you about boycotting the “high condition” market because I’ll never know enough to be able to discern between a genuinely untouched antique and one that was “professionally restored” 50 years ago.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 28, 2018 - 9:33 pm

Wincacher said

So, how many years down the line you you think this piece will get promoted from “professionally restored” to “rare original condition”?

I’ll agree with you about boycotting the “high condition” market because I’ll never know enough to be able to discern between a genuinely untouched antique and one that was “professionally restored” 50 years ago.  

You raise a good point, “restored 50 years ago”. I have no problem spotting a recent recase, but a British recase 70 years ago is the same as Winchester.The Briitish shotgun people used the same procedure as Winchester, add some usage, I can’t tell. People were sending guns or parts of gun’s to England for refinish, the country had a abundance of skilled craftsman refreshing expensive shotguns. The blue was slightly darker, but the case was color perfect, no rounded edges, no light markings, no pits or odd buffing marks. During this time period these skilled craftsman worked on the most expensive guns in the world. Not all will have British proofs, only complete guns sold their, I think? I fell victim to this 20 years ago, a very nice Deluxe 86 in 50/110. The quality of recent refinishes is not to this level because of cost and can be seen easily with a Larry light and a jewelers hood. T/R                                              

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
January 28, 2018 - 9:42 pm

Of course one can hardly (if ever) tell with 100% accuracy whether an old Winchester is an original extreme high condition or a good professional restoration, I believe by authenticating original documentation, components, wood condition, bluing, CCH etc. one can reasonably access with pretty good accuracy that a Winchester hasn’t been restored at least to a point where risk of such is very low. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 28, 2018 - 10:45 pm

Wincacher said 

I have little doubt we’re seeing it now on other guns, no guarantee it won’t happen to this piece. Best example I can think of is when an estate sells a collection and the executor (and possibly the buyer) knows little or nothing about the guns. Or the gun changes hands a few times between casual collectors who don’t know or care if it’s restored or original. Or a dealer suspects it may be a restored gun but doesn’t know and he represents it in an ambiguous manner. Caveat emptor; a very old concept as valid now as it ever was.

I don’t like some aspects of this possible trend but I think it’s important to watch and try to understand as it will continue and we will have to deal with it whether we like it or not. I like that a respected seller is able to accurately represent an item and receive a good price. I don’t like that an original gun was likely destroyed (at least in the eyes of a traditional collector) but it’s not my gun.

Quite honestly I’m beginning to wonder if some of the better quality restorations represent an investment opportunity as they are often sold for the approximate cost of the restoration.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tionesta1, antler1, clarence, Antonio, Darrin Smith, TR, Edward Kitner
Guest(s) 217
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727