Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Re-case coloring for an early 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 172
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 18, 2017 - 10:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I hope this works for youTeddys-1886.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
June 18, 2017 - 10:48 pm

Yes, I can see the ’86 now. Thank you.  Those are quite striking colors.  I have probably seen more vintage original Marlins with colors of this super-high vividness vs. Winchesters.  I have seen very striking Marlin receivers.  What have other’s experiences been with regard to original Winchester vs. Marlin case color?

WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 5:09 pm

Ah, so there’s part of the explanation of the Roosevelt ’86.  The case color is not as old as the rifle.  I was glad to read there was an explanation.  I had looked at the photos before doing any reading and had an immediate reaction to what looks like quite a bit of hunting wear on the buttstock, yet pristine case colors.  As we know, case color is a very fragile finish.  However it is a beautiful rifle and the hunting wear on the buttstock was not a detractor for me.  Aside from gorgeous deluxe wood, this rifle has my favorite feature on a vintage lever action rifle (Winchester, Marlin or Savage): the cheekpiece stock.  As far as provenance, what a rifle to own!  And let me add, you could hand someone this rifle along with a supply of fresh cartridges and they would be well-equipped for about any game situation this continent (or most any other continent) has to offer.  For me, I can think of many game situations where despite all the modern developments since this rifle was made, this would be my preferred rifle. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
June 27, 2017 - 3:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

This is a newly CCH  highwall receiver that I just got back from Wyoming Armory.  The turn around time was a little over 2 weeks and the price was very reasonable.

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/51875_600x400.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
June 27, 2017 - 3:33 pm

Old-Win said
This is a newly CCH  highwall receiver that I just got back from Wyoming Armory.  The turn around time was a little over 2 weeks and the price was very reasonable.

I like it.  Looks dignified, and not in your face.

WACA Member
September 3, 2017 - 3:52 pm

On the topic of re-case coloring for an 1886, I wonder what happened with this one?  We know the seller and not surprisingly he makes no mention the rifle has been refinished.  Obviously it has.  By the way, I’ve always wanted an ’86 SRC in this caliber and this one, before it was refinished might have been very desirable to me (even if it had been completely gray) (and I’d want to get a copy of the Museum letter myself).  Anyway, as much as I dislike refinished guns, when I look at the left side of the receiver on this one, I really feel ill.  Wouldn’t all want to run when they turned the carbine over on this side? 

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/690508053

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
September 3, 2017 - 4:05 pm

That’s rather unfortunate. Looks to me like the receiver was heated unevenly or incompletely and makes me think it’s likely to be warped a bit as well.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 3, 2017 - 4:33 pm

Frankly, I love it when that B.E.M. shows off his complete lack of knowledge. I have to wonder who the ignorant person was who actually did the case color refinish work.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
September 3, 2017 - 5:08 pm

The left side of the receiver appears to be too gaudy even for his dad to have collected.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 3, 2017 - 6:00 pm

Wincacher said
The left side of the receiver appears to be too gaudy even for his dad to have collected.  

There is no “appears to be…” as far as I can see.  There is a more wrong with it than that (and I am intentionally not posting specifics to keep the seller in the dark) !

Bert

New Mexico
WACA Guest
September 3, 2017 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

You’re right, Bert, and I too had to use restraint.  Unfortunately, some naive sucker will come along sooner or later.

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Member
September 3, 2017 - 6:57 pm

It almost appears like the color on the left side is smeared.  Hard to tell what happened other than someone messed the job up.  The appearance might be the smallest problem, especially if the receiver is warped.  As usual, the wordsmithing of his ad is well-crafted (i.e. it is crafty).  The whole thing makes me sigh heavily over the current state of collecting.  What makes me sigh the most is his A+ rating as a gunbroker seller.  He has 175 pieces of positive feedback.  If you look at the last many pieces of feedback where you can read the comments and see what rifle was purchased, you will find they are all rifles with their, “boxes.”  All of these buyers are thrilled.  Sigh. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 3, 2017 - 7:59 pm

Wincacher said
You’re right, Bert, and I too had to use restraint.  Unfortunately, some naive suckerwill come along sooner or later.  

Hopefully that does not happen… his opening bid price is rather steep.  Hopefully I get several email messages from prospective buyers (that is how I am usually alerted to SDOG new offerings) asking questions about it.

Bert

New Mexico
WACA Guest
September 4, 2017 - 12:54 am

Glad to about that Bert.

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 88
September 4, 2017 - 3:32 am

Concerning SDOG

He sends me and a few other individuals a list of guns prior to him putting them on GB and unfortunately  95% of the lever guns  I have seen  have been restored in one fashion or another. He sells many guns before they ever get listed for auction.  Just last week he sold a model 70 .243 featherweight with fake box for $2500 before it went to auction.  The gun was probably worth $1600. 

I have bought several original box guns from SDOG   You simply have to know what you’re doing or buy the gun at a fair price and throw the fake box away.  I have confronted him about the fake boxes many times.

He has always been good to me as he gives me a money back guarantee if I am not pleased with what I purchased .

Gerald

New Mexico
WACA Guest
September 4, 2017 - 4:12 am

Deluxe 76 said
 Concerning SDOG

He sends me and a few other individuals a list of guns prior to him putting them on GB and unfortunately  95% of the lever guns  I have seen  have been restored in one fashion or another. He sells many guns before they ever get listed for auction.  Just last week he sold a model 70 .243 featherweight with fake box for $2500 before it went to auction.  The gun was probably worth $1600. 

I have bought several original box guns from SDOG   You simply have to know what you’re doing or buy the gun at a fair price and throw the fake box away.  I have confronted him about the fake boxes many times.

He has always been good to me as he gives me a money back guarantee if I am not pleased with what I purchased .

Gerald  

Curious as to his response to your confronting him about the fake boxes.

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 88
September 4, 2017 - 11:49 pm

My first experience with SDOG lnvolved a boxed model 42.  I told him the box was fake and he disagreed and said the box was original. I told him even though someone stamped  the correct product code number  on the bottom of the box It did not have the seal of certification. In this case Bird Better Built  which gives the capacity of the box and the year of manufacture. He told me that any gun I  purchased from him I could return for a full refund if I was not happy .

It makes me sick to see people buy guns thinking they’re getting a real gem  when in fact they’re getting a miss represented gun. SDOG is not the only one selling miss represented guns. GB has  hundreds and hundreds of individuals  selling guns as originals when they have been refinished or altered in someway .

New Mexico
WACA Guest
September 4, 2017 - 11:53 pm

Thanks for the response, Deluxe 76.  As to GB, that’s why I only look at the ordinary stuff  in a caliber or configuration that I might be interested in to fill a hole in my collection

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Member
December 31, 2017 - 5:55 pm

I recall enjoying this thread and reading other’s opinions and experiences regarding re-case color. 

I ran across this Winchester 1873 today.  Is this the current status of, “professionally restored”?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-antique-lever/winchester-model-1873-rifle-in-38-40-caliber.cfm?gun_id=100950962

I also note, “vivid case colors on the frame and lever.”

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
December 31, 2017 - 6:15 pm

No fakery there, just Bubba on a good day, destroying one gun at a time. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., jolly bill, mrcvs
Guest(s) 178
Currently Browsing this Page: