Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Any free information on 1894 I just bought?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 26, 2017 - 8:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To clean the bore, I am using Break-Free CLP.  There are many cleaners available. 

Let us know, please, of your progress.

Great project!  Much luck to you.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 148
January 26, 2017 - 9:39 pm

TXGunNut said
Looks to me like the gun has been through a fire. I suspect the inside looks very much like the outside. Getting this rifle up and running could very well be expensive or a time-consuming labor of love…or both.  

Huck;

Can not really tell by the pictures but I had a Colt 1911 that have been in a fire. I gave it to my BIL. He sandblasted it and let it lay around for a few months ( in OR ). It aquired some rust before he got back to it. It looked just like your rifle.  Just a comment.  RR

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
January 26, 2017 - 11:30 pm

Thanks Win61 and TCGunNut.  I just bought a .38 bore snake and a can of the CLP Breakfree and hosed it down.  I’ll wait 24, do it again and bore snake it to see what that looks like.  I’ll have to open the action again but I’ll be careful.  Still don’t have the proper screws yet.

WACA Guest
January 27, 2017 - 3:28 am

Huck,

You can still work the action, just know that the carrier is a bit off line.  If the action gets harder to cycle, sticking, or stuck, just don’t force it.  With that unknown screw keeping it close to its normal position, we just don’t know what is going on in there.  The normal carrier screw is not threaded all the way.  It is bald of threads where the end of it becomes the pivot for the carrier.  I don’t know if your screw has threads in the carrier hole.  If it does, is it going to score the hole, or is the steel in the carrier just fine, wearing out the screw?  Be careful in taking my advice about that screw and the hole, I’m not a metal (some would say “mental”) guy.

This I can help you with:  When you do put in the carrier screws, they can be tricky.  If you screw them in without noticing, you likely will not hit the carrier holes properly–resulting in each turn of the screwdriver, forcing those sides of the carrier into the gap between them.  That means bending the carrier sides back to where they are supposed to be.  I haven’t done so yet, but it seems several bendings will result in a broken carrier.  So, keep an eye on the gap at the back of the carrier while you are working those screws.  Some people use a guide rod to align the holes.  Some just muscle the carrier into position–which if you are not quick about it, will pain your fingers=your fingers are working against the force of the carrier spring.  Another way is to remove the lever and the link and drop the nose of the carrier beneath the receiver until the carrier spring’s strength is not a problem and the holes align without effort.

For the experience and for the enjoyment, you might want to dismantle your rifle.  Cleaning parts would be easier that way, and if you are tainted with Winchester blood, you might just find the process to be quite pleasurable.  And you’d get to see how the rifle works.  Model ’94’s come apart and go back together easily.  Those carrier screws could be considered the most difficult step of the assembly–and you have to do that anyway!

WACA Guest
January 27, 2017 - 3:28 pm

Thanks, FromTheWoods.

I still don’t have the carrier screws but will take your advice when I get them.  I still need to dig up my book and then I will feel better about taking it all apart.  I want to get the right screw drivers so I don’t bugger things up more than they are.

I did spray it down with the CLP and it made a world of difference on the action.  Way smoother.  I also snaked the bore four or five times and took some pictures this morning.  It’s hard for the camera or my eye to see clear down to the breach but the whole bore looks pretty much like the photos as far as I can make out.  The light is too much looking straight down.  I tried without it but then it was too dark.  I don’t know how sharp the lands and grooves are on a perfect bore or what is worn out.  Does it look like a shooter?  Thanks again.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 172
January 27, 2017 - 6:49 pm

Excellent bore!

WACA Guest
January 28, 2017 - 4:16 am

Thanks Bruce, that is good to know.  Is 1898 steel good to go with copper or should I use soft lead rounds?

FromTheWoods or anyone who wants to chime in:

Found my book. I can now take the rifle apart once I get some good screw drivers. Some of the questions below will be answered when I do take it apart but I thought I’d ask them now anyway. Also, since it was bought as a wall-hanger for esthetic reasons, the guts probably don’t matter too much but anything that shows may be “antiqued” to match the rest of the rifle. New screw heads and Spring Cover may look dopey if they are all shiny and new.

I need to buy a period/model-correct:

1. Front Sight Bead or Blade #2
2. Rear Sight Elevator #5
3. Two Carrier Screws #29
4. Spring Cover #55
5. Spring Cover Screw #56
6. Peep Sight Plug Screw #57

Should I try to track down antiques or just get anything that will fit?

Questions: My Link Pin #34 slides in and out easily. I will try to screw the Link Pin Stop Screw in further but it looks like it is in already. Could it be too short, or broke?

How deep should the Finger Lever Pin #14 hole be from the right side when installed? Mine is about a ¼ inch deep using a tooth pick.

Finger Lever Link Screw looks beat and worn but is still working. Should I replace that or just leave it.

Finally, when looking at the blow up and at my rifle, I’m not seeing the Ejector, Ejector Spring or Ejector Stop Pin, #20, #21 and #22. Are they there and I just am not seeing them, or?  Do my pics show that or should I take another one of that area on the front of the bolt?

Thanks for any feedback.

WACA Guest
January 28, 2017 - 10:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The Link Pin should slide easily.  Check the Stop Screw–it should come to a non-threaded point.  If the screw already in there has no unthreaded point, then it is broken or the wrong screw.  Pictures here would be helpful, but I understand–correct screwdrivers.

Finger Lever Pin hole from the right side–I don’t understand what you are getting at here.  Install a hole?  –The hole on the right side above the loading gate/Spring Cover is an access hole for inserting a tool to push the Finger Lever Pin out of the Breech Bolt–the pin is pushed out the left side of the receiver (after removing the screw on the left side.)  Your rifle doesn’t seem to have a problem with the Breech Bolt and Finger Lever Pin; am I mistaken?  The right-side hole’s depth is the width of the receiver metal plus a whisper.

Lever Link Screw–The head looks out of round, but it appears the shaft is doing its job (all the way through.)  Some of your other screws are “used” looking, so it is up to you if this one is too used looking.  With that one side of the head flattened, and with the way the head doesn’t fill the hole, maybe someone did a home-made fix on it.  Maybe not the original screw?

Ejector–You see only the front end of the Ejector when the rifle is assembled.  The Ejector is in there if you see a semi-rectangular piece of metal protruding from the bolt face just below the firing pin hole.  If it isn’t there, the bolt-face will appear to have a chunk missing at six o’clock.  –Or, you insert a case or cartridge into that .38-55, work the action, and see if it ejects!  (It looks as if your ejector is in there.)

One part I haven’t seen in your photos is the firing pin.  I’m betting you have one or else you would have noticed and listed it above.

You can post in the “Swap Meet” forum of this site, asking if someone has the parts you need.  Firearms auction sites and eBay should be a help in finding parts.  If on eBay, just look at the photos and buy parts with the wear you are think will fit your rifle.

I’ve read instructions on how to “age” parts, but that was a while back, and since I had no need to use the information–POOOF–gone.

There are folks on this site who haunt the “Restoration, Repair, and Maintenance” forum.  They will know good places to find parts and how to age them.  Asking your questions there might get you all the help you’ll need.

WACA Guest
January 29, 2017 - 2:27 am

Hi FromTheWoods.

Thanks for the help.  

The finger lever pin hole question came up because the hole in the right side of the receiver seemed deep (1/4″).  I figured the pin would go through to flush with the outside of the receiver like the other pins/screws seem to do.  I thought maybe it was a broke or short, incorrect pin for not being that long.

As to the ejector, the bolt face shows a piece at 6:00 but it does not move or pop out like it’s ejecting an empty.  It just sits there, flush with the face of the bolt.  The top of it is slanted too, but it looks like the slot it is in is slanted too, high on the left, low on the right.  Rather than order an ejector, I guess I’ll wait until I take it apart and see if the pieces match the diagram.  Maybe find another 94 and compare.

I do have a firing pin.  When I open the action, it protrudes, but I can push it back in, easily, with my finger.

Have you every heard of “Homestead Parts”?  I thought about them but I guess I’ll post in the “Swap Meet” first and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

WACA Guest
January 29, 2017 - 5:42 am

Huck,

I’ve had little need to chase parts, so others will have to assist you with that.

The finger lever pin rides in the bolt.  It isn’t secured/held in the receiver.  The screw on the left side acts as a plug–fills the hole for removing/inserting the FLP.

Your ejector is flush with the bolt face–You may get to take the bolt out after all.  When you open the action, that ejector front should be protruding 1/8 or maybe 3/16 of an inch beyond the bolt face.  Yours might be corroded in place.  From your description, it is shaped as it should be.

The firing pin does as you say–can push it back and forth.

Not to put pressure on you, but GET THOSE SCREWDRIVERS!  If you don’t get them soon, I may have to take apart one of my Winchesters just to find a part-cleaning/discovering release!

Many people soak parts in Kroil when they are stuck.  They also soak/clean guns in your rifle’s condition to help remove crud (such a science specific term, “crud”).

For your front sight, some old guns have coins that have been shaped to fit as a front-sight blade.  If you have a “lucky” nickel atop your dresser, a Dremel tool, fifteen minutes, and holding your tongue just right will find you with a new blade–a lucky blade at that! 

WACA Guest
January 29, 2017 - 6:16 am

I’ll get those screw drivers.  I have one for my Colt SAA and I’ll see if it fits without slop on some of the screws.  I *really* like the front sight nickel idea.  I do have some Buffalo Nickels and I think a slice of one of those would be classic.  Will post again when I make some better head way.

Thanks!

Aroostook County Maine
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 308
January 29, 2017 - 3:10 pm

Hi, I should have the parts you need to complete your action. I have a couple of old 1894 actions that I tore down for parts. Email me at [email protected] if I can be of help. Thanks, Dana

WACA Guest
January 30, 2017 - 2:24 pm

Thanks, dane62.  Check is in the mail, ordered the book you recommended and got the rear sight elevator from Homestead Parts.  Everyone is out of the screw driver sets so I think I’ll just make do.

WACA Guest
February 11, 2017 - 4:12 am

I received the parts from dane62.  Thanks!

Question for anyone: Is there something special about Winchester-specific screw drivers (i.e. softer metal or something), or can I use any screw driver that fits the slot properly?  I want to get started on this thing without ruining anything, I have a lot of screw drivers, but they are just common, over-the-counter jobs from the hardware store.  Comments?

Thanks.

WACA Guest
February 11, 2017 - 5:19 am

If you don’t find your answer here, ask again–

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/Screwdrivers+so+I+don%27t+bugger+tang+on+1932+94/

Sporting goods sections of stores usually have some.  Any outdoor-type stores near you?

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
February 11, 2017 - 6:00 am

You don’t need “Winchester-specific” screwdrivers but you also don’t want to use your regular mechanic’s screwdrivers or you’ll end up stripping the screw heads.  What you need is hollow ground screwdrivers and many are available for gunsmiths such as Weaver and Chapman.   The machinist screwdrivers are tapered and don’t fit the screw head slot where the hollow ground screwdriver tips are flat and will completely fill and properly fit a gun’s screw head slot, thereby nearly eliminating those slips that strip the head and scar the gun part’s surface.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 11, 2017 - 4:34 pm

I finally broke down and bought the Brownells Magna Tip set a year or so ago. I’m very pleased with it, especially the way the case is laid out. Its easy to find the one you need.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
February 11, 2017 - 5:05 pm

Hi Folks, thanks for the tips and the links.  No, it’s about 90 miles to a store that might have them.  Although my son does need some drive time to get his license .  . .  

The Brownells sound nice, and the idea that you can selectively order a Winchester Model package is good.  Thanks again.  

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
February 11, 2017 - 5:22 pm

If you’re 90 miles away from a store you might want to try ordering from midwayusa.com or brownells.com

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
February 11, 2017 - 6:27 pm

The Brownell’s kit has served me well for many, many years.

I do like the magnetized tips for these old hands.

Bert’s reccomendation 5 years ago was spot on….take ’em to gun shows always.

Save the gas and get quick delivery ! ?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260
Big Larry: 2346