Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Screwdrivers so I don't bugger tang on 1932 94
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 24
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 3, 2014 - 9:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I need to take the big and little top tang screws out of my 1932 ’94

Without taking my rifle to Home Depot, a bad idea in New Jersey, how do I find the right tool so I don’t bugger my tang?

Taos NM
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 230
March 3, 2014 - 10:40 am

You can get a nice set from Weaver–Bill

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
March 3, 2014 - 11:17 am

I like the Wheeler screwdriver kits since they give you a wide assortment of bits to choose from.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wheeler-screwdriver

As long as you use a hollow ground blade that fits the slot correctly you shouldn’t have a big problem. If the slot has been buggered up previously it can be a challenge.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
March 3, 2014 - 1:18 pm

1873man said
As long as you use a hollow ground blade that fits the slot correctly you shouldn’t have a big problem.

Hollow ground blades are the trick, that fill the length of the slot as much as possible.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 268
March 4, 2014 - 7:40 pm

+1 on the Wheeler set! Well worth the money

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10725
March 5, 2014 - 7:12 am

Another option is the Magna-Tip kits available through Brownell’s. I have been using them for more than 20-years now, and they have held up very well. I have the 58-bit Super kit, and it goes with me to all of the gun shows that I attend.

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=Magna+Tip&ksubmit=y

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 348
March 5, 2014 - 10:25 am

I’m also a fan of Brownells screwdrivers, most folks don’t know this but they have a lifetime replacement policy on their tips. If you break one, call them tell them the size and they will replace it.

On a side note, Winchester pretty much used the US standard for screws; as an example, the pre 1900 US standard for a 6-48 was a head diameter of .198 – .201, and a slot width of .030 – .035. So if you start checking Winchester screws you will find most of the 6-48 screws will fit within that range.

So the FE cap screw, Trigger spring retaining screw, mag plug screw, 92 guide screws all have 6-48 threads, and all have a head dia between .198 / .201 and a slot width .030/.035.

What does this mean to Winchester collectors? Once you understand the screw dia/thread pitch to head dia slot size, you can go thru the Brownells catalogue and get just the bits you need, which would be about half a dozen to cover all your Winchester needs.

V/R

Mike

Tedk
WACA Guest
March 18, 2014 - 1:24 pm

Have the 28 pc. Brownell Magna-Tip set and while the bits work well for pre-64 M70 front and rear trigger guard screws and the magazine cover hinge plate screw and forend screw, they do not seem to be a perfect fit. Has anyone figured out what are the best Magna-Tip bit sizes for these applications?
Thanks

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 348
March 19, 2014 - 5:20 am

Ted

The best thing to do is to is measure the screw head OD, then use a feeler gage to determine the screw slot width. Take a look in the Brownells catalogue and select the best bit for this application. Optimally you want a bit that’s .010-.015 smaller than the OD of the screw, that way you minimize the chances of scratching the gun metal around the slot.

Let me know if I can help you more

V/R

Mike

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
March 20, 2014 - 8:04 am

I like the Brownells screwdrivers as well. I have the full length screwdriver set including screwdrivers #3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, & 16. These sizes have worked well for me in the past and I havent had any problems with them in terms of getting the right fit.

The Magna-tips kits are nice and lots of folks use them. I dont like them because they are magnetized and they cause me more problems than what they are worth, I felt like I have less control over the screw and they want to stick to everything. However, they do come in handy on small screws that are difficult to get started because the magnet holds them in place. My dad preferred them because they helped with unsteady hands and because it was easier to carry one driver and lots of bits. To each is own.

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 151
April 12, 2014 - 2:11 pm

Chris, What would be the magna bit numbers for the equivalent full length screwdrivers you suggested. Or should I just give Brownells a call and ask them. I am just primarily looking for straight slot driver tips as I have every possible tips for Phillips and so on.

Thanks
Steve

Tedk
WACA Guest
April 12, 2014 - 4:48 pm

Brownells has a gun specific Magna-Tip list for the 94 and several other models….search the Learn on top of their page for the article.

WACA Guest
April 13, 2014 - 6:33 am

and Brownells carries a proper sized grinding wheel to modify their hollow ground tips, allowing you to get a perfect fit to any screw, no matter what the slot width or length.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, Tom D, Ben, Mike LV
Guest(s) 142
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160