Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Any free information on 1894 I just bought?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Huck Riley
WACA Guest
January 18, 2017 - 1:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

When I right-click on the image at Photobucket I do not get a “view image” option.  I get a lot of options.  Yesterday I tried “copy link address” but could not see anything when pasting here per direction.  So this morning I tried “Copy image address” and everything worked fine when I posted here.  I could see the images, my text and everything.  I even did “Preview” and it looked great.  But when I hit Submit Reply I got this:

“Unable to save
You are not allowed to put links in post content”

My only other options I can chose when selecting an image at Photobucket are:

Open link in new tab

Open link in new window

Open link in incognito window

Save link as . . .

Copy link address

Open image in new tab

Save image as

Copy image

Copy image address

Search Google for image

Sorry if I’m to dense to figure this out.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10828
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 18, 2017 - 8:58 pm

Huck,

Register as a “user” on the WACA forums. Your status as a “Guest” is the issue.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
January 19, 2017 - 1:56 am

Thanks, another try:

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
January 19, 2017 - 1:58 am

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6358
January 19, 2017 - 2:33 pm

Two words:  Doug Turnbull.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
January 19, 2017 - 3:45 pm

Buy the needed parts, put it back together and shoot it. Doug does a good job for sure, but to spend the money on that gun that Doug would want to restore it….naaa

NY
WACA Member
January 19, 2017 - 4:04 pm

Eagle said
Buy the needed parts, put it back together and shoot it. Doug does a good job for sure, but to spend the money on that gun that Doug would want to restore it….naaa  

A second mortgage would probably cover it.

WACA Guest
January 19, 2017 - 5:24 pm

Thanks folks.  An ideal world for me would be a mechanically and structurally sound, complete shooter on the inside, while keeping the existing external appearance (relic), and freezing that look in place so there is no further degradation.  It would be nice if the wood looked oiled and not glossy but I think I’ll leave that alone.

If anyone can recommend a person in Colorado who might do a good job at that, I’d appreciate the lead.

Thanks again.

P.S.  It will be a wall-hanger most of the time.  I have several original 86s in the safe and some clones (66,73 ) that I shoot. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
January 20, 2017 - 2:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

If you wanted to replace the parts yourself, people here could walk you through it–or they could provide a good source on the internet that would easily guide you.

Also, with those photos you’ve provided, people here likely know most of what you are missing.  And it appears you need few parts to get it functioning.

If you would provide a photo of the inside area of the receiver, that would help–from the top looking down into the works.  –Maybe get camera-happy and let us see the entire rifle, inside and out.

To this point, it appears you could use the following parts as shown on this schematic:  http://stevespages.com/ipb-winchester-94.html.

#29–Carrier Screw.  (May need two of these.)  (That “screw head that protrudes beyond flush” might just need to be screwed in.)

#55–Spring Cover (Loading Gate)

#56–Spring Cover Screw (Loading Gate Screw)

#57–Peep sight plug screw (to fill the “empty hole behind the hammer on the upper tang”)

–Period-correct Front Sight.

–Rear Sight Elevator.

The schematic is for an 1894 Carbine, but the parts at the receiver are labeled the same as they would be for your rifle.

Parts are available from people here (maybe), eBay, gun-auction sites, and parts companies.  Should be a simple process to acquire the parts and install them.

If you don’t know firearms well, have someone else who does inspect your rifle prior to you firing it.  (From where I sit, 2300 miles away, it looks as if it is almost ready to go!)  Hands-on; you want someone holding it who knows what they are looking at.

Ammunition might be harder to find than the parts.  A caution:  shoot cartridges that have a bullet .380-.382 from your rifle.  Cartridges that are labeled .38-55 but are about .375-77–those are too small for your bore.

Just keep talking with forum members; you seem headed down a fairly easy path.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5019
January 20, 2017 - 3:05 am

Looks to me like the gun has been through a fire. I suspect the inside looks very much like the outside. Getting this rifle up and running could very well be expensive or a time-consuming labor of love…or both.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
January 20, 2017 - 3:25 am

Ya no Huck, unless that gun belonged to your best friend or someone very important to you, and you were experienced in smithing on these old rifles, rather than put it together, I would take it apart and sell the pieces on GB or Ebay. You’ll get your money back and then some probably. Just my opinion and not meant to offend. Peter

WACA Guest
January 20, 2017 - 4:21 am

FromTheWoods:  I like your idea the best.  Although I will be moving at a very slow pace.  Not only does my internet speed, bandwidth and data leave a great deal to be desired, but it will be a slow project anyway with all the other things I have going (work, kid, etc.).  In the mean time it will hang on the wall in the living room.

I’ll try to get around to some more and better photos.  I thought it may have been in a fire but there is still some minor traces of blue in the usual areas (where barrel and magazine tube meet, juncture of receiver and barrel, etc.) and the wood seems original to my uneducated eye.  The “rust” seems to be every where except those places and I assume a fire would have gotten in there too.  And the wood would have burned.  So maybe you all can tell more with better photos.

I’m not going to part it out.  I’m not in this for the money.  All I really wanted was the wall hanger anyway.  As a matter of fact, to let you know what kind of guy I am, if money were not an issue, then I’d much rather have that old 1873 they found in the Nevada hills than the same gun, deluxe, engraved, gold inlaid, NIB and owned by a famous person.  The only reason I’d take the latter is to sell it and buy some real guns. Wink

Thanks for all the input.    

NY
WACA Member
January 20, 2017 - 5:17 am

Eagle said
…I would take it apart and sell the pieces on GB or Ebay. You’ll get your money back and then some probably.  

That’s been exactly the way Ye Old Buckingham has made his living for the last 30 or 40 years. 

WACA Guest
January 24, 2017 - 10:07 pm

Hi Folks:

I’m going to try an add some photos.  There was a comment that maybe the gun looked bad due to fire, as opposed to rust.  So I’ll start with the wood and see if you with expert eyes can tell if the wood has been changed.  Also note nooks and crannies where there is no rust or fire damage.  What do you think?  Next I’ll do the interior of the receiver.  It too is rusty.  Still have not punched the bore. 

(not sure if I have to do multiple posts or if I can get them all on one)

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
January 24, 2017 - 10:09 pm

Second set of wood photos:

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
January 24, 2017 - 10:29 pm

Here are the guts.  Sorry the pics aren’t perfect but it’s dark in their and I’m no pro.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
January 25, 2017 - 4:13 am

Have you tried screwing in that carrier screw on the left side of the receiver?  From two of your photos, your carrier is traveling a bit in a way that it shouldn’t be moving.  In your last photo, the screw hole in the carrier is not lining up with the hole in the receiver.  If you are going to be cycling your action often, I’d at least get the left screw properly inserted into its carrier hole.

I’m unable to enlarge your photos, so I’m going to ask what may be an obviously silly question to those who know rusty Winchesters better than I do–Are you certain that corrosion on your rifle is rust and pitting?  I ask because sometimes people coat their guns with who-knows-what, and the wood and metal look as if they are from another planet.  Could it be that your rifle has a coat of (x) on the metal?  I bought one last year that had scabbing on it–wood and metal.  Came off by wiping them with a rag wet with denatured alcohol. 

WACA Guest
January 25, 2017 - 5:00 am

FromTheWoods:

Thank you.  I am now going to stop cycling the lever till I figure this out.  The protruding screw head on the left side of the receiver actually appears to be brass and it has a fillister or pan head that is larger than the hole in the side of the receiver so it won’t go in any further.  I guess the next step is to obtain a correct replacement.  I have some blow up sheets and assembly instructions somewhere: I’ll try to find those and see how that screw is supposed to work and get it inserted properly.  I’ll also look for the other missing pieces.  

As to the outer surface, no I am not certain it is rust.  I’m not sure what it is.  I just assumed it was rust from appearance but someone else said they thought it looked like it had been in a fire.  If I knew of a way to test it without scratching it I’d give that a try.  I’ll start by rubbing some gun oil on it and see if it soaks it up or repels it.

Thanks again.

WACA Guest
January 26, 2017 - 4:04 am

I suggest you find/buy a couple carrier screws.  They are specifically shaped/threaded for use with the carrier.

“fillister”–never have run across that word before now.  Cool!

Fine steel wool and oil–choose a test area, a bit of oil, scrub lightly with the steel wool.  That should give you a clue as to corrosion/pitting or a nasty coating.

If it is lacquer, and if you want to take the coating off your wood–the rag with denatured alcohol will do the trick.

I was able to view a larger batch of your photos.  Some of your photos make me think it is not coated with anything. Others show maybe it is. Reminds me of the texture paint people use for model railroad surfaces.

Surely someone else on the forum can tell what is going on with your metal.  Wish they would chime in.

WACA Guest
January 26, 2017 - 4:35 am

FromTheWoods:

I will do as you say.  At the very least, I want the action to operate and I want it to have all the parts.  I will have someone look at it before I fire it.  In the interim though, I will punch the bore (copper brush and patches are okay. I assume?) and oil all the parts.  I’ll test a portion with the steel wool too.

It will be a slow process though.  I hope to get Vince his photos someday.  Maybe a picture of a 100 yard target with a good group on it too.

Like you, I also look forward to any comments from others.  No one is going to hurt my feelings about this old girl or my intentions.

Thanks.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, Chuck, win4575, sb, Louis Luttrell, Jeremy P, gene66, Ronc
Guest(s) 119
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6358
TXGunNut: 5019
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246
Big Larry: 2340
twobit: 2293
mrcvs: 1723