Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Sheard marking on 1886 rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 202
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 1, 2016 - 9:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Any significance to the marking “From W.F. Sheard, Livingston, MT” on an 1886 rifle?  The marking is located between the receiver and front sight on top of the barrel. I have also seen the mark as “From W.F. Sheard, Tacoma, WA” as well.  Did this guy have two outposts?  Thanks.

Forum Posts: 960
February 1, 2016 - 10:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’ve read he was in Livingston, MT before Tacoma, WA.  Hopefully, that is correct.  I’ve seen a number of the Sheard marked guns around and it would be interesting to know if the location of the markings had significance also. 

I’ve been more interested in learning about the WF Sheard marked sights I guess.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
February 1, 2016 - 10:27 pm

Mark,

He started out in Livingston, MT, then moved his business to Tacoma, WA. William Sheard invented and patented a number if gunsights, which he later sold to Marbles. I belive that he was in Livingston until the early to mid 1890s, then he was in Tacoma through the early teens. He eventually sold out and retired in Southern California. During his time in MT & WA, he routinely marked Winchesters with his name and address.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 202
February 1, 2016 - 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info.  I remember when I bought the gun the guy I got it from tried to say it was rare due to the marking.  I talked him down anyhow!

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
February 2, 2016 - 12:07 am

I have a Colt Frontier Six Shooter from the early 1900’s with similar Sheard markings (and Sheard sights). Apparantly a lot of custom work was marked as such when it came out of their shop. Or so I discovered when I researched that revolver.

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

February 2, 2016 - 12:31 am

Here is a little bit more about the sights from past discussion if anyone is interested, not so much about the guns.  That Marble was advertising and selling the sights as made by them while at the same time Sheard was advertising and selling them himself interests me.   Good thinking.

(I have since learned a little more about the C.W. DuBois, Tacoma, WA product line from another sight collector.)

Brad

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-sights/Winchester+Model+1894+Sights+Project/page-2/

Regards

Brad Dunbar

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
February 2, 2016 - 3:07 am

As I understand it, W.F. Sheard was a dealer in mostly sporting goods as well as the patent holder of a number of gun sights.  His gun inventory was usually stamped with his name and location, somewhat like the guns Winchester sent to Browning as payment and retailed by the latter.

Catalogue titled “Winter of 1896 and 1897. W.F. Sheard’s Classifed Quotations of Raw Furs and Skins – Manufacturer of Fancy Furs and Robes, Exporter of Raw Furs and Skins – Main Office: London, England, Branches: Leipzig, Germany, Chicago, Illinois, New York City, Livingston, Montana – 908 and 910 A Street, Tacoma, Washington” – inside is a price guide for various fur types, guns and cartridges, traps, guides, snowshoes, sweaters and poisons.

http://saskhistoryonline.ca/islandora/object/usaskarchives%3A39729#page/1/mode/2up

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
February 2, 2016 - 3:24 am

Wow. That’s really cool. Thanks.

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

February 2, 2016 - 9:59 am

That is neat, thanks!

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Paul Shea
WACA Guest
April 12, 2017 - 7:45 pm

Just came across this thread while researching.  We have a 1886 4570 Winchester Lever action rifle in our collections.  It is marked on the barrel with “From W.F. Sheard, Livingston, Montana.  In our archives and records we show Sheard as being in business in Livingston, Montana from 1884 to 1895.  Paul Shea, Director, Yellowstone Gateway Museum, Livingston, Montana.

Forum Posts: 2118
April 12, 2017 - 9:30 pm

Wincacher said 

Catalogue titled “Winter of 1896 and 1897. W.F. Sheard’s Classifed Quotations of Raw Furs and Skins – Manufacturer of Fancy Furs and Robes, Exporter of Raw Furs and Skins – Main Office: London, England, Branches: Leipzig, Germany, Chicago, Illinois, New York City, Livingston, Montana – 908 and 910 A Street, Tacoma, Washington” – inside is a price guide for various fur types, guns and cartridges, traps, guides, snowshoes, sweaters and poisons.

http://saskhistoryonline.ca/islandora/object/usaskarchives%3A39729#page/1/mode/2up  

Very neat Wincacher, thanks!

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
April 13, 2017 - 1:09 am

I’ve heard the name Sheard before but had no idea the scope of his interests. Thanks, Gents! Excellent thread!

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
etrex
WACA Guest
April 13, 2017 - 2:27 pm

Wow, I love this guy. Do you think He went to the P.T. Barnum school of self promotion? Is it only me that wonders if you looked for Sheards offices in London,Leipzig,Chicago or new york you just might have trouble finding any records?

New Mexico
WACA Guest
April 14, 2017 - 12:53 am

etrex said
Wow, I love this guy. Do you think He went to the P.T. Barnum school of self promotion? Is it only me that wonders if you looked for Sheards offices in London,Leipzig,Chicago or new york you just might have trouble finding any records?  

Hey, smartass, PT Barnum was a shyster whereas Sheard was the real thing.

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
April 14, 2017 - 3:18 am

I also have a model 1886 with a rear sight marked W.F. Sheard Tacoma, Wash, PAT APP’LD FOR. It is a folding 3 leaf sight with the front leaf having an adjustment screw. The Winchester Museum letter notes Barringer rear sight 2 1/4″ from frame. I cannot find the same sight in any books I have. Has anyone seen this same sight or have any insight regarding the “Barringer”.

New Mexico
WACA Guest
April 17, 2017 - 5:28 pm
GCA Journal
• Spring 2006
WANTED:
Canadian issue Warner & Swasey model 1913 mus-
ket sight; U.S. WW1 Guiberson periscope rifle; U.S. Krag rifle
hyposcope; Brayton tubeless telescopic sight for Krag Rifle; U.S.
Trapdoor & Krag rifles fitted with Barringer rear sights; Model
1915 bolo bayonet & scabbard; early experimental scopes as test-
ed on Krag, M1903 and M1917 sniper rifles; experimental
M1917 rear sight as pictured on page 84 “U.S. Infantry Weapons
of the First World War” by Bruce Canfield; British WWI
S.M.L.E. 15 & 20 round magazines; German WWI Zeiss bifocal
scope that attaches to Gew 98 rifle rear sight; British & German
WWI rifle accessories: grenade launchers, trench magazines,
winter triggers, wire cutters & breakers, optical ( Galilean ) sights
– Lattey, Martin, Gibbs, Barnett, etc; V.B. grenade launcher to
suit M1903 rifle; U.S. trials bayonets as used with Krag &
M1903 rifles. Please write, email, or phone: Colin Green, 5
Tiffany Grove, Templestowe 3106, Victoria, Australia. Phone:
61.3.98462070; email: [email protected] (AUS-
TRALIA).

From The Spring 2005 issue of Garrand Collectors Association I’m guessing that
the Barringer sight was a military trial sight used on Krag and trapdoor models

WANTED:
U.S. WW1 Guiberson periscope rifle; U.S. Krag rifle
hyposcope; Brayton tubeless telescopic sight for Krag Rifle; U.S.
trapdoor and Krag rifles fitted with Barringer rear sights, also rifles
fitted with other trials sights; Belding and Mull, Knoble, and Van
Wie scope mounts to suit M1903 rifle; British WWI SMLE 15 and
20 round magazines; German WWI Zeiss bifocal scope that attach-
es to Gew 98 rifle rear sight; experimental M1917 rear sight as pic-
tured on page 84 “U.S. Infantry Weapons of the First World War”
by Bruce Canfield; early experimental scopes as tested on Krag,
M1903 and M1917 sniper rifles, especially Frankford Arsenal
examples; M14, M16, M21, etc. Military rifle accessories, includ-
ing scopes; British and German WWI rifle accessories: grenade
launchers, trench magazines, winter triggers, wire cutters and
breakers, optical (Galilean) sights – Lattey, Martin, Gibbs, Barnett,
etc; V.B. grenade launcher to suit M1903 rifle; U.S. trials bayonets
as used with Krag and M1903 rifles. Please write, email or phone:
Colin Green, 5 Tiffany Grove, Templestowe 3106, Victoria,
Australia. Phone: 61.3.98462070, Email: colingreenaust@hot-
mail.com.

1876-4-1.jpg

New Mexico
WACA Guest
April 17, 2017 - 5:36 pm

Here’s a 1918 patent application:

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Member
April 18, 2017 - 3:52 am

The Barringer sight notation on the museum letter still has me a little perplexed. Maybe it means the sight is in the Barringer style but manufactured by Sheard. The sight on my 86 is not a military style sight – the gun was manufactured in 1896 – much earlier than the patent dates noted above. Once again it is a folding 3 leaf sight with the front leaf having an adjustment screw. The sight is mounted just in front of the receiver and the gun also has front and rear Lyman sights, both of which are noted in the letter. I assume this sight was specifically requested by whomever originally ordered the gun – it is a deluxe, case hardened gun with lots of special order features which letter, including a matted barrel, pistol grip, hand made stock and specific pull, drop at heel and drop at comb. I would really like to find a book or catalog which has a picture of the sight. Thanks for information anyone may be able to provide.

April 18, 2017 - 3:24 pm

Hi Burt

I saved this image quite awhile ago, I think from ebay, maybe someone here bought or sold it.  For starters, does your rear sight look like this, without the MARBLE?  I’m not especially familiar with these but do know they can be quite valuable, definitely when intact.

s-l1600b.jpgImage Enlargers-l1600e.jpgImage Enlarger

This is a scan from one of my Hunter Tader Trapper magazines from 1912.  I do know from looking at catalogs and advertisements that WF Sheard advertised his sights from Tacoma while simultaneously they were advertised by Marble Safety Axe Co. and at times noted in their catalogs as “made under contract” or “made by MSA Co.”  Likewise, Marble noted the same for King sights, at least for a time.

49ab.jpgImage Enlarger

I did a Google search on Barringer and this came up first, not exactly the same thing.  However, I see Daniel M. Barringer had additonal gun sight patents cited by others:

https://www.google.com/patents/US494240?dq=barringer+rear+sight+for+firearms&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC28q9pq7TAhVo74MKHSCLD0kQ6AEIIzAA

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Regards

Brad Dunbar

WACA Member
April 19, 2017 - 2:51 am

Thanks Brad – that is the sight on my gun. It is exactly the same as the sight in the Hunter Trapper magazine except under the Tacoma, Wash it has Patent Pending. So, I guess the mystery for me is solved and I will conclude this sight was called a Barringer sight by Winchester because he designed the sight and I assume Winchester obtained the sight from Sheard who made and sold the sight. The serial number on the gun is 109591 – serial number 109588 (3 digits earlier) is exactly the same configuration (including the Barringer sight) and both were received in the warehouse the same day and shipped the same day – both of these guns (per the factory records) were returned and repaired at 2 different times and on the same exact dates – sure makes you wonder what they did to them and if the same guy owned them. Unfortunately, this guy only owns one of them today but if you know who has 109588 it would sure be fun to get them together for observation. An article in the Collector (Summer 2007) indicated only 206 matted barrel 86’s (all calibers) were produced so it might not be that hard to track down 109588. I know there are WACA members who are doing surveys but I do not know if anyone has an 86 survey in progress. Thanks again for your help with this. Burt

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, Maverick, mrcvs, Tedk, Big Larry, Green River Gus
Guest(s) 83
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261