Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Sheard marking on 1886 rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Steve Conro
WACA Guest
July 26, 2017 - 4:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just acquired a 1896 Winchester 94 ser# in the 59,000’s with this marking on it but the Tacoma address.  Fascinating info. 

Steve

Forum Posts: 960
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 2, 2017 - 6:20 pm

Here’s something else that came up on google that a few of you may be interested in.  From the National Hardware Bulletin: 

Hardware_Retailer-pg-121-a.jpgImage Enlarger

I also found one of these recently.  Definitely not without flaws but I’m happy to have one around.

WFS-1.jpgImage EnlargerWFS-2.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
August 2, 2017 - 8:11 pm

there is one of those sames sights on ebay for $999.99! 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
August 2, 2017 - 10:14 pm

Intersesting little sight, Brad. Congrats!

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
August 3, 2017 - 2:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

model1886.jpgImage EnlargerAlways really liked the sight – thanks to WACA members for helping me learn more about it. Burt

August 3, 2017 - 12:26 pm

Great looking rifle Burt!

Regards

Brad Dunbar

WACA Member
August 5, 2017 - 6:19 pm

Thanks Brad – I have had the 86 for about 30 years. It has a matted barrel which makes it pretty rare. There is an article in the Winchester Collector (Summer 2007) which says only 206 matted barrel 86’s were produced (all calibers). Do you know of anyone doing research and recording serial numbers on the Model 86 because there are two other’s just like this one I would like to find, if they even survived. I have a copy of the page from the ledger where they were recorded and all three are exactly the same, including the matted barrel, hand made stock and the Barringer sight we have been discussing. All three were shipped the same day to the same order number. My gun is # 109591 – the other two are 109592 and 109588. Burt 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
August 5, 2017 - 7:14 pm

Burt,

Get in touch with John Madl. If anyone knows how many were made with a matted barrel, it will be him.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
August 10, 2017 - 4:08 am

Bert – I do not know Mr. Madl. Is it possible to get in touch with him thru this forum. The article in the Summer 2007 Collector states “John Madl indicates that in his extensive research of the Model 1886 he has identified a total of 206 Model 1886’s in all calibers that shipped with matted barrels, of which 20 were chambered in 33 WCF” – my rifle is a 45-90. What I was really trying to find out is if anyone is keeping enough information on 1886’s like you do on Model 1894 variations that would help me track down the other two guns which were shipped to the same order number as my gun. I have a copy of the ledger page and all 3 guns are identical – one is a consecutive number to mine, one is 4 digits prior. When you look at the configuration of the gun it really makes you wonder why someone would order three exactly the same. As always, thanks for any words of wisdom or help you may be able to provide.  Burt1886letter.jpgImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
August 10, 2017 - 3:22 pm

Burt,

Very interesting rifle!  I do not believe that John Madl participates here on the WACA forums (though it would be nice if he did).  I do not know the exact extent to which John is tracking the Model 1886 with special features, or if he is tracking their location(s).  Contact me off forum, and I will give you his contact information so that you can discuss it with him.

Bert

August 10, 2017 - 4:01 pm

John also has an article in the next Winchester Collector  on his  50-105 EX research.  The magazine should be mailed out very soon.

Burt: Your 1886 must have a very full entry in the original records.  I would be neat to see someday.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

WACA Member
August 11, 2017 - 3:32 am

winchesterledger.jpgImage EnlargerThe ledger entries are not the easiest to decipher – those at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center who go thru them have their work cut out for them. I am not sure how well the photo depicts the entry notes but they are just notes and abbreviations, packed in tight – totally out of room for this entry. The rifle serial number is 109591 and note how the next serial number just has a bunch of ditto marks indicting everything is identical – 4 digits prior is another gun exactly the same – the ledger notes (off to the right so you cannot see them) indicate the same order number for all 3 guns and shipped the same day. Yep, it would be fun to find out if one or both still exist and I will be talking to Bert about hooking me up with Mr. Madl for more information. I would enjoy showing you the gun, or any others – just give me a call the next time you are in Alaska. I look forward to reading the upcoming article by Mr. Madl – I did not know they made a Model 86 in 50-105. Many years ago I used to have a 50-100-450. It was a case hardened deluxe and kind of wish I still had it. The only 50 caliber gun I have anymore is a Model 1876, 50 Express – it is also a deluxe, case hardened gun, PG, rifle butt, OB, button mag.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
August 11, 2017 - 10:35 pm

That 50 sounds pretty spectacular, almost worth a drive to Alaska! The few entries I’ve gotten to see had remarkably good handwriting but they were from the 1920’s IIRC. This entry does seem a bit cramped but a practiced eye can probably figure most or all of it out.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Craig Michigan
WACA Guest
December 3, 2021 - 2:27 pm

I have a model 1894 Winchester in 32-40 caliber that was manufactured in 1898 (as close as can be determined from the serial number) it has double set triggers and a “Marbles” type rear sight.  On the receiver, opposite the loading port is W E Sheard, Tacoma WA.   My Grandfather on his way to Alaska stopped in Tacoma and had “some sight work done” as was told to me.  The rifle is a family heirloom now.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 5, 2021 - 6:39 am

Hello Craig,

What is the serial number on your Model 1894? With it, the exact date it was manufactured can be determined.

Bert

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
December 5, 2021 - 2:03 pm

Craig Michigan said
I have a model 1894 Winchester in 32-40 caliber that was manufactured in 1898 (as close as can be determined from the serial number) it has double set triggers and a “Marbles” type rear sight.  On the receiver, opposite the loading port is W E Sheard, Tacoma WA.   My Grandfather on his way to Alaska stopped in Tacoma and had “some sight work done” as was told to me.  The rifle is a family heirloom now.    

I believe Sheard sold guns as well as making sights, so is it possible your grandfather bought the gun there?   I wouldn’t be too thrilled to find a dealer’s marking added to my gun if I had merely left it there for some minor work; although you’d think changing front & rear sights could be done while the customer waited.  Marbles later bought out Sheard’s sight business.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
December 5, 2021 - 5:37 pm

I’ve owned a number of Sheard marked sights in the past, most marked Livingston and a few with the Tacoma marking.  I had a standard, very high condition 1893 Marlin in .38-55 with the same style sight shown in Brads photos.  Also had a model 1880 plyer handle Winchester reloading tool in .50-95 Express that was marked W.F. Sheard, Livingston.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
December 5, 2021 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

You have to remember that in the mid to late 1800’s there were very few major gun dealers/manufacturers west of the Mississippi.  Sheard was one of them.  I believe finding these marks or sights on a gun is almost like finding the Browning Bros stamp.  It clearly is a sign that this gun was in the West and I feel brings some interesting provenance to the gun. It may not add to the price but it definitely does not detract.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
December 6, 2021 - 12:32 am

I agree with Chuck.  From what I know of the items I’ve seen marked by Sheard, it appears that many things that came through his shop, were marked with his cartouche.  Not unlike Browning.  Have to keep in mind that these items are all of great interest to true collectors and help tell the story of those times.  Seems like with what is happening in this country today, small pieces like this should remind of our history.  We’re taking our past for granted.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, 33wcf, 426crown, TR, oldcrankyyankee, Chris Sterling
Guest(s) 164
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250