Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Opinions on Roosevelt connection on M1886 .45-90?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4139
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4552
July 26, 2020 - 6:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Not dubious, just built in the style of.  Don’t buy letters.

WACA Member
July 26, 2020 - 6:43 pm

Chuck said
Not dubious, just built in the style of.  Don’t buy letters.  

Chuck –

I have to agree.  There is a nice enough rifle here, but the connection to Roosevelt is sheer speculation.  Letters can be handy to use to hype something – but that’s all you end up with is just hype.  

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6246
July 26, 2020 - 6:55 pm

Surprised there’s no factory letter to go along with it, not that it would necessarily confirm or refute the Roosevelt connection.  To many with this kind of money to spend, I suspect Wilson’s letter will be all the documentation they require to accept the story.

WACA Member
July 26, 2020 - 7:10 pm

clarence said
Surprised there’s no factory letter to go along with it, not that it would necessarily confirm or refute the Roosevelt connection.  To many with this kind of money to spend, I suspect Wilson’s letter will be all the documentation they require to accept the story.  

It’s not in the serial number range where a letter would be available.  I agree completely with your thought about those who will accept the Larry Wilson letter as all the documentation needed.  How can you bid against those that are ill-informed?  I learned a while ago:  you don’t.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4935
July 26, 2020 - 11:26 pm

Quite possible but no provenance other than consistencies with TR’s known tastes and Wilson’s opinion. While I have considerable respect for R L Wilson’s knowledge of the subject I have little use for his opinion in this situation. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
July 27, 2020 - 12:47 am

steve004 said
How can you bid against those that are ill-informed?  I learned a while ago:  you don’t.  

I began learning that lesson over 20 yrs ago when ebay came into my life.  The amount of collectible stuff mis-described there by know-nothing sellers is prodigious, & equally prodigious is the gullibility of know-nothing buyers. 

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 793
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
July 27, 2020 - 1:38 am

When did R.L. Wilson’s credibility get reinstated?  “Let the buyer beware”!  Roger B.

WACA Member
July 27, 2020 - 2:00 am

rogertherelic said
When did R.L. Wilson’s credibility get reinstated?  “Let the buyer beware”!  Roger B.  

Excellent point.  

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4935
July 27, 2020 - 3:16 am

rogertherelic said

Credibility is gone. I think that’s a tragedy because he was very knowledgeable and articulate. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 475
July 28, 2020 - 6:24 pm

I have read “African Game Trails” and other Roosevelt books discussing his armaments taken to African on safari.  He mentions his Model 1895 in .405 caliber, a mosel 1894 in .30 W.C.F., a 1903 Springfield and his Holland and Holland double rifle but I do not recall any mentiaon of an 1886.  As George Madis always said, “Buy the rifle and not the story”!

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1547
July 28, 2020 - 6:43 pm

That is a very tough sale in my opinion. The gun can’t be lettered. I wonder if there would be anything to tie the rifle to Roosevelt in the Roosevelt library? But find that prospect doubtful.

I also wonder, was there not anyone else going to Africa in 1909? If the engraving is legit, what else would that imply?

The 15 pages from R.L.Wilson are purely speculative and don’t confirm anything. They also just merely tell a story that he’s woven to be plausible. But anyone can do that.

Sincerely,

Maverick

NY
WACA Member
July 28, 2020 - 7:18 pm

Maverick said
The 15 pages from R.L.Wilson are purely speculative and don’t confirm anything. They also just merely tell a story that he’s woven to be plausible. But anyone can do that.

“Anyone” hasn’t written about 40 gun books, inc. one (which I hadn’t previously heard of) specifically about TR’s safari.

WACA Member
July 28, 2020 - 8:57 pm

clarence said

“Anyone” hasn’t written about 40 gun books, inc. one (which I hadn’t previously heard of) specifically about TR’s safari.  

That is true. But anyone can and do go to the federal prison for fraud.

Just saying.

WACA Member
July 28, 2020 - 9:45 pm

Rick Hill said
I have read “African Game Trails” and other Roosevelt books discussing his armaments taken to African on safari.  He mentions his Model 1895 in .405 caliber, a mosel 1894 in .30 W.C.F., a 1903 Springfield and his Holland and Holland double rifle but I do not recall any mentiaon of an 1886.  As George Madis always said, “Buy the rifle and not the story”!  

I’m trying to recall his history with the M1886.  I recall TR hunted quite a bit with his M1876 Winchester (.45/75?) and I also seem to recall he liked his Bullard .50/115 pretty well.

NY
WACA Member
July 29, 2020 - 12:35 am

steve004 said

I’m trying to recall his history with the M1886.  I recall TR hunted quite a bit with his M1876 Winchester (.45/75?) and I also seem to recall he liked his Bullard .50/115 pretty well.  

True, but he had no sentimental attachment for using “old guns” for hunting, & upgraded his arsenal as quickly as better models became available.  He kept himself fully informed of the progress of developing the .30-03, then the .30-06, so kept step with the latest ballistic improvements, inc. the spitzer bullets that the ’95 could handle, but none of the tubular mag models.  Best argument for his not considering an ’86 is that it would have been totally redundant to his much superior ’95, & even an expedition as large & elaborate as his safari would have no room for unneeded baggage. 

NY
WACA Member
July 29, 2020 - 12:48 am

Maverick said

That is true. But anyone can and do go to the federal prison for fraud.

Yes, considering his talent & accomplishments, it’s sad his high-flying lifestyle brought him to that pass, but it’s almost an “occupational hazard” among the experts whose word & opinion can make a huge difference in value.  Many big-time art dealers have succumbed to the same temptation of falsely attributing an unsigned painting or other art work in order to inflate its value.

WACA Member
July 29, 2020 - 12:53 am

clarence said

True, but he had no sentimental attachment for using “old guns” for hunting, & upgraded his arsenal as quickly as better models became available.  He kept himself fully informed of the progress of developing the .30-03, then the .30-06, so kept step with the latest ballistic improvements, inc. the spitzer bullets that the ’95 could handle, but none of the tubular mag models.  Best argument for his not considering an ’86 is that it would have been totally redundant to his much superior ’95, & even an expedition as large & elaborate as his safari would have no room for unneeded baggage.   

Clarence – 

I appreciate your thoughts and I agree.  By the time 1909 came along, the .45-90 was hardly a new development.  It’s nothing TR would have been excited about at that late date.  Wilson even says in his letter:   “It was TR’s practice to add new Winchester to his battery of arms as improved models were introduced…”  It seems to me Wilson himself discredits his premise.  

RickC
WACA Guest
July 29, 2020 - 5:39 pm

Stories are a dime a dozen. RL Wilson’s credibility died with him, actually before that. However, I don’t discredit his earlier material & contributions. Jmo

RickC

WACA Member
July 29, 2020 - 9:08 pm

RickC said
Stories are a dime a dozen. RL Wilson’s credibility died with him, actually before that. However, I don’t discredit his earlier material & contributions. Jmo

RickC  

Was just curious as what you define as his earlier material?

Sincerely,

Maverick

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: rogertherelic, 86Win, [email protected]
Guest(s) 81
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6246
TXGunNut: 4935
Chuck: 4552