Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Opinions on Roosevelt connection on M1886 .45-90?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
RickC
WACA Guest
July 29, 2020 - 9:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Maverick said

Was just curious as what you define as his earlier material?

Sincerely,

Maverick  

Well I prob should’ve just said early contributions re: Colt. I don’t think he initially intended to dupe people. I feel it was the rock star image of gun collectors got him & no turning back. Happens to a lot of people.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 1, 2020 - 3:46 am

Moderator, please feel free to delete this Post if in violation of any rule/policy.

Wilson is active on a handgun forum in which I participate. His expertise there is both great and appreciated . I include myself in his audience. That said…
Significant breach of trust, particularly involving “fiduciary relationship”, to which he admitted violation. So-called “double dealing”, has destroyed his credibility.
While I do read with interest his opinions and shall continue, where there is any inference of acting as apparent expert to affect the value of property… to turn rapidly away.
In the case of the TR rifle of reference, hardly to accept such professed expertise offered by one who sold their integrity, defrauding clients in respect of the very same expertise ‘MO’. Here, absolutely to “buy the gun rather than the story”!
Best & Stay Safe!
John
Reference the Wilson story as of 2006: http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/1225/112.html

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10695
August 1, 2020 - 4:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

iskra said
Moderator, please feel free to delete this Post if in violation of any rule/policy.

Wilson is active on a handgun forum in which I participate. His expertise there is both great and appreciated . I include myself in his audience. That said…
Significant breach of trust, particularly involving “fiduciary relationship”, to which he admitted violation. So-called “double dealing”, has destroyed his credibility.
While I do read with interest his opinions and shall continue, where there is any inference of acting as apparent expert to affect the value of property… to turn rapidly away.
In the case of the TR rifle of reference, hardly to accept such professed expertise offered by one who sold their integrity, defrauding clients in respect of the very same expertise ‘MO’. Here, absolutely to “buy the gun rather than the story”!
Best & Stay Safe!
John
Reference the Wilson story as of 2006: http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/1225/112.html  

John,

It is not possible for R.L. Wilson to be active on any internet venue… he passed away last year (I believe it was in November).

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

RickC
WACA Guest
August 1, 2020 - 7:10 am

If he’s active on another forum he’s replying from the grave!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/12/22/in-memoriam-noted-firearms-author-rl-wilson/

RickC
WACA Guest
August 1, 2020 - 7:13 am

iskra said

Best & Stay Safe!
John

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2006-03-26-0603260031-story.html

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
August 1, 2020 - 8:27 pm

MY! How time does fly! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Didn’t know he’d passed, but not particularly keeping up with him in any sense. Just the momentary ‘knee Jerk’ reaction in noting the name, memory ‘blip’ resulting.
He contributed at the Smith & Wesson Collector Forum, from which my recollection occurred. Also from Colt Forums. I believe I’ve seen one of his posts within the last ~6 months. Apparently on an archived Thread revived.
I hold no residual contempt for ‘almost’ any who’ve passed. Nor any for him.

Thanks for the update… Good to know! I do admire that 1886 which brought his name to the forefront here. Perhaps interesting to follow that piece to see what/if the auction brings! Thanks for the interesting Thread and expertise reflected here!

Best!
John

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4552
August 1, 2020 - 9:30 pm

There were other experts that would write a letter for a price.  Just beware of guns that need some letter to help it sell.

RickC
WACA Guest
August 1, 2020 - 9:55 pm

Chuck said
There were other experts that would write a letter for a price.  Just beware of guns that need some letter to help it sell.  

Very true Chuck!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1547
August 2, 2020 - 4:04 am

RickC said

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2006-03-26-0603260031-story.html  

I did not know that his EX / Father-n-law was a book binder. Kinda make sense that he has 50 some odd titles to his name. I would imagine his father-n-law’s connections with the publishing world helped him out a bunch. Now a days it is a lot easier to publish a book, but 40+ years ago I don’t think this was the same case. Several of his titles are practically the same boiler plate of information, and just re-branded.

There are several titles of his I thoroughly enjoy. The L.D. Nimschke book is a nice one, and there not much currently to compare with his Winchester Engraving book, even though now there are some guns in that volume I find questionable. But with what is know about him know, everything I see of his I always take a fine toothed comb to.

Sincerely,

Maverick

P.S. I wonder who ended up with his scale replica Colt Blue Dome Gazebo?

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6246
August 2, 2020 - 3:49 pm

Maverick said

I did not know that his EX / Father-n-law was a book binder. Kinda make sense that he has 50 some odd titles to his name. I would imagine his father-n-law’s connections with the publishing world helped him out a bunch.

I’ve known several hand bookbinders, & one of my many unfulfilled aspirations was to learn the trade myself (the apprenticeship is several yrs.)  They have NO connection to the “publishing world.”

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1547
August 2, 2020 - 5:49 pm

clarence said

Maverick said
I did not know that his EX / Father-n-law was a book binder. Kinda make sense that he has 50 some odd titles to his name. I would imagine his father-n-law’s connections with the publishing world helped him out a bunch.

I’ve known several hand bookbinders, & one of my many unfulfilled aspirations was to learn the trade myself (the apprenticeship is several yrs.)  They have NO connection to the “publishing world.”  

Then who’s books are they binding, if not publishers?

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4139
August 2, 2020 - 7:15 pm

RickC said

Very true Chuck!  

Chuck said

I also agree completely with Chuck.  In the case of this M1886, the rifle is nice enough.  I don’t think the rifle needs help.  But the story sure needs help.  What makes me shake my head the most is how RIA titled the auction:

Roosevelt’s African Safari Winchester Model 1886 Rifle

RickC
WACA Guest
August 2, 2020 - 7:39 pm

steve004 said

Chuck said

I also agree completely with Chuck.  In the case of this M1886, the rifle is nice enough.  I don’t think the rifle needs help.  But the story sure needs help.  What makes me shake my head the most is how RIA titled the auction:

Roosevelt’s African Safari Winchester Model 1886 Rifle

RIA is very self serving. They use whatever reference gives them the oldest DOM knowing full well the dates are not correct.
I’ve seen more than a few there with stories & descriptions that are suspect or inflated.

RickC

NY
WACA Member
August 2, 2020 - 8:08 pm

Maverick said

Then who’s books are they binding, if not publishers?

Sincerely,

Maverick  

The books of their customers–the people bringing them books they want bound or re-bound.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4139
September 11, 2020 - 3:50 pm

steve004 said
I, for one, am dubious.  Quite dubious.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/80/24/roosevelts-african-safari-winchester-model-1886-rifle  

I guess others weren’t as dubious as me.  With an auction estimate of $15 – $25K, the hammer price this morning was $25K.  I was listening to auctioneer’s comments immediately prior to starting the bidding  – he urged everyone to, “read the description on this one” and asserted, “the math adds up.”  Well, I contend they are using some sort of, “new math” that they weren’t teaching back when I was in school.  

NY
WACA Member
September 11, 2020 - 7:34 pm

steve004 said

I guess others weren’t as dubious as me.    

They weren’t as INTELLIGENT, or at least as clear thinking, as you!  Thoughtful analysis of all the facts & circumstances is an unnecessary chore, anyway, when you’ve got that much money in your pocket. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4935
September 11, 2020 - 11:30 pm

If people weren’t “buying the story” people wouldn’t write them. Somebody paid good money for that story, I hope it’s true.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: mrcvs
Guest(s) 78
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6246
TXGunNut: 4935
Chuck: 4552
1873man: 4273