Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1894 with 36" barrel, pictures included.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 40
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 12, 2017 - 7:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I greatly appreciate all the insight everyone is providing. It is truly great to find a group of folks willing to come together and help out a complete stranger. This is my first dive into serious firearms collecting and the thought of spending $5500 on one rifle has me a bit shaken, to say the very least. This is nice used vehicle type of money, which I would honestly get more use from but likely would not bring near as much joy. I have been collecting for several years acquiring some 70+ modern firearms over a four year period. At first it was whatever I could get, using the old quantity method. Later I started being a little more picky, still a quantity method but only buying the nicer examples or severely under priced. Nowadays I look more for the nicest available examples of what I want to own, much like this 1894.   

Only own one 1894, but it's a good one.

WACA Guest
December 12, 2017 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

One member has brought up the question of this rifle possibly having an tang sight at some point. I will have to agree that the screws in the tang would suggest this as a definite possibility. Oddly enough the same shop has a Winchester model 06 with a tang sight, that belongs to the same consignee. I wonder if this sight could have resided on the 1894 for some period of time?

This rifle is serial numbered 663762, which should put it in the mid 1920’s. I believe this sight is a much earlier Lyman #2 that would be more suited to the age of the 1894, which has been determined to have been manufactured in 1903. It would seem that the little model 06 would be better suited to have a 2A sight with the locking lever.

But… The 1894 has a rear sight dovetailed into the barrel. If it had originally came with a tang sight would that dovetail not have been plugged or deleted? Also the 1894’s tang is evenly discolored, would it not be almost prefect if a tang sight had always been there?

Winchester Model 06 with tang sight

model 06 tang sightImage Enlarger06 serial numberImage Enlarger

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 478
December 12, 2017 - 8:28 pm

Tiny:

Here is a table that I put together for an article printed in “The Winchester Collector” several year’s ago that you may fond of interest.

Good luck with your negotiation!

Long-Barrel-1894s.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

WACA Guest
December 12, 2017 - 10:06 pm

Rick Hill said
Tiny:

Here is a table that I put together for an article printed in “The Winchester Collector” several year’s ago that you may fond of interest.

Good luck with your negotiation!

Long-Barrel-1894s.JPGImage Enlarger  

Big thanks for that information, again proving there are a great bunch of folks using these forums. Looks like I may have found one of eight 38-55 rifles with a 36 inch barrel.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
December 12, 2017 - 10:33 pm

Tiny,

The 1894 Armax figures are posted in the Summer, 2016 Winchester Collector Magazine.  On page 21, serial number 175381 is one of 209 rifles in the survey as having a swiss butt plate:

https://winchestercollector.org/magazines/201606/index.html#22

Congrats on your rare find,

Don

WACA Guest
December 12, 2017 - 11:04 pm

deerhunter said
Tiny,

The 1894 Armax figures are posted in the Summer, 2016 Winchester Collector Magazine.  On page 21, serial number 175381 is one of 209 rifles in the survey as having a swiss butt plate:

https://winchestercollector.org/magazines/201606/index.html#22

Congrats on your rare find,

Don  

Wow!! Right there it is in clear print. That is very exciting and, and the same time, so very disappointing because now I know the butt plate was modified.

Wonder what happened? Did the owner just not like it? Was it damaged and causing a dangerous situation? Wonder what the chances are of ever being able to find a replacement just for display purpose? 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
December 13, 2017 - 12:27 am

OK, here is the information from the factory warehouse ledger records (courtesy of the CFM).

WINCHESTER MODEL 1894 – SERIAL NUMBER 175381

Serial number applied on February 28, 1903

Type: Rifle

Caliber: 38/55

Barrel Type: Octagon

Barrel Length: 36 inches

Trigger: Plain

Sights: Lyman front and rear

Swiss plate

Received in warehouse on March 21, 1903

Shipped from warehouse on March 23, 1903, Order number 177981

Date: December 12, 2017 – Searched by: cms/jb

So, in addition to the altered Swiss butt plate, the Lyman tang sight was also removed.  The tang sight issue can easily be rectified.  Finding a Swiss butt plate that fits properly is going to be difficult, but not impossible.  While there were not that many of the Winchester lever-action rifles that were equipped with a Swiss butt plate, there were several thousand Model 1885 Single Shot rifles made with them.  That will help increase the odds of finding one.

Because this is a “modern” rifle, and it has some issues, I would try bargaining down the asking price by at least $700.  The Lyman tang sight is going to set you back approximately $150, and the Swiss butt plate at least $500 (possibly more).

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
December 13, 2017 - 1:39 am

Wow… Amazing information and so quickly. If I get into collecting Winchesters seriously I will certainly have to join the CFM. Am I correct in thinking that finding sight specs is unusual?

This is going to make for a powerful tool when it comes time for negotiations.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
December 13, 2017 - 1:45 am

Yes, having the sights letter is rare.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
December 13, 2017 - 1:53 am

[email protected] said
Wow… Amazing information and so quickly. If I get into collecting Winchesters seriously I will certainly have to join the CFM. Am I correct in thinking that finding sight specs is unusual?

This is going to make for a powerful tool when it comes time for negotiations.  

It is rare to find sights listed on an otherwise standard lever-action Winchester.  That stated, sights are frequently listed on a special order Winchester like this rifle.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
December 13, 2017 - 5:01 am

So, does this mean that I’m not losing my mind?  Or is the jury still out?

Maybe some Venn diagrams would help to answer that?  Or perhaps have Scotty beam-me-up, so Spock could Mind-Meld with me in order to elucidate regarding my lucidity or lack there of? 

If only I hadn’t misplaced my Communicator. . . . Whoop!  Whoop!  Whoop!  Nyuck.  Nyuck.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
December 13, 2017 - 5:16 am

FromTheWoods said
So, does this mean that I’m not losing my mind?  Or is the jury still out?

Maybe some Venn diagrams would help to answer that?  Or perhaps have Scotty beam-me-up, so Spock could Mind-Meld with me in order to elucidate regarding my lucidity or lack there of?   

If you are talking about the butt plate, there was another gun that was brought up a few weeks ago that had the swiss butt ears cut off but this is the first time this gun has been on the site. Its very common for them to get cut. It more of a target butt plate and does not lend itself to pulling the gun up quick to shoot so they cut them off. I have bought two guns that had them cut off.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
December 13, 2017 - 5:21 am

Thank you, Bob.

It must have been the other gun that I was thinking of.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
December 13, 2017 - 1:52 pm

A 36 inch barrel is rare, rare , rare! If the gun is original buy it. Make sure the barrel is not stretched, look down the bore for a seam or change in rifling, look down the outside for change in finish, and point the barrel at a light and look down the outside for a shadow or bend. The human eye can see a minor flaw if the angle and light is right. Post some really good pictures of the barrel address and serial number, if correct don’t worry about sights and butt plate. One of my most prized Winchester is a 36″ 1886, all 36″ barrels are extremely rare. Winchester didn’t make many and most were cut down at some point to make them easier to handle. The rarity is a uncut original barrel on the original gun with a letter to prove it. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
December 13, 2017 - 3:16 pm

I like 94s,  Got a 30 and a 32 incher still looking for a 34 and 36.

let us know what you decide

V/R

Mike Hunter

WACA Member
December 13, 2017 - 7:13 pm

I forgot to mention, 38/55 is the most desirable caliber for a 1894. This gun will not stay on the market long, T/R

WACA Guest
December 13, 2017 - 10:34 pm

Due to weather and work schedule I may not be able to get back to the rifle till after Christmas. Not much of an issue since I have a escrow deal with them right now. They have agreed to hold the rifle for 30 days pending a CFM report, little did I know Bert was going to jump in and speed things along. Big thanks to Bert, and all the others that messaged to offer the same assistance. To show my appreciation I have paid my dues and I am now a full fledged member.

I will let everyone know something shortly.

WACA Member
December 13, 2017 - 10:49 pm

I hope you realize that the gun is worth a great deal more than his asking price. T/R

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
December 13, 2017 - 11:55 pm

[email protected] said
Due to weather and work schedule I may not be able to get back to the rifle till after Christmas. Not much of an issue since I have a escrow deal with them right now. They have agreed to hold the rifle for 30 days pending a CFM report, little did I know Bert was going to jump in and speed things along. Big thanks to Bert, and all the others that messaged to offer the same assistance. To show my appreciation I have paid my dues and I am now a full fledged member.

I will let everyone know something shortly.  

Welcome to the forum, Johnnie. Looking forward to hearing more about this rifle.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
December 14, 2017 - 12:09 am

[email protected] said
To show my appreciation I have paid my dues and I am now a full fledged member.

Way to go Johnnie and welcome to one of the best sources of Winchester information anywhere.  What this group doesn’t know we can usually find out.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tim tomlinson, [email protected], Jeremy P
Guest(s) 186
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598