Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
M1876 .50-95 - how do you feel about the inscription?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2020 - 7:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Maverick said
Here is a study of the auction rifle #14103, #14105, & Bill’s Rifle.

ElevatorStudy.jpgImage Enlarger Looks like the first two are identical, and Bill’s Rifle is different. I would conclude that Bill’s Rifle was cut using a different stamp than the earlier two. 

But I do find the first rifle’s markings a little odd. Almost as if the stamp bounced and left the shadow mark. But who really knows?

I don’t know if the factory used individual stamps for the marking of the calibers early on, as I doubt they were individually engraved. The last caliber marking looks a like a more uniform stamping.

My humble opinion, take it or leave it.

Sincerely,

Maverick  

Maverick –

Thanks for taking the time to do this.  I am leaning toward the rifle in the question (the first elevator in the three you so), concluding that the elevator stamping came that way from the factory.  Some sort of bounce-back stamp situation or as you say, “who really knows?”  I am sure the workmen at the Winchester factory never dreamed that obsessive collectors would pour over these minute details with such concern – and how ambiguity over small details like this might determine whether one chose to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle – or walk away. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
May 25, 2020 - 7:54 pm

A real forensics guy/gal could probably detail out those tiny little hash marks inside the five and see if both strikes were done with the same tool.  Likewise with a comparison to the middle picture.  Those 5s also have the hash marks.  The five on the left on the middle photo even seems to show those hashes extending beyond the inside edge of the 5.  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
May 25, 2020 - 9:01 pm

The 73’s had 2 stamp process for each elevator the number 44, 38, and 32 were one stamp and the “Cal” was a seperate stamp. The 22’s had another  stamp for long or short. The 50-95 from what I can tell is a 3 stamp process, the 50, 95 and the dash were separate stamps.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
May 25, 2020 - 11:40 pm

1873man said
The 73’s had 2 stamp process for each elevator the number 44, 38, and 32 were one stamp and the “Cal” was a seperate stamp. The 22’s had another  stamp for long or short. The 50-95 from what I can tell is a 3 stamp process, the 50, 95 and the dash were separate stamps.

Bob  

Bob – that is helpful.   Thanks!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1586
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 26, 2020 - 12:38 am

1873man said
The 50-95 from what I can tell is a 3 stamp process, the 50, 95 and the dash were separate stamps.

Bob  

I don’t doubt that you are correct. I took the stampings of the first two rifles and tried overlaying them using a transparency and the spacing doesn’t match up between the two stamping overall left to right. Each individual number / mark matches up nicely with the corresponding number of the other rifle. Even each number has a very slight variance between them, but I would imagine that is merely how they were being held and by whom and also how hard they were stamped by the person(s) doing the stamping. Also don’t forget the bottom of an elevator is a slightly curved surface.

But I do wonder if later in production, if the factory used a single line item stamp “50 – 95”. As that seems to be what is going on with the rifle in the 27,000s.

It would be an interesting study to look at variations and compare the markings of all the 50-95 elevators that you could find. But who has time for that? And to what end?

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
May 26, 2020 - 12:40 am

1873man said

Bob  

Bob, I think that it is true for the dust cover too.  It certainly isn’t roll died.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 26, 2020 - 12:53 am

Some of you have seen these before but here are the actual elevator stamps for the 73. These were made J Ulrich and are marked . They put their names on them so they could be returned to the engraver to get repaired. There would of been several copies of each one depending on how many workstations were stamping them and you need extras to replace ones that get damaged or worn and have to be repaired. With each one a hand made stamp their would be difference in the shape of a letter or number from one gun to the next.

Bob

IMG_20160827_173203471.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_20160827_173317768.jpgImage EnlargerP4060003.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
May 26, 2020 - 12:58 am

1873man said
Some of you have seen these before but here are the actual elevator stamps for the 73. These were made J Ulrich and are marked . They put their names on them so they could be returned to the engraver to get repaired. There would of been several copies of each one depending on how many workstations were stamping them and you need extras to replace ones that get damaged or worn and have to be repaired. With each one a hand made stamp their would be difference in the shape of a letter or number from one gun to the next.

Bob

IMG_20160827_173203471.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_20160827_173317768.jpgImage EnlargerP4060003.JPGImage Enlarger  

Bob – I had not seen those before.  I’m glad I have.  Very cool.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
May 26, 2020 - 1:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

This is a top notch learning discussion.  Here’s my take:

The scrawling detracts from the value of this rifle.

The elevator stampings were probably factory work.

Overall condition of gun groups are a good match considering that the case colors have been touched up, perhaps, with a clear coat.  Much better job done on the receiver than the forend cap.

Graded condition of excellent is a huge stretch…more like the low end of VG.

The muzzle damage on one flat has obviously been repaired.

The elevator is an ill fit to the receiver as pointed out.

My first take on the number 5’s on the dust cover was that they were original as mentioned by TR as well.

Gun has been taken apart and reassembled.

I also agree that the caliber markings on the elevator was a three stamp process.

I also agree with Henry that this would be a tough sell, especially to a hard ass Winchester collector…and this forum is what builds this attitude.

Thanks to everyone for making this thread so interesting.

James

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
May 26, 2020 - 9:38 pm

Maverick said

I don’t doubt that you are correct. I took the stampings of the first two rifles and tried overlaying them using a transparency and the spacing doesn’t match up between the two stamping overall left to right. Each individual number / mark matches up nicely with the corresponding number of the other rifle. Even each number has a very slight variance between them, but I would imagine that is merely how they were being held and by whom and also how hard they were stamped by the person(s) doing the stamping. Also don’t forget the bottom of an elevator is a slightly curved surface.

But I do wonder if later in production, if the factory used a single line item stamp “50 – 95”. As that seems to be what is going on with the rifle in the 27,000s.

It would be an interesting study to look at variations and compare the markings of all the 50-95 elevators that you could find. But who has time for that? And to what end?

Sincerely,

Maverick  

Here are some photos of markings on a later gun of mine to compare- serial # is 50062.

IMG_0263.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_0259.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0261.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0258.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 27, 2020 - 1:10 am

I been holding back some information about this gun and wanted to verify it before saying anything. This gun showed up in a old survey I got from another collector and described the gun except it said it had a Shotgun Butt. I just got the Cody email and it letters Shotgun Butt. That is why there is no letter with the gun.

Bob

14103.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
May 27, 2020 - 1:35 am

1873man said
I been holding back some information about this gun and wanted to verify it before saying anything. This gun showed up in a old survey I got from another collector and described the gun except it said it had a Shotgun Butt. I just got the Cody email and it letters Shotgun Butt. That is why there is no letter with the gun.

Bob

14103.jpgImage Enlarger  

It is indeed a small world. So, when a previous collector had it, it had a shotgun butt (presumably the buttstock it was originally shipped with).  That means that the current stock was added far after the inscription dated 1884? 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 27, 2020 - 1:59 am

steve004 said

It is indeed a small world. So, when a previous collector had it, it had a shotgun butt (presumably the buttstock it was originally shipped with).  That means that the current stock was added far after the inscription dated 1884?   

I would say the bear story is just that or was from another gun.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
May 27, 2020 - 2:42 am

Stories, stories, stories you’ll love to hate them. Maybe learn to hate them.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
May 27, 2020 - 3:31 am

Good example of what a letter or phone search is worth. If it didn’t show up in an old search the owner would say it was a “ledger error”. Now if this gun was not in a letter-able serial number range you would think it’s original. Winchester made all the parts, but they didn’t put them all on the same gun. T/R

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
May 27, 2020 - 3:45 am

1873man said 
I just got the Cody email and it letters Shotgun Butt. That is why there is no letter with the gun.

Bob

What could possibly posses someone to switch the buttstocks?  Was the original somehow destroyed?  If that happened, it would be much easier to find a replacement with a crescent plate.  But then why draw attention to it with that ridiculous scrawl? 

This fraud ought to be brought to the attention of Morphy’s.  Doing so will reveal the extent of their complicity.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1586
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 27, 2020 - 4:36 am

Well I’d say swapped stocks drops the price down a bit, at least for me it does. That is why you always want to hold it in your hands.

Not the first and won’t be the last Winchester to have swapped stocks.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 31, 2020 - 3:48 pm

1873man said

Bob

14103.jpgImage Enlarger  

Bob-

Listing now includes a search result with the same date as yours. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 4:16 pm

Very interesting.  I wonder what brought this about?  Too bad it was just 2 days before the end of the auction.  It does say something for Morphy’s though.

WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 5:36 pm

M

Chuck said
Very interesting.  I wonder what brought this about?  Too bad it was just 2 days before the end of the auction.  It does say something for Morphy’s though.  

Maybe they were reading this thread.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Maverick, keith shaffer
Guest(s) 212
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323