Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
MODEL 1895 38-72 OCTAGON BARREL serial number is 22651
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 10:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

FOLKS, A NICE 1895 OCTAGON BARREL IN 38-72 CALIBER.THE GUN WAS OUT OF HAROLD MCcALLUM’S COLLECTION.HAROLD’S WAS WELL KNOW IN THE WINCHESTER COLLECTING WORLD,AS YOU EXPERTS WESSON GUNS. KNOW.
MY QUESTION IS THIS.I PLAN ON SELLING THIS GUN BEFORE I LIST IT ON ONE OF THE AUCTION SITES,I WAS WONDERING WHAT IS A FAIR PRICE,AND IF ANY WINCHESTER COLLECTOR WANTS A SHOT AT BUYING THIS GUN .I CAN SEND PICTURES,AND WILL POST PICTURES IF ANYONE WANTS TO BUY THIS GUN.
serial number is 22651

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1910
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 6, 2014 - 11:09 am

Is it a first model (flat side receiver) or second model (fluted receiver)? Are there any special order options or is it a standard sporting rifle? What’s the condition?

"road king"
WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 11:20 am

Here is a round barrel one that is for sale now; Pictures are not the best but might help you compare yours to this one.

Note this is not my gun and I am in no way attached to it.

Model 1895 Winchester Rifle in **38-72**
This is a high end condition Winchester rifle that is collectible and shootable. It is all original manufacture of regular configuration, round barrel, full magazine, serial #37,XXX, with excellent blue. The bore has a shiny appearance with observable lands and some spot pitting. The original finish is retained overall very well, very clean and smooth, at 80% or better. The wood has an original fit and most of its finish. This gun has not been used much at all. It’s very solid, complete from its vintage and has not been abused or messed with in any way. There is no rust or pitting. It is fully functional and very collectible. Asking $2,250 plus shipping.

http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Brampton-20140125-00494_zpsb4affe92.jpg.html

Brampton-20140125-00494_zpsb4affe92.jpgImage Enlarger

http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Brampton-20140125-00492_zps0d2c1dd0.jpg.html

Brampton-20140125-00492_zps0d2c1dd0.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 6, 2014 - 12:24 pm

I do miss Harold. Used to haunt his shop in Monroe when I was a teenager. He helped me with muzzle-loading supplies.

Quite a character.

(And yes, I did put money in the can to drool over his Winchesters.)

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 855
February 6, 2014 - 1:45 pm

The 38-72 with octagon barrel is much harder to find than the round barrel version. The condition has a huge influence on value as well. Can you post a photo or two?

"road king"
WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 3:38 pm

Not sure if a survey has been done to confirm but when I was a serious collector of the Model 1895, octagon barreled .38-72 and .40-72 were easier to find. These calibers where the first offered and octagon barrels were standard and round barrels optional. This caliber was discontinued on or around 1908 so I sure somebody may have done this survey. I am sure in the new book on 1895 should shed some light on this subject.

WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 3:48 pm

will download pics

WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 5:42 pm

[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]

"road king"
WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 7:01 pm

Interesting rifle. The serial # would help to accurately date the rifle and the government inspectors stamps on the hammer and lever also make it unique. The diamond inlays in the stocks are not likely original. Not really a high condition gun IMHO.

WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 7:18 pm

[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
the stamp on lever and trigger was harold mCeallums person stamp on his winchesters.

"road king"
WACA Guest
February 6, 2014 - 7:42 pm

I would suspect that the stamping is K.S.M. (Kelly S. Morse) government inspector. If you lower the lever there should be a stamp just forward of the trigger link also. I doubt that they are Harold McCallum’s stamp but would like to be proven wrong or show me a clear close up of the stamp. Wink

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 490
February 6, 2014 - 8:42 pm

For comparison, a 38-72 with octagon barrel in similar condition sold on gunbroker this evening for $1,450. The receiver had been drilled for a Lyman #21 sight and the threads were weak. Given the inlets in your gun, I would say they would be of similar value.

Coincidently, I have an 1895 in 40-72 with no military characteristics and the KSM stamp as well.

WACA Guest
February 7, 2014 - 6:26 am

the same stamp is on the trigger also
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found][
[Image Can Not Be Found]
[Image Can Not Be Found]

thanks for all advice guys.i think i will try to sell it at the price you good guys advised

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 192
February 7, 2014 - 9:57 am

I think that the U.S. government purchased ’95 muskets that were inspected by Morse (and marked U.S. on top of the receiver) went back to Winchester and were subsequently resold. This could be one that was re-barreled into a sporting rifle. The serial number might confirm this.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1578
February 7, 2014 - 11:43 am

oakridge said
I think that the U.S. government purchased ’95 muskets that were inspected by Morse (and marked U.S. on top of the receiver) went back to Winchester and were subsequently resold. This could be one that was re-barreled into a sporting rifle. The serial number might confirm this.

The U.S. government did purchase muskets that are marked U.S. on top of the receiver and have KSM stampings on them. But they are not the only 95s to have KSM stampings on them. I have a 95 musket that was used by and marked on the receiver "National Guard of Colorado". Where the U.S. stamp should be there is a rack number. I have often wondered if Mr. Morse inspected and stamped these 95s before complete assembly. As my Colorado musket has the KSM stamp on the hammer but it is only visible once the buttstock has been removed. Which has also made me wonder if he merely did stampings on selected parts. This particular 95 of twomoons could of merely had some stamped KSM parts that were used for it in assembly. Or what is more likely possible it was sent back to the factory for rebarreling and restocking. A Cody letter would be helpful in determining such a thing. Hint, Hint. Wink
[Image Can Not Be Found]

Here is some more Info I came across these KSM marked guns a while back.

I believe that the National Guard of Colorado muskets are from a different order than the U.S. marked muskets. But both orders where purchased by the government.

"The Gov’t ordered 10,000 ’95 muskets for use in the Spanish-American War, but…by the time they were shipped, the war had ended."
Quote of description on http://www.rarewinchesters.com

An order for 10,000 model 1895 muskets was ordered by the Army on May 3, 1898, at a cost of $207,000. Only 100 of these muskets saw service in the Philippines, shipped from San Francisco in September of 1899 and were issued to the 33 rd Volunteer Infantry for testing. Sometime in 1900, they were returned to the US and were sold to a Boston arms dealer who presumably disposed of them on the commercial market. The remaining 9,900 muskets were purchased by the M. Hartley Company and most of them were eventually shipped to Cuba in 1906.

Some of the original contract muskets were sent to The Philippines, but were rejected by the commanding officer, General Arthur MacArthur, father of Douglas" Ive be told they were rejected due to the fact they where difficult to be fired from the "prone" position, due to the long stroke of the lever of the model 95.

FYI–K.S.M. Inspector’s mark- Kelly S. Morse, Armory Sub-lnspector of Winchester Model 1895 rifles, Smith & Wesson Model 1899 cal. .38 revolvers and Colt Model 1911 cal. .45 semi-automatic pistols 1893-1915.

Sincerely,
Maverick

"road king"
WACA Guest
February 7, 2014 - 2:55 pm

What I think you will find is that these inspector marked parts were surplus parts not needed for government contacts and were just used in sporting rifles. Winchester like other companies would not waste any material that was laying around and if these parts were good enough for the government, they should be ok for the public.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 192
February 8, 2014 - 8:02 am

I still think this gun started life as one of the KSM inspected .30-40 Krag muskets, and was subsequently converted to a sporting rifle. Did Winchester do it, I don’t know. Again, the serial number would give an indication.

WACA Guest
February 10, 2014 - 1:13 pm

THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE GUN IS 226##

WACA Guest
February 10, 2014 - 1:23 pm

also,i could not find the ksm stamp forward of the trigger link

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
February 10, 2014 - 1:39 pm

twomoons said
THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE GUN IS 226##

Steve,

It is absolutely worthless to us when you substitute "##" for the actual numbers… we can not look-up an incomplete serial number.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6358
TXGunNut: 5019
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319