Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
MODEL 1895 38-72 OCTAGON BARREL serial number is 22651
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
"road king"
WACA Guest
February 10, 2014 - 1:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

twomoons said
also,i could not find the ksm stamp forward of the trigger link

All the more reason to lead me to believe it was originally assembled as a sporting rifle using left over parts that had been government inspected. The muskets would have the KSM in about 5 or 6 places IMHO.

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 491
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 10, 2014 - 6:53 pm

I would tend to agree with "Road King" that it was originally a sporting rifle. The 1895 I wrote about earlier letters in its current configuration as a 40-72 with 26" octagon barrel and has the KSM on the lever only. The lever certainly looks original to the gun, with matching patina. It was built shortly after this 38-72, so it seems likely that Winchester was cleaning up some leftover parts from a musket order at about this time.

WACA Guest
February 11, 2014 - 7:38 am

BERT,
I AM SORRY.I WILL GET THE COMPLETE SERIAL NUMBER TODAY.MY DEALER TOLD ME TO NEVER DISPLAY A COMPLETE SERIAL NUMBER ON ANY WEAPON,OR RIFLE,OR PISTOL..
I WILL GET IT TO YOU TODAY
SORRY SIR

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 478
February 11, 2014 - 7:50 am

Commercial Model 1895 rifles were definately assembled with "K.S.M." marked parts that were left over from the original military orders. These parts may have been over-runs but were probably rejected parts by the military inspector that were perfectly acceptable for commercial purposes. I’ve owned a couple of there rifles and they are generally in the serial number ranges for guns manufactured in the 1899 – 1902 time period.

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
February 11, 2014 - 7:54 am

twomoons said
BERT,
I AM SORRY.I WILL GET THE COMPLETE SERIAL NUMBER TODAY.MY DEALER TOLD ME TO NEVER DISPLAY A COMPLETE SERIAL NUMBER ON ANY WEAPON,OR RIFLE,OR PISTOL..
I WILL GET IT TO YOU TODAY
SORRY SIR

Steve,

Unless you or your dealer is buying & selling stolen firearms, there is no valid reason not to display a complete serial number. There is a lot of very useful information that can be gained when a complete serial number is disclosed.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 11, 2014 - 2:18 pm

serial is 22651

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
February 11, 2014 - 3:40 pm

twomoons said
also,i could not find the ksm stamp forward of the trigger link

All the more reason to lead me to believe it was originally assembled as a sporting rifle using left over parts that had been government inspected. The muskets would have the KSM in about 5 or 6 places IMHO.

Not all U.S. government contract muskets are marked in 5 or 6 places. The US musket I have is only marked on the hammer and barrel with the KSM stamping. It doesn’t have markings on the lever, the lever linkage, or on the buttplate. So never say never.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

All that said I’m still not sure that means anything in regards to the musket discussed on the forum. Someone will have to check with the cody records to really determine anything. Also the musket we’ve been discussing, I haven’t seen a good picture of the top of the receiver. If it was a US contracted musket is should be stamped U.S. or have a Rack number on top of the receiver just in front of the bolt. Does this gun have such markings?

Sincerely,
Maverick

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 192
February 11, 2014 - 8:36 pm

I believe the serial number of this rifle falls just within the range of the government purchased ’95 muskets, thus my belief that it was converted. I guess factory records would determine this. And, does this rifle have a U.S. marked receiver?

WACA Guest
February 19, 2014 - 12:39 pm

GUYS,,
WOULD THIS GUN QUALIFY AS A C&R GUN,AND THAT WAY IF I SELL IT FOR 1700,I WOULD NOT NEED A FFL ,BUT COULD SEND IT TO THE POTENTIAL BUYER.THANKS GUYS,YOUR ADVICE HAS BEEN GREAT.THIS IS A WONDERFUL FORUM YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
February 19, 2014 - 3:10 pm

Isn’t this an auction for this rifle?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=393274887

The gun does qualify as a C&R but that does not mean you can ship it directly to the purchaser. It requires shipment to either a C&R or FFL holder.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 150
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250