Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Winchester Deluxe
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
RickC
WACA Guest
January 12, 2022 - 2:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I had an EH 28” bl 86 in 45-70 DOM 1890 that I sold to another WACA member a few yrs ago. It had beautiful wood & was lettered with X stock. I can’t say it was as nice as 3x but it was to me.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 12, 2022 - 3:42 pm

thanks steve for providing thus far two examples. Interesting enough both have shotgun butt stock.  do any members have an example with the standard rifle  crescent butt plate ? I know other members must have examples that letter out ” fancy checkered stock ” , anyone else care to share? thanks

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
January 12, 2022 - 5:51 pm

Orion Jim said

The ad states “no refinishing has been done to the wood”. Why is the wood finish factory fresh (or better?) yet the steel seems to have an aged appearance? Can this be an accurate description?   

Case color will fade with handling and exposure to light.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
January 12, 2022 - 5:57 pm

Chuck said

Case color will fade with handling and exposure to light.  

Applying something like Snake Oil can really shine up wood (or metal).

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 590
January 12, 2022 - 8:49 pm

Folks, just a cautionary tale and one I do not care to prove.  Bob Land who collects Colts revolvers and used to attend Cody, at one time told me to NEVER use WD-40 on case colors as it will quickly fade the colors.  Now, I can’t say this makes sense to me as the contents are mostly fuel oil with other petroleum distillates and maybe alcohols.  But as I said, I don’t care to experiment on any of MY firearms to find out!  Do you suppose the “case colors” that faded by WD-40 were the smoozed version TR posted in another thread?  Don’t know again.  But take it for what it may be worth.  I use single wave length lights and keep my case colored rifles out of the sun as much as possible.  Tim

WACA Member
January 12, 2022 - 11:16 pm

tim tomlinson said
Folks, just a cautionary tale and one I do not care to prove.  Bob Land who collects Colts revolvers and used to attend Cody, at one time told me to NEVER use WD-40 on case colors as it will quickly fade the colors.  Now, I can’t say this makes sense to me as the contents are mostly fuel oil with other petroleum distillates and maybe alcohols.  But as I said, I don’t care to experiment on any of MY firearms to find out!  Do you suppose the “case colors” that faded by WD-40 were the smoozed version TR posted in another thread?  Don’t know again.  But take it for what it may be worth.  I use single wave length lights and keep my case colored rifles out of the sun as much as possible.  Tim  

I have heard that WD-40 is not good for case colors.  I’ve also heard it’s better to put it on the outside of your gun rather than the inside (except for case colored guns).  The reason passed along to me is that WD-40 can form more of a varnish-like surface.  This can serve to gum up an action.  However, as an exterior application, that varnish-like finish can be protective.  At least as explained to me.  YMMV

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 13, 2022 - 12:14 am

The WD-40 on case color no-no has been around as long as I have been collecting. I have no personal knowledge of it harming case colors but I’ve been told that since the beginning of my collecting hobby, so I never used it. I have not had the guts to try it on my guns. Even if it’s a rumor I’m not going to use it.

I’m sure there’s people that know a lot more about case color finish than me but it appears Winchester applied some type of varnish over the case colors in attempt to preserve the color. Over time it darken leaving a brown darken finish muting the vivid color but preserving the color. When removed the case colors are revealed preserved and brilliant. Austin’s gun is a good example. T/R

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 13, 2022 - 2:14 am

JEREMY S. said
thanks steve for providing thus far two examples. Interesting enough both have shotgun butt stock.  do any members have an example with the standard rifle  crescent butt plate ? I know other members must have examples that letter out ” fancy checkered stock ” , anyone else care to share? thanks  

Not checkered, but another straight grip “fancy stock” per the letter.

DSCN0087.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0089.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0099.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
January 13, 2022 - 2:31 am

pdog72 said

That is an amazing rifle.  Very exceptional.  Not only the fancy wood, but the set trigger, the 30 inch barrel (MATTED!) and the wonderful condition.  Simply stunning.  It hurts to view this rifle!  (Hurts that I don’t own it).  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 13, 2022 - 2:36 am

steve004 said

That is an amazing rifle.  Very exceptional.  Not only the fancy wood, but the set trigger, the 30 inch barrel (MATTED!) and the wonderful condition.  Simply stunning.  It hurts to view this rifle!  (Hurts that I don’t own it).    

You’ve seen this one before ……

30″ Matted 1886 – Cody Show | What’s New! | ForumWinchester Collector

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
January 13, 2022 - 2:44 am

pdog72 said

dang! that is a beautiful 86 pdog,  thank you for sharing. Interesting enough of the three posted thus far two letter no checkering and one checkered.two shotgun butt and one crescent. it would be interesting to see where this goes. perhaps we can keep the ball rolling and get an idea.. 

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, tx4445, win86guns, deerhunter, TXGunNut, John Sizer, Tim Adair
Guest(s) 319
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2303
mrcvs: 1727