Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Winchester Deluxe
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 29, 2019 - 4:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello fellow Winchester enthusiasts;

I am hoping  someone could tell me what makes an 1886 a “deluxe” model ? is it simply a high class pistol grip checkered stock or is there more to it than that , such as the case color hardening and set trigger.

Thank you for your response,

Ray Stark

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
December 29, 2019 - 9:48 pm

Hello Ray,

The Model 1886 was catalogued as follows;

1. Sporting Rifle (Solid frame & Take Down). The Sporting Rifle was standard with a 26-inch octagon barrel, Full magazine, plain trigger, and a straight grip plain Walnut stock w/steel crescent butt plate.

2. Fancy Sporting Rifle “deluxe” (Solid frame & Take Down) was standard with a 26-inch octagon barrel, Full magazine, plain trigger, and a fancy Walnut checkered pistol grip stock w/steel crescent butt plate.

3. Carbine (Saddle Ring, Solid frame)

4. Extra Light Weight (ELW) Rifle (Solid frame & Take Down), 45-70, 22-inch round barrel, Full or Half magazine, plain trigger, Shotgun butt w/black hard rubber butt plate, and a plain Walnut straight grip stock. The ELW could be ordered with a Fancy checked pistol grip stock & forearm.

Color Case finish was standard for the Solid frame Sporting Rifles, Fancy Sporting Rifles, and Carbines until August 1901, then Blued thereafter. Take Down variations were Blued only, as were all ELWs. The Sporting Rifle, Fancy Sporting Rifle, and Carbine could be ordered with a Half magazine at no extra cost (optional order).

Set triggers were always a “special order” feature, regardless of specific variation.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
December 29, 2019 - 9:53 pm

I have an ELW with 2X checkered wood. Plan to sell it someday, but not just yet.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
December 30, 2019 - 11:54 pm

Thanks Bert, 

Your information was exactly what I was looking for.

Ray Stark

RickC
WACA Guest
January 11, 2022 - 5:29 pm

Anyone ever seen a 86 deluxe with an original checkered straight grip stock ?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
January 11, 2022 - 6:21 pm

Bert H. said
Hello Ray,
1. Sporting Rifle (Solid frame & Take Down). The Sporting Rifle was standard with a 26-inch octagon barrel, Full magazine, plain trigger, and a straight grip plain Walnut stock w/steel crescent butt plate.
2. Fancy Sporting Rifle “deluxe” (Solid frame & Take Down) was standard with a 26-inch octagon barrel, Full magazine, plain trigger, and a fancy Walnut checkered pistol grip stock w/steel crescent butt plate.
4. Extra Light Weight (ELW) Rifle (Solid frame & Take Down), 45-70, 22-inch round barrel, Full or Half magazine, plain trigger, Shotgun butt w/black hard rubber butt plate, and a plain Walnut straight grip stock. The ELW could be ordered with a Fancy checked pistol grip stock & forearm.
Color Case finish was standard for the Solid frame Sporting Rifles, Fancy Sporting Rifles, and Carbines until August 1901, then Blued thereafter. Take Down variations were Blued only, as were all ELWs. The Sporting Rifle, Fancy Sporting Rifle, and Carbine could be ordered with a Half magazine at no extra cost (optional order).
Set triggers were always a “special order” feature, regardless of specific variation.
Bert  

Let’s not forget the .33 WCF.  Given it did not come with an octagon barrel, and the standard barrel length was 24 inches vs. 26 inches, I do not see it as fitting any of the categories listed above.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 11, 2022 - 8:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The word “Deluxe” was not used by Winchester to describe a Fancy Sporting Rifle, it’s a modern collector term that has different meanings to different people.

If your question is, have you ever seen a 86 with an original checkered straight grip stock the answer is yes. Not that common but people did order them. Under extras in the 1887 catalog a “Fancy Walnut Stock and Fore-arm” was $4, if also “checked” $8, if also “Pistol-grip” $12 and if you wanted just “Checking Butt-Stock and Fore-arm” on plain wood $4. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
January 11, 2022 - 9:44 pm

rick and I were discussing this today. I think the question is , can anyone provide information on a sporting rifle (not a extra lightweight as we have all seen those) that has  a fancy checkered stock ( deluxe straight grip) and letters as such.  Im looking for definitive proof confirmed by serial number and letter. hopefully we can get some people to tune in with an example or examples to see just how rare this variation is. 

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
January 11, 2022 - 9:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Some folks say a Winchester has to have xx wood or better to be a deluxe. Now these are only My thoughts. I have owned several Winchesters over the years with 8, 9, and more extra order features and straight grain walnut, I call them “deluxe” guns, some call them semi-deluxe. I have seen Winchesters with 2 extra order features, like pistol grip and checkered stock, with xxx wood and they are called “deluxe”. So all I’m getting at is the term “deluxe” is up to the beholder. I read somewhere that back in the day some folks ordering high end Winchesters were sceptical of fine  burl grained stocks, for fear of cracking or breaking so they would order their gun with the extra features they so desired and straight grain wood for durability kind of like this one.20210427_100531.jpgImage Enlarger20210427_101048-2.jpgImage Enlarger I recently sold this piece, I call it a “deluxe “, 20211008_111047-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111059-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111124-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111131-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111242-1.jpgImage Enlarger

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
January 11, 2022 - 11:27 pm

JEREMY S. said
rick and I were discussing this today. I think the question is , can anyone provide information on a sporting rifle (not a extra lightweight as we have all seen those) that has  a fancy checkered stock ( deluxe straight grip) and letters as such.  Im looking for definitive proof confirmed by serial number and letter. hopefully we can get some people to tune in with an example or examples to see just how rare this variation is.   

I’ve seen them.  In fact, I have one:

https://i.imgur.com/up6adaB.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/6fEeqiP.jpgImage Enlarger

As you can see from the museum letter, this rifle originally left the factory checkered.  It’s not now, however there is the slightest vestige of checkering remaining – so you can tell it had been checkered as the letter specifies.  When I purchased it, the owner (a dealer) claimed the rifle was returned to the factory to have the checkering removed.  He claimed the return and repair specified in the letter was, “proof.” He asserted this was true because since nothing else was changed on the rifle, it had to be that.  I liked the rifle so went ahead and bought the rifle and the story.   

RickC
WACA Guest
January 12, 2022 - 12:43 am

Henry Mero said
Some folks say a Winchester has to have xx wood or better to be a deluxe. Now these are only My thoughts. I have owned several Winchesters over the years with 8, 9, and more extra order features and straight grain walnut, I call them “deluxe” guns, some call them semi-deluxe. I have seen Winchesters with 2 extra order features, like pistol grip and checkered stock, with xxx wood and they are called “deluxe”. So all I’m getting at is the term “deluxe” is up to the beholder. I read somewhere that back in the day some folks ordering high end Winchesters were sceptical of fine  burl grained stocks, for fear of cracking or breaking so they would order their gun with the extra features they so desired and straight grain wood for durability kind of like this one.20210427_100531.jpgImage Enlarger20210427_101048-2.jpgImage Enlarger I recently sold this piece, I call it a “deluxe “, 20211008_111047-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111059-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111124-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111131-Copy.jpgImage Enlarger20211008_111242-1.jpgImage Enlarger  

Any in 86 Henry?

WACA Member
January 12, 2022 - 2:52 am

Here’s an example of a fancy “deluxe” straight grip M1886.  The straight grip rifles with checkered fancy wood are not common, but I think the seller (Austin) is correct, the ones without checkering are even more uncommon.  Note that this one includes a museum letter.  This is a very appealing rifle:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921197196

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 13
January 12, 2022 - 5:11 am

steve004 said
Here’s an example of a fancy “deluxe” straight grip M1886.  The straight grip rifles with checkered fancy wood are not common, but I think the seller (Austin) is correct, the ones without checkering are even more uncommon.  Note that this one includes a museum letter.  This is a very appealing rifle:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921197196  

The ad states “no refinishing has been done to the wood”. Why is the wood finish factory fresh (or better?) yet the steel seems to have an aged appearance? Can this be an accurate description? 

NRA Life Member

WACA Member #12457

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 304
January 12, 2022 - 10:51 am

3F765CCA-7BDD-4F57-9BF2-5CDA661D8D7E.jpegImage Enlarger4FF0A77D-708C-47E7-A662-D854167B5BDF.jpegImage Enlarger

Here’s a plain PG, TD, ELW

RickC
WACA Guest
January 12, 2022 - 11:39 am

Bert H. said
Hello Ray,
Bert  

With the only difference in the standard Sporting rifle & the Fancy Sporting rifle(deluxe) being fancy Walnut checkered pistol grip stock, was it always 3x wood?

WACA Member
January 12, 2022 - 1:41 pm

RickC said

With the only difference in the standard Sporting rifle & the Fancy Sporting rifle(deluxe) being fancy Walnut checkered pistol grip stock, was it always 3x wood?  

No it wasn’t. You really can’t tell the grade until you look at the tang and count the X’s. I have seen one to four X’s and sometimes when you compare guns a 2X might look nicer than a 3X. Maybe the grading was done to the blank before being cut, maybe the grading varied with supply, or maybe different graders. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. T/R

RickC
WACA Guest
January 12, 2022 - 1:52 pm

Thanks T/R for your replies. So realistically you could order two Fancy sporting rifles & one could have 2x or 3x wood & the other 4x.

Central Kansas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 198
January 12, 2022 - 1:53 pm

Orion Jim said

The ad states “no refinishing has been done to the wood”. Why is the wood finish factory fresh (or better?) yet the steel seems to have an aged appearance? Can this be an accurate description?   

Actually Jim, I think this is one description that is very accurate. I am seeing wood finish condition far less than “better than factory fresh” and matches nicely with the metal. The bidding will reflect my opinion.

Darrin

RickC
WACA Guest
January 12, 2022 - 1:58 pm

Darrin Smith said

Actually Jim, I think this is one description that is very accurate. I am seeing wood finish condition far less than “better than factory fresh” and matches nicely with the metal. The bidding will reflect my opinion.

Darrin  

If I still lived in the U.S, I would be bidding on it.

RickC

WACA Member
January 12, 2022 - 2:11 pm

RickC said
Thanks T/R for your replies. So realistically you could order two Fancy sporting rifles & one could have 2x or 3x wood & the other 4x.  

RickC,

I have had only one with 4X and one with 1X. My experience has been 2X is the most common. The wood grade listed on the letter is not common.

Just my opinion. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, Bill Hanzel, TR, KWD57, Zebulon, Chris Scott, Pwog
Guest(s) 199
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323