Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Did 1906 come in wooden case?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 90
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 14, 2020 - 1:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, I bought a 1906 from 1919 this week.  The guy got it from a local estate sale, “in the box”.  Did these ever come in this kind of box, or was it repurposed?  It has foam rubber I pulled for the photos, I know that is newer and has been added.  when I pull it out, there is remnants of a label in center of the lid, nothing readable except “Quality”, and on either side glue remnants that had some kind of fixture or item glued.  The bottom I can’t tell if any fixtures were there.  Thanks.  I posted here too, then found your .22 sub-group: https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/winchester-1906-in-wooden-box/#p92667 

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 119
May 14, 2020 - 5:12 pm

I never saw a wooden boxed 22 since I became interested and look at what is being offered all the time.  That doesn’t mean anything of course.  I’m kind of glad as we’d all be scrambling looking for them.

I would black light the label to see if there are any clues as to what it might have been for.  It does have what looks like hinges for a handle on the latch side so perhaps it was made for some other gun and got hitched up with the Winchester. Maybe a shotgun?

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6367
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 14, 2020 - 8:06 pm

Proportions of the box, especially the depth, look out of scale to me for a diminutive ’06.  Any trace of ghost markings on the bottom that partitions might have left?

But it’s a very nice box, for sure.  Could have been used for instruments, special tools, any no. of other things.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 8
May 19, 2020 - 1:00 pm

Let’s see more pics of the ’06. It certainly looks sweet. Do you think it wears its original wood? Close ups, please.

On the box, I would agree it looks wrong for the rifle… but maybe a *pair*?

No idea, but I’d assume as others have that it is repurposed. Looking at the build of the box (finger-jointed corners, HEAVY/thick frame members, metal fittings with a *lock*) I’d wager that the BOX would’ve cost as much as the ’06. I like entertaining the idea that it is somehow factory, or a special presentation build for some commemorative. Yes, highly unlikely, But I like the thought.

Also, the possibility hasn’t been DIS-proven(!)

Any special markings on the rifle? Odd serial number? Plating? Caliber? Definitely need more pics.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 90
May 20, 2020 - 12:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks, I really liked the box, and even if it didn’t come factory, I think the old timer had it for most of the 100 years of the rifle.  Here are more pics.

1Image Enlarger

1Image Enlarger

3Image Enlarger

4Image Enlarger

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598