Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 144
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 23, 2024 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just received the Winter 2024 Magazine. Can’t wait to dig into it Tonight! Smile

Anthony

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1729
January 24, 2024 - 10:46 am

The articl about late production Model 1886 rifles by Bert was PHENOMENAL!

Does anyone on this forum own any of those uncommon late production rifles in calibers other than .33 WCF, .45-70, .45-90, or .50 Express?

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 24, 2024 - 2:01 pm

mrcvs said
The articl about late production Model 1886 rifles by Bert was PHENOMENAL!

Agreed, Bert and Mark gathered mounds of data and came up with some unexpected (at least for me) results…and presented them very well. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 25, 2024 - 10:54 pm

I want to thank Bert and Mark for their work. The pictures of those late 86 markings is priceless. The detail and size of the pictures make it easy to verify correct markings on that group of guns. Nice guns!  T/R 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
January 26, 2024 - 12:12 am

I loved the ’86 article too Cool

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10862
January 26, 2024 - 12:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Mark & I both thank everyone for the positive feedback & compliments… it was fun and interesting to put it all together and publish it. 

As stated in the article, we are continuing onward with the survey and have now reset our goal to document at least 25% of the final 14,000 Model 1886s manufactured.  We have already received information from several WACA members on new guns that have been added to the survey.  Please keep your eyes open and let us know what you might find at a gun show or auction!

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

North D/FW
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 272
January 26, 2024 - 2:39 am

I know sufficient “kudos” have been shared, but I’d like to thank Bert for this article, as it cleared a few things up for this semi-newbie and made a lot more make sense to me about LW and ELW designations…. I’m really starting to like late 86s…

…as a side note, thanks to all WACA contributors for having good conversation and making this a good learning environment…

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 26, 2024 - 2:58 am

Jeremy P said
I know sufficient “kudos” have been shared, but I’d like to thank Bert for this article, as it cleared a few things up for this semi-newbie and made a lot more make sense to me about LW and ELW designations…. I’m really starting to like late 86s…

…as a side note, thanks to all WACA contributors for having good conversation and making this a good learning environment…

Jeremy-

New or semi-newbie collectors are very important around here, otherwise the last surviving member has to bury all of our guns. Nobody wants to dig that hole. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 144
January 26, 2024 - 1:29 pm

Another great magazine put together in good taste. Great article on the 1886 by Bert and Mark as their commitment to these research projects are appreciated by all of us.Smile

Anthony

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
January 26, 2024 - 2:56 pm

Looking forward to the article also, as I have a late ,#158529 , ’86 , 24″ takedown, 1/2 mag., pistol grip, checkered, fancy stock, crescent butt plate, with a Lyman tang sight20231217_182444.jpgImage Enlarger20231217_182450.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 26, 2024 - 5:31 pm

Henry Mero said
Looking forward to the article also, as I have a late ,#158529 , ’86 , 24″ takedown, 1/2 mag., pistol grip, checkered, fancy stock, crescent butt plate, with a Lyman tang sight20231217_182444.jpgImage Enlarger20231217_182450.jpgImage Enlarger

Henry,

Have you checked the lower tang marking to see if it is “XX” or “XXX” marked.

Your Fancy Sporting rifle is of extra interest because it is apparently a duplicate serial number. 

We already had a rifle with the same serial number documented in the survey, but it is a “Semi-deluxe” Take Down rifle with plain walnut stocks, I-pattern checkering, and a shotgun butt with a hard rubber butt plate. 

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
January 26, 2024 - 6:53 pm

It is marked with one dot as is the butt plate

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 26, 2024 - 7:00 pm

Henry Mero said
It is marked with one dot as is the butt plate

Henry,

Can you send me pictures of the caliber marking on the barrel and the left side of the lower tang (with butt stock removed)?

Bert – [email protected]

North D/FW
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 272
January 26, 2024 - 8:14 pm

TXGunNut said

Jeremy P said

Jeremy-

New or semi-newbie collectors are very important around here, otherwise the last surviving member has to bury all of our guns. Nobody wants to dig that hole. 

Mike

Thanks Mike, that’s a fair point! All in all though, the Winchester collectors and those at the collector’s gun shows (not the general shows) have been great…so often gun and other old crusty folks are not enjoyable to talk to and seem to have zero to little tolerance for learners…at the worst they’re the ones praying on the unknowledgeable, a place we’ve all been at one point.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: JWA, Green River Gus, John Huggins, Michael McMurray
Guest(s) 178
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6397
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263