Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Early .44 WCF third model 1877 bronze mold for sale on eBay
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 346
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 11, 2021 - 5:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I call myself a collector as it sounds better than hoarder

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
December 11, 2021 - 5:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a couple of them but I’m going to put it on my watch list to see what he really gets.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
December 11, 2021 - 6:07 pm

What’s it really worth?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 58
December 11, 2021 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

What ever anyone is willing to pay at the end of the auction.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
December 11, 2021 - 7:39 pm

This isn’t an auction.  It’s an ad.  The starting price and the buy-it-now price is $899.00.  If you bid one time, you own it.  This style of, “auction” doesn’t bring out competition among bidders.  It’s no different than a classified ad.  The advantage is there’s no risk it will sell for less than the owner is willing to let it go for.  The disadvantage is it can’t be bid up, so there is no chance that competition among bidders will drive it up.  It would have been interesting if he had started it at a penny and let it run.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
December 11, 2021 - 8:05 pm

They are worth $300 to $500 depending on condition and caliber. I paid just shy of $500 for a mint 45 colts mold. I see its a buy it now style but when he get no takers it will be reduced or someone will offer him less and it will end.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
December 11, 2021 - 8:35 pm

The brass molds of that style are rare and expensive. The ones that have assembly numbers on them are worth even more. I sold one a year ago in 45-75 and it did not go cheap. These were a bargain 25 years ago at $400. The difference then only a few people knew they were Winchester and rare. When Yearout wrote the loading tool Publication it brought out some of the rare tools. As with all loading tools caliber matters. I sold a 44 in lesser condition  two years ago and it did not bring the price of the 45-75. I don’t know if it was condition or caliber, maybe both. It will sell to someone who wants to display with a gun. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
December 13, 2021 - 4:40 am

TR said
 The brass molds of that style are rare and expensive. The ones that have assembly numbers on them are worth even more. 

The one shown on eBay does have assembly numbers. It has the assembly number “82” on the bottom side of the sprue cutter. There aren’t any pictures of the front side of the mold blocks to tell if there are assembly numbers located on them as well. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there were. Bob and I have one of these molds with assembly numbers in the same locations. The seller obviously doesn’t know this information, or at least didn’t care to mention it on the auction listing. So likely doesn’t know that tidbit of info. 

1873man said
They are worth $300 to $500 depending on condition and caliber. I paid just shy of $500 for a mint 45 colts mold. I see its a buy it now style but when he get no takers it will be reduced or someone will offer him less and it will end.

Bob  

Bob, I think you right on the mark. But also agree its worth whatever it sells for and the list price is Way Way to high in my opinion. I’ve bought both the 1875 Tool with the Brass Mold for under the list price. I’ve also gotten lucky and bought relic molds for as low around $50 bucks.

To me the Buy It Now type auction is not the way to go, but who knows if someone will bite on it. I believe it is more fair to start lower and have open bids and let individual bids drive the final price.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
December 13, 2021 - 4:55 am

Not really a good comparison but modern brass multi-cavity custom moulds are generally about $300. If he re-lists at a reasonable price I may be interested if he can provide more pics. Winchester made some excellent moulds. They produce bullets of very high quality, very close to those produced by moulds made on modern CNC machines. 

Only problem is I don’t own a 44WCF firearm. 

Yet.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, 33wcf, 426crown, clarence, Keydet15, Dave M., Jeremy P
Guest(s) 183
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726