Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
2019 Tulsa Show
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 17, 2019 - 3:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Big Larry,

Just bring you animals, everybody there has their dog with them.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
April 17, 2019 - 4:11 pm

Big Larry said
Yep, 4700 tables. Not the biggest ever, that would be the Great Western in Pomona. 5,800 tables that took up the entire LA County Fairgrounds. You name it, and it was there. Had tables for many years until the County Supervisors took it upon themselves to close it down. Gone, but not forgotten as they say. Big Larry  

Sometimes the Great Western had up to 8,000 tables (7 to 8 buildings).  If I went by myself and walked as fast as I could past everything I didn’t care about you could walk the entire show in about 8 hours.  You couldn’t waste any time doing this.  After awhile you learned where things were in other buildings but spent most of your time in building 4 where most of the antique guns were.  Pomona is only 30 – 45 minutes from my house.

Larry, use the cart…I don’t care for all of the dogs, I love animals but don’t need them at functions like this.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2346
April 18, 2019 - 6:42 pm

Kids either. They get their greasy little paws on your guns if you don’t watch them, as their parents rarely do. There was a yapping dog at a Reno show once, and due to all the complaints, they had to remove the dog. What’s with these people? Do they really think the exhibitors and paying public want to hear those yapping dogs echoing through the building?   Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1584
April 19, 2019 - 2:56 am

I’ll never forget one time at our local gun show in Shreveport, my kid brother being only 5 or 6 years old at the time, got slightly ahead of my father walking in front of us down the aisle. My brother walked right up to a large knife display and grabbed one of the largest bowie knifes I’ve ever seen off its elk antler rack stand. He then proceeded to twirl it around as if he was Conan the Barbarian in a battle to the death. This only went on for less than 30 seconds flat, before my father very calmly asked / removed the bowie knife from his hands. All while the knife dealer who looked to be in his late 80s is literally about to have a heart attack and grabbing his chest while behind his table. We apologized and quickly went on our way. When we got home though, it was a different story. My brother to this day always asks permission before picking up anything off a table.

Nowadays we still get a good laugh out of it. Even though it wasn’t funny at the time. 

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 590
April 19, 2019 - 1:15 pm

Folks,  I was going to let this one go, but finally decided to add my experiences.  Bear in mind I have displayed only in Cody and the NRA convention.  Generally I have had but few issues with either kids or dogs.  Adults that you would think would know better is an entirely different matter!  I have many stories, but will relate only two and make them short.  There was the very well dressed lady who picked up a box of 1895 cartridges, put it near her ear and vigorously shook it to see if there were cartridges inside.  Too quick for me to intervene and I sit just across the aisle from my display.  The other was the father with two kids in tow, who picked up an 1873 with its side plates removed to show its internal works, and promptly proceeded to jack the action vigorously to show his boys how it worked.  And he got angry when I intervened.  The “please do not touch” sign meant absolutely nada.  I’ll take the kids and dogs any time.  Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 590
April 19, 2019 - 3:58 pm

Folks, I also have decided to make a point with positive experiences.  At the Dallas NRA convention last year, I had a young preteen boy who hovered and returned a couple of times.  I approached him, and we had a very good discussion about the 1876’s I was displaying.  He was from foreign born parents of mid eastern origin, as he had a significant and obvious way of speech.  I have no doubt that he was and is a Winchester lever action fan and hope he progresses to collecting in the future.  Then there were the preteen and early teen sisters who showed up, followed later by their father.  Delightful girls and family!  They had been either coached or raised well, as they wished to look at and marvel at the craftsmanship of the Winchesters.  The older said they thought the “modern rifles” looked “Wonky”.  I asked what that meant and only got giggles.  Dad was beaming.  Again, they could well be the future of our collecting fraternity if they are not already a part.  I do hope so!  Lastly, while my personal preference turns to large retrievers, I spent one Cody show with a family including their small, well trained dog behind me.  She was a delight as well.  Like so many dogs, she is gone, but her replacement makes it to Cody each year and is similarly well behaved and trained.  I have yet to have any really significant issues with kids or dogs.  Yes, a small, yappy dog that kept at it would get on my nerves.  Kids, well, they are the future and how we approach them and talk with them can make a difference.  Tim.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 196
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261