Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 .22 WCF
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 29, 2021 - 10:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am new to the forum and checking it out to see if It will work for me and y’all. Recently acquired a 1885 .22 WCF in very good condition w/ a swiss butt plate and a Stevens Aperture model # 625.The value of gun is not as important as the history to me.Were these factory options or addons ? The serial # is 75904 which I believe is 1896.Please feel free to enlighten and or correct my data sincerely Robert

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
April 29, 2021 - 1:44 pm

Hello Robert,

Your Single Shot (low-wall) rifle was received in the warehouse in September, 1896 as a 25-20 S.S. (Single Shot), with a 28-inch half-octagon No. 1 barrel.  It does show an “R&R” (Return & Repair) on June 1st, 1907, work order number 12591.  It is not listed as being assembled with a Swiss butt, but that was a special order option.  The Stevens tang sight is positively aftermarket, and unfortunately, it required an extra hole drilled & tapped in the upper tang to mount in on your low-wall.

My suggestion is to take the forend stock off and inspect the bottom of the barrel for any/all factory stamped markings, and then post a picture (or send it to me) of what you find.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

robert
WACA Guest
April 29, 2021 - 4:44 pm

I must have misnamed the device attached to my 1885.It is in fact a scope like device longer than barrel and receiver.It is made by Stevens Arms &Tool Co No. 626..If I can get a picture out I will sincerely Robert

Kingston, WA
Admin
April 29, 2021 - 4:52 pm

robert said
I must have misnamed the device attached to my 1885.It is in fact a scope like device longer than barrel and receiver.It is made by Stevens Arms &Tool Co No. 626..If I can get a picture out I will sincerely Robert  

The Stevens Telescope you have was positively installed aftermarket.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
April 29, 2021 - 5:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

robert said

Is it one of those that attach to the brl using the front & rear sight slots?  If so, are you sure the marking isn’t 625?  That would make it a short-lived “Winchester Single Shot Telescope,” as it was called in the 1903 cat.  That name was merely a sales gimmick, as it was really only a variant of Stevens’ cheapest scope model, the Favorite.  At this time, Stevens gave different model nos to the same scope applied to different rifles, a ridiculous practice abandoned after a few yrs.

Don’t know what you mean by “aperture device.”  Have the lenses been removed?

robert
WACA Guest
April 29, 2021 - 5:36 pm

It is in fact No.625 my young wife informed me.When I get more skills I will attach photos.I only have a HS Diploma and I’m not mad about it.Thank Y’all for the input sincerely Robert

NY
WACA Member
April 29, 2021 - 6:07 pm

robert said
It is in fact No.625 my young wife informed me.When I get more skills I will attach photos.I only have a HS Diploma and I’m not mad about it.Thank Y’all for the input sincerely Robert  

Robert, if it’s a 625, there’s no doubt about what it is & photos aren’t essential–which you’ll have trouble posting here without an advanced technical degree.

I’m still curious as to why you called it an “aperture,” & not a scope, unless the lenses were removed.

robert
WACA Guest
April 29, 2021 - 6:56 pm

As I said was trying to use a word bigger than me (aperture) .It is in fact a No.625 scope made by J.Stevens Arms &Tools Co.Could have been added when it was worked on in in 1907 as noted by Bert H.None the less it is a very interesting relic and have read this cartridge became the .22 Hornet at some point. Whatever you can add will be much appreciated.

NY
WACA Member
April 30, 2021 - 4:05 pm

robert said
None the less it is a very interesting relic and have read this cartridge became the .22 Hornet at some point. Whatever you can add will be much appreciated.  

Very interesting!  Being the least expensive in Stevens line, this style of scope sold well, though survival rate is quite low, as these long tube scopes were more easily damaged than the shorter & more expensive ones.  But that specific model no. intended for the SS has to be rare; not even Bert has one!

How are the optics?  Would expect lenses to be dirty, but is the cross-wire intact?  I have the same type mounted on a Stevens, & in good light, it’s remarkable clear & sharp.

22 WCF didn’t exactly “become” the Hornet, but it’s fair to say it inspired the Hornet. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
April 30, 2021 - 5:19 pm

22 WCF didn’t exactly “become” the Hornet, but it’s fair to say it inspired the Hornet.   

There is so little difference that all you have to do is fire form the Hornet brass and then have fun shooting.  The difference of the OAL of the brass is so insignificant that you really don’t need to trim it. You do have to expand the neck.  I used a tapered punch to get the bullet started. 18 months later my dies arrived.

robert
WACA Guest
May 1, 2021 - 1:05 am

The optics are pretty clear and cross-wire is intact.Looking forward to squeezing on it once I get ammo.Which are in fact made using a .22 hornet case so I am told. Think it will be a good shooter though ?

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 1, 2021 - 1:42 am

robert said
The optics are pretty clear and cross-wire is intact.Looking forward to squeezing on it once I get ammo.Which are in fact made using a .22 hornet case so I am told. Think it will be a good shooter though ?  

How well it shoots will depend on several factors;

1. Bore & muzzle condition

2. Specific bullet diameter you choose to load it with

3. The loose screw (you) behind the trigger (this is typically what causes inaccuracy in my Single Shot rifles)Frown

NY
WACA Member
May 1, 2021 - 2:38 am

robert said

The bullets, not the case, are the major problem–the bore dia. is .228, for which factory bullets aren’t available, I don’t think.    

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 1, 2021 - 12:23 pm

clarence said

The bullets, not the case, are the major problem–the bore dia. is .228, for which factory bullets aren’t available, I don’t think.      

I did not know that.  I’ve been following .227/.228 bullets for many decades.  I am a .22HP Savage owner.  My uncle was too.  I recall he had a large batch of .228 jacketed bullets made up.  At the time, Hornady was still making a .227 bullet but my uncle wanted .228.  I recall over the years, various smaller bullet companies made .228 bullets.  I don’t know if any are still around.  Also, there is the option of casting your own.  I suspect some of the smaller lead bullet makers offer .228 as well.  By the way, it’s not uncommon to find boxes of Hornady .227 bullets at gunshows.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
May 1, 2021 - 9:29 pm

I buy my cast bullets from the Bull Shop in Dell, Montana.  You can get a 100 bullets for less than $25 if I remember right.  I did get the 22 HP decapping rod and expander to use on the Hornet brass.  Never looked for HP factory bullets.  What weight are these?

robert
WACA Guest
May 1, 2021 - 9:40 pm

Got a line on some 60gr. jacketed .228 dia @ Buffalo Arms 100 For 30.09 # BAC22860.Not a reloader yet.The price of Ammo and parts is crazy so for now Just gonna put anti itch on my trigger finger. 

WACA Member
May 1, 2021 - 9:47 pm

Chuck said
I buy my cast bullets from the Bull Shop in Dell, Montana.  You can get a 100 bullets for less than $25 if I remember right.  I did get the 22 HP decapping rod and expander to use on the Hornet brass.  Never looked for HP factory bullets.  What weight are these?  

The Hornady ones were 70 grains.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
May 1, 2021 - 11:10 pm

Here’s My claim to 1885 fame20210501_190736.jpgImage Enlarger20210501_190745.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
May 2, 2021 - 12:58 am

Henry Mero said
Here’s My claim to 1885 fame20210501_190736.jpgImage Enlarger20210501_190745.jpgImage Enlarger  

Henry –  that is amazing.  I can recall seeing one of these in .44WCF… and I think one in .32-20.  But .22 WCF – that’s darn special.  So, your card indicates five were made with a 15 inch barrel in .22 WCF.  Thanks for sharing!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
May 2, 2021 - 1:25 am

That’s My understanding

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected]
Guest(s) 187
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261