Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 .22 WCF
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 2, 2021 - 1:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

steve004 said

Henry –  that is amazing.  I can recall seeing one of these in .44WCF… and I think one in .32-20.  But .22 WCF – that’s darn special.  So, your card indicates five were made with a 15 inch barrel in .22 WCF.  Thanks for sharing!  

That is information I provided to both Rob Kassab (he also has one), and to Henry.  two of the five are in the CFM collection (in the Highly Embellished) display.

In regards to the Lightweight Single Shot Carbine (that is how Winchester cataloged them), I have identified (388) that are in the letterable S/N range.  There were undoubtedly a small number that made after S/N 109999 (I found one, S/N 112450 in Australia).  Of the (389) I have documented, the following is the caliber breakdown;

1. 44 WCF (standard) = 340

2. 32 WCF = 39

3. 38 WCF = 5 (only one still exists, as (4) were returned and rebarreled)

4. 22 WCF = 5 (the whereabouts of four of them are known).

Most of them were manufactured with sling rings, but towards the end of production, the stud & ring were omitted.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
May 2, 2021 - 4:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

steve004 said

The Hornady ones were 70 grains.  

That is way to heavy for the 85 to stabilize.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 2, 2021 - 10:26 pm

Chuck said

steve004 said

The Hornady ones were 70 grains.  

That is way to heavy for the 85 to stabilize.  

These sound like a better option:

Got a line on some 60gr. jacketed .228 dia @ Buffalo Arms 100 For 30.09 # BAC22860.Not a reloader yet.The price of Ammo and parts is crazy so for now Just gonna put anti itch on my trigger finger. 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6382
May 2, 2021 - 11:03 pm

steve004 said
 Just gonna put anti itch on my trigger finger.   

If every shooter did that, the panic would die out, & prices would fall.  But why lower prices when the hoarders stand in line to pay whatever you ask?

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
May 3, 2021 - 2:54 am

clarence said

If every shooter did that, the panic would die out, & prices would fall.  But why lower prices when the hoarders stand in line to pay whatever you ask?  

I don’t consider hoarders “shooters”. They are speculating on a commodity and will only profit if someone pays their inflated prices. This won’t end as long as someone is buying from them. Personally I hope they have pallets of ammo stacked up next to their toilet paper stash when the bottom falls out.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 3, 2021 - 5:32 pm

The 22 WCF uses a 45 grain bullet.  You can try a 60 grain and it might work?  Let me know.  I would like to try a jacketed bullet.

Since I shoot every week I have become a hoarder.  It started about ten years ago.  Too bad I didn’t plan well enough for this one.  Everything is in short supply.  I found I didn’t hoard enough primers for my target rifle and didn’t have a second barrel in stock.  I did have to pay an inflated price for 15,000 primers.  I now have enough for 2 years and so do my shooting buddies.  Didn’t make any money on the sales but I did get some of my money back and I have friends who can shoot too.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6382
May 3, 2021 - 7:20 pm

Chuck said

Since I shoot every week I have become a hoarder.

Those buying to shoot aren’t hoarders.  Those buying to resell, or even just to pile up with no intention of using, the way a miser hides money he doesn’t intend to spend, are the hoarders.

I wonder what serious RF competitors, who have to shoot hundreds of practice rounds a wk to retain their edge, are doing?  Getting special prices on large quantities direct from the maker?  

I shoot almost every day it’s not raining or too cloudy, normally 1 box of 50/day, but weeks ago I cut that to 25–hardly worth the time of driving to my range, but it’s clear the panic isn’t even close to ending.

Robert
WACA Guest
May 23, 2021 - 5:03 pm

I just got back from a western swing and wanted to stop at The Buffalo Bill Center Museum in Cody.My next trip will be in a month or two.Is it a daylong visit there and what is the most spectacular part.I know it’s a personal choice.I did get ammo for my 1885 .22 WCF am hoping the lead is .228 am told that shoots best

WACA Member
May 26, 2021 - 5:00 pm

Robert said
I just got back from a western swing and wanted to stop at The Buffalo Bill Center Museum in Cody.My next trip will be in a month or two.Is it a daylong visit there and what is the most spectacular part.I know it’s a personal choice.I did get ammo for my 1885 .22 WCF am hoping the lead is .228 am told that shoots best  

A visit to the museum can be a 2 day venture.  Your omission price is good for 2 days.  I have not been there since the re model.  The first time I went I was most surprised by the Indian wear.  So beautiful. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
May 27, 2021 - 2:43 am

Chuck said

A visit to the museum can be a 2 day venture.  Your omission price is good for 2 days.  I have not been there since the re model.  The first time I went I was most surprised by the Indian wear.  So beautiful.   

Agreed. The CFM alone is tough to cover in one day. The other museums in the complex are worth a look and I always take a break to take in a show involving the birds in the Draper Museum. The problem I have with the CFM is that something I see on day one sticks in my mind and I want to research it a bit and go back for another look. If you try to see it in half a day you’ll be planning your next trip before you leave the parking lot.

I haven’t been since the remodel, cant wait to see how it turned out.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, Tom D
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323