Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Cased Pair of Original Winchester Model 1886 Rifles Coming to Auction in CO
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 7, 2020 - 9:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I would have to pick these up before I bid, especially the first one.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
October 7, 2020 - 9:53 pm

The first one looks like a Turnbull gun but the pictures are poor.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
October 7, 2020 - 11:34 pm

Your right chuck, I would have to see it in person to tell.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
October 8, 2020 - 1:39 am

I also would have to see these in person, appear to be refinished to me, but I could be wrong.

In this case, a “pair” should mean that the auction house happens to have a “pair” of Winchester 1886’s coming up for auction, two out of 159,994 manufactured.  This being a cased pair ads NO value to the two, and they should be valued individually as it is not as if the two coming up at auction are consecutive serial numbers or even a few serial numbers apart, or even a few hundred serial numbers apart.  These were produced FOUR years apart and someone decided to make a “pair” of these, but these, for obvious reasons, should be valued individually and not collectively.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
October 8, 2020 - 4:59 pm

mrcvs said
I also would have to see these in person, appear to be refinished to me, but I could be wrong.

In this case, a “pair” should mean that the auction house happens to have a “pair” of Winchester 1886’s coming up for auction, two out of 159,994 manufactured.  This being a cased pair ads NO value to the two, and they should be valued individually as it is not as if the two coming up at auction are consecutive serial numbers or even a few serial numbers apart, or even a few hundred serial numbers apart.  These were produced FOUR years apart and someone decided to make a “pair” of these, but these, for obvious reasons, should be valued individually and not collectively.  

Yeah I think “Modern Pairing” or a “Modern Cased Pair” or something else would be appropriate to describe them. As nothing about the case or them being “Paired Up” has anything to do with the factory.

If we’re going that route, I’ve got some “Triplets” I’ll sell you as well.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4161
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 9, 2020 - 1:12 am

mrcvs said

I don’t disagree, but we see this kind of hype often enough.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
October 10, 2020 - 2:09 am

Well, the case is pretty nice. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
RickC
WACA Guest
October 12, 2020 - 10:24 am

There’s no significance or story behind them to sell as a pair. Not everyone can afford or bid & buy both, & maybe don’t want both. I think the case could sell easily on its own also & they would get a better hammer price for all three individually.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4161
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 12, 2020 - 2:28 pm

RickC(AG) said
There’s no significance or story behind them to sell as a pair. Not everyone can afford or bid & buy both, & maybe don’t want both. I think the case could sell easily on its own also & they would get a better hammer price for all three individually.

RickC  

I agree.  It’s a gimmick.  The crowd that hangs out here is prone to see through gimmicks quickly.  This statement does not describe all those who bid and buy guns.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291