Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
First Model 1873 original sight?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 20, 2018 - 3:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Elliot A said

Also, I have included a sporting sight that I purchased, purported to be original, but never used.  It is the German Silver.  After receiving it, looks too good to be original, even unused, but I could be fooled.  Please look it over, thanks, Elliot 

The top of the blade makes me think it is a modern repo.  All the originals I’ve handle have a slight taper towards the top. 

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 20, 2018 - 4:36 pm

The rear sight elevator has a 1901 Pat. Date on it.  Can’t be for any antique Winchester.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 67
March 21, 2018 - 3:38 am

Gentlemen, thanks for the input.  I thought it was just too good!  The auction pictures showed it more ‘worn’, and dirty.  When it arrived, it was much better than appeared in the auction.  All this started with my search for the 1890 Solid Frame, front sight.  I could use one of these 73/76 sporting sights, without screw, but I guess the search goes on, thanks again, Elliot

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
March 22, 2018 - 4:47 am

Everyone,

I’m sure some of you maybe aware of this, but for those that are not. I have seen Reproduction 1st Model sights, I’ve even seen the early reversed sight 1st Model sight reproduced for sale on Ebay, just like the ones yall are discussing on this thread. The seller even had them in the white or already blued. I thought I saved some photos of them but can’t find them. I even bought one, but will have to check to see where i put it at.

They were from the same seller that made these reproduction dust covers.

bottom.jpgImage Enlargertop.jpgImage Enlargerbottom-1.jpgImage Enlargertop-1.jpgImage Enlarger

The Ebay sellers name was MrTomHorn at that time, don’t know if it still is, you can change your Ebay name easily. These were sold in 2011.

P.S. I’ll have to see if I can find my Repo Reversed 1st Model Sight, so we can determine any differences from the originals.

This doesn’t surprise me much, everything else is already being reproduced. You can get a new barrel practically almost any time you want.

Sincerely,

Maverick

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Bill Hockett, mrcvs, Jim McKee, TR, freebird1968
Guest(s) 176
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057