Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
50-3 1/4" or 50-140 Winchester Express
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 490
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 26, 2022 - 3:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Not a Winchester rifle, but a Winchester cartridge.  There’s lots of conflicting information out there about the 50-140.  As near as I can tell, Winchester introduced this round at about the time the Sharps Rifle Company folded.  It’s believed that no original Sharps rifles were chambered in this caliber but were used in the Sharps-Borchardt rifles.  I believe there were a few Highwalls chambered in this caliber as well.  Maybe Bert can chime in with more info on that subject.

While it was an interesting rifle to shoot, I won’t be in a hurry to take it plinking anytime soon.Confused Mark

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4560
June 26, 2022 - 4:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

What a gun!!!

I looked in the latest Sharps book, Sharps Firearms Vol III on target models by Roy Marcot and other Sharps collectors and the 50-140 is not listed.  I’m sure this would not have been a target caliber.  I do not have Vol II that is on early cartridge guns.  Vol I is percussion guns. 

If anyone is interested, Vol I and III can be found online for sale.  Vol II is very hard to find.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4964
June 26, 2022 - 5:20 pm

You’re a brave man, Mark. Doesn’t take long to get all we want with those heavy hitters. Looking forward to seeing you and your projects in Cody!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
June 26, 2022 - 6:59 pm

Mark Douglas said
Not a Winchester rifle, but a Winchester cartridge.  There’s lots of conflicting information out there about the 50-140.  As near as I can tell, Winchester introduced this round at about the time the Sharps Rifle Company folded.  It’s believed that no original Sharps rifles were chambered in this caliber but were used in the Sharps-Borchardt rifles.  I believe there were a few Highwalls chambered in this caliber as well.  Maybe Bert can chime in with more info on that subject.

While it was an interesting rifle to shoot, I won’t be in a hurry to take it plinking anytime soon.Confused Mark

I have to admit that your video showing you shooting that rifle elicited several evil chuckles… you are a braver man than I am!!

In answer to your question, Winchester manufactured just (2) high-wall rifles chambered for the Sharps 50 3-1/4 cartridge.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 134
June 26, 2022 - 7:37 pm

Wow what a Heavy Recoil . It looked like you were dropping the block before putting the hammer on Half Cock . I was always taught that a Sharps should be placed on Half Cock  so the block does not drag against the firing pin damaging it . If you were putting it on Half Cock before dropping the block and I heard the clicks wrong , then sorry my mistake .  I really do like your video’s , Keep them coming .     

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
June 26, 2022 - 11:12 pm

I also greatly enjoyed the video.  You’re a brave man, Mark.  Were it me, I would have put my strap-on PAST shoulder pad along with an inch thick slip-on rubber pad I have for rifles (that recoil less than what you are shooting).  I admit that filming me shooting it, outfitted as I described, would have damaged the manliness ambiance substantially Embarassed

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6278
TXGunNut: 4964
Chuck: 4560
1873man: 4277
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2289