Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester model 1873 Question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 17, 2020 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Factory black powder loads for rifles were around 1,300 FPS.  Pistols about 800 to 900 FPS.

Again depending upon the condition of your rifle, somewhere in between these numbers.

If you are just wanting to punch paper or hit steel stay below the higher number.  I did find another occasion where I chronographed some unknown cowboy loads at 850 FPS.

I can’t find the data for the loads I shoot.  Haven’t loaded this cartridge for some time.  I’ll look through the boxes and see if I can find out what I did.

RickC
WACA Guest
September 17, 2020 - 7:09 pm

1873man said
Factory loads were about 1245 fps with black powder and around 1300 with smokeless. I would have to shoot some of the Remington over a chronograph to see what its doing.

Bob  

Now that’s why I’m on this forum. I would love to know Bob if you get a chance some day to do that.

RickC

RickC
WACA Guest
September 17, 2020 - 7:12 pm

Chuck said
Factory black powder loads for rifles were around 1,300 FPS.  Pistols about 800 to 900 FPS.

Again depending upon the condition of your rifle, somewhere in between these numbers.

If you are just wanting to punch paper or hit steel stay below the higher number.  I did find another occasion where I chronographed some unknown cowboy loads at 850 FPS.

I can’t find the data for the loads I shoot.  Haven’t loaded this cartridge for some time.  I’ll look through the boxes and see if I can find out what I did.  

Thanks also Chuck. I just want to punch some paper to say I shot a 73 & just want safe loads not stopping power. Appreciate the replies y’all.

RickC

WACA Member
September 17, 2020 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Winchester’s website says their 200 gr power point cartridges are listed at 1190 FPS.  I bet other major manufacturers will be near the same.  Most Cowboy loads will be around 800 FPS.  Black Hills says 800 FPS.

RickC
WACA Guest
September 17, 2020 - 8:11 pm

Chuck said
Winchester’s website says their 200 gr power point cartridges are listed at 1190 FPS.

Do you think that’s ok or maybe pistol rounds for my intentions ?

RickC

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 18, 2020 - 3:26 am

I just took my open top off the wall and shot it in the basement over the chronograph with the Remington 44-40’s and got 982 fps

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

RickC
WACA Guest
September 18, 2020 - 8:22 am

1873man said
I just took my open top off the wall and shot it in the basement over the chronograph with the Remington 44-40’s and got 982 fps

Bob  

Awesome thanks Bob. This ammo will be my choice as well. Appreciated.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
September 18, 2020 - 1:43 pm

1873man said

Bob  

Very cool.  I’d love to be able to do something like that in my basement.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 2:01 pm

I bought a bullet trap from a guy that had two of them he got from a indoor shooting range going out of business.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 2:33 pm

1873man said
I bought a bullet trap from a guy that had two of them he got from a indoor shooting range going out of business.

Bob  

Again, very cool.  Do you live outside of a city?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 3:22 pm

steve004 said

Again, very cool.  Do you live outside of a city?  

Yep, I would never live in town. Too many rules!!! Neighbors telling you when and how tall to cut your grass. I don’t need a leash for my dog and I don’t pickup after him. :horsepoop:

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 4:02 pm

1873man said

Yep, I would never live in town. Too many rules!!! Neighbors telling you when and how tall to cut your grass. I don’t need a leash for my dog and I don’t pickup after him. :horsepoop:

Bob  

GREEN with envy here.  I live right in town.  Neighbors all around me.  I live on a fairly busy street.  We’re not set back that far from the street and even less so from the sidewalk.  Just going to the range is a concern as there can be prying eyes as I carry the gun cases from my door to the car.  And then when I go to the range, it’s often crowded.  There’s a range master barking all the time and people blazing away with high capacity black rifles.  Often these rifles have compensators on them – which of course focuses the blast to the side (i.e. the guy sitting next to them).  And, these guys seem to have an endless amount of ammunition and they want to use it up as fast as they can.  One time, I had a guy on each side shooting high capacity .308 rifles with compensators on them.  It’s not uncommon to get peppered with hot brass.  However, I will note they had a rule change at the range and all semi-auto’s need to have a brass catcher attached.  Bob – I’ll bet my description of my situation here makes you really appreciate what you have.

WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 6:08 pm

Rick, one thing you have to understand is that any cartridge shot through a pistol barrel will have way less FPS than the same cartridge shot through a rifle barrel.  I size my 45-90’s to cycle through my 86 but also shoot them through my high wall.  The 85 has a couple inch longer barrel so the FPS is higher by 100 FPS.

I live in a residential neighborhood and have shot into the ground in by backyard.  I have many times set up a backstop and shot in my garage.  I am not recommending this.  Usually it is just one shot and nothing high powered.

I have a long range bolt action target gun with a compensator.  I know the ill effects at the range.  We have removable screens to deflect the rounds and we can hang something like a towel on the screen to block the blast.  These guns will sometimes set off my chronograph too.  When people at the range are rude we show them how to be polite.

RickC
WACA Guest
September 18, 2020 - 6:40 pm

Good info Chuck & yes to teaching proper manners & respect.

RickC

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
September 18, 2020 - 8:15 pm

1873man said

Bob  

Got carried away using a bullet trap indoors once, neighbors didn’t complain but the smoke alarm certainly did.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 8:53 pm

TXGunNut said

Got carried away using a bullet trap indoors once, neighbors didn’t complain but the smoke alarm certainly did.

Mike  

Were you shooting black powder?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 8:54 pm

I have a 1/2 basement on the side I have the trap so I open a window with a fan running. I can shoot 20 yards in the basement or I have 225 yards outside.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 8:56 pm

1873man said
I have a 1/2 basement on the side I have the trap so I open a window with a fan running. I can shoot 20 yards in the basement or I have 225 yards outside.

Bob  

That really sounds ideal.  I would love to be able to step outside my house and be able to shoot up to 225 yards.  The indoor option would be great in the winter.

RickC
WACA Guest
September 21, 2020 - 10:28 pm

I wonder if the Winchester brand 44-40 ammo offered today for the miruku guns is safe to shoot in the original 73 rifles ?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
September 22, 2020 - 1:08 am

I have been shooting my 1873’s for 25 years smokeless without any problems. I hand load 200gr cast at 1100 fps and jacketed 200gr at 1250. This included first, second, third models, carbines, muskets, rifles, even one rifle made in 1874. Some were really nice and some were rusted and beat. This is not a recommendation, this is what I do. You do what you feel is right for you. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., 1873man, antler1, deerhunter, clarence, Aussie Chris, 86Win
Guest(s) 147
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710