Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Winchester M1876 one of one-thousand coming up for auction
May 23, 2020
3:03 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 963
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_A__VERY_INTRIGUING_WINCHESTER_1876__ONE_OF_ONE_TH-LOT479775.aspx

To me, it looks right.  My opinion (based on photos only and what I can see) is that it is authentic.  This ties into our other thread discussing the value of a factory letter. I do find it relevant that there are other known M1876's that are known to be authentic - but their markings are also not recorded in the ledger.  This reminds me of many factory engraved Winchesters (and Marlins) where the engraving is not mentioned in the ledger.  Why, perhaps the most important feature of the rifle, would not be recorded in the factory ledger is beyond me.  I would truly like to know if there is a non-random explanation.  

So, other's opinions on whether this is an authentic 1 of 1000?

Opinions on how much less it will bring due to the markings not recorded in the ledger?

I also find it interesting that this rifle was used heavily.  Aside from the markings, this rifle surely has many interesting stories to tell.

May 23, 2020
7:07 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1584

Steve you will have to believe in the Story on this one.  This gun looks real to me but like the description says there are a number of curious things about this gun.  The Factory ledgers note 1 of 1000 on at least the first 10 or so guns.  I have not seen any other ledgers to account for the other 40 guns and how the ledgers show them.  According to the Factory ledgers no 1876 One of One Thousand was noted passed Serial #10096.  If you want to know more buy Ed Lewis' book on the 1 of 100's and 1 of 1000's or Herbert Houze's book on the 76's.  There were some guns made like 1 of 1000 but they didn't say 1 of 1000 on the guns. 

May 23, 2020
8:13 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1547

The most interesting thing to me is the estimate of the new auction listing. The gun sold at a 2011 Julia Auction for over $80,000.00.

And the new estimate is $60,000.00 on the high end. Somebody's losing some dough ray me!

I'd love to see the whole gun disassembled, as that might tell one more needed information. It'd be nice to know if the stocks have numbers on them. Also a closer look at the barrel would be warranted.

But I'd say from all outward appearances that the barrel looks like it is a genuine engraving. So what you likely have, was a original 1876-1877 made rifle that was a 1of1000 and took a hell of a roll from horse back in 1883 (or whenever), breaks the receiver at the top and bottom tangs, and needs a whole new receiver to replace / fix the gun into working order by the local gunsmith.

This scenario is no crazier or far fetched than that of the 1of1000 that had its barrel shortened on the receiver end by a period gunsmith, which is shown in the Lewis book.

Sincerely,

Maverick 

ToolArray-SignatureLowRes-4.jpg

WACA #8783 - Checkout my Reloading Tool Survey!

May 23, 2020
11:27 pm
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4297

The rear barrel sight was changed as well. It had a longer sight covering part of the engraving and the factory sighting mark does not match to the front of the rear sight, it has a gap. It should be right at the point of the sight.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: bob.1873man@gmail.com

May 24, 2020
12:47 am
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 442

1873man said
The rear barrel sight was changed as well. It had a longer sight covering part of the engraving and the factory sighting mark does not match to the front of the rear sight, it has a gap. It should be right at the point of the sight.

Bob  

See, I'm a larn'n.  I never heard of a factory sighting mark but in comparing this gun to the 50-59 in the other thread, I see that little tick mark in front of the point and see what you are talking about.  I'll have to keep an eye out on other models to see if they all have them (or just some?).

May 24, 2020
1:39 am
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4297

73's will have them if factory sighted. If the rear has it the front will have it. If the front sight is a rocky mountain and is sighted the tick mark will be at the very front of it and when someone replaces it with a 21 sight you wonder why there is a tick mark way out in front.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: bob.1873man@gmail.com

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 628

Currently Online: 1ned1, pdog72, mrcvs, hokie, rogertherelic
62 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)