Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester .32-40 Single Shot Rifle from 1888
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1729
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 8, 2023 - 3:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

IMG_1969-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1968-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1970-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1971-1.jpegImage EnlargerI’ve discussed this rifle in bits & pieces in other threads, but hadn’t gotten around to photographing it until today.  R & R letter, doesn’t match the current configuration of 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel, single set trigger.  Does letter with sights and I’m aware the front sight should fold down forwards.

Yet another example of the honest rifles I used to buy when money was tight and before big name auction houses pushed ultra high condition rifles—even if that ultra high condition rifle is a clever refinish.

Shipped 135 years ago on Monday.  This rifle is one of my favorites and has brought me great pleasure the 30 years now I’ve been its proud caretaker.

IMG_1977.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1980.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1983.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6405
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 8, 2023 - 3:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

mrcvs said
Yet another example of the honest rifles I used to buy when money was tight and before big name auction houses pushed ultra high condition rifles—even if that ultra high condition rifle is a clever refinish.

I’d be quite happy with this cond.

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 4:00 am

clarence said

mrcvs said

I’d be quite happy with this cond.

Amen!  More condition than those 100% condition rifles touted by auction houses.  100% faked and refinished, but they fail to disclose that.

WACA Member
March 17, 2024 - 6:21 pm

I am thinking of maybe offering this rifle for sale, simply because I’m a bit of a purist and the letter does not match this rifle in that the letter states that this rifle should have an octagon barrel and it has a part round part octagon barrel.  Also, the letter does not mention the single set trigger.

I would think the Mid Range tang sight alone would be worth about $750 these days.

So, IF I was to sell this rifle these days, what would be the best venue for it and what might be the expected selling price for it, if at auction, or what should I ask for it if a private sale, maybe somewhere like the Baltimore Show next year?

Selling this is a big IF.  This might be one of those rifles that brings me more pleasure owning than its dollar figure.  We shall see.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10865
March 17, 2024 - 6:34 pm

What is the s/n on this rifle?

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 236
March 17, 2024 - 6:41 pm

My 22 single shot has single set trigger which does not letter but has CF on tang like yours. Don

WACA Member
March 17, 2024 - 7:02 pm

Bert H. said

NY
WACA Guest
March 17, 2024 - 7:02 pm

mrcvs said
So, IF I was to sell this rifle these days, what would be the best venue for it and what might be the expected selling price for it, if at auction, or what should I ask for it if a private sale, maybe somewhere like the Baltimore Show next year?

So it’s BETTER than the letter description, & you don’t like it!   I’d tear up the letter & KEEP the rifle!  You’re lucky to be able to attend Baltimore, & doubly lucky if you know someone with a table who’d allow you to set it out.  If you merely walk around with it, you’ll be relentlessly pestered by dealers offering you a quarter of its worth.

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 17, 2024 - 7:06 pm

86Win said
My 22 single shot has single set trigger which does not letter but has CF on tang like yours. Don

Single set triggers were sometimes overlooked when the serial numbers were recorded in the factory ledger records.  A set trigger on a Single Shot rifle was standard for some of the variations, and special order on others.  In my research survey of the factory records, nearly 17% of all Single Shot rifles were factory equipped with a set trigger.

Bert

WACA Member
March 17, 2024 - 7:07 pm

clarence said

mrcvs said

So it’s BETTER than the letter description, & you don’t like it!   I’d tear up the letter & KEEP the rifle!  You’re lucky to be able to attend Baltimore, & doubly lucky if you know someone with a table who’d allow you to set it out.  If you merely walk around with it, you’ll be relentlessly pestered by dealers offering you a quarter of its worth.  

It’s better than the letter, but that’s a problem and hurts the value significantly as it doesn’t match the letter and the barrel is likely a later replacement.

I would have to just walk around with it at the Baltimore show.

I bring up the Baltimore show as it was this weekend.  I haven’t attended in a long time as I have heard it isn’t the same since Covid.  Any thoughts on that?

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 17, 2024 - 7:14 pm

mrcvs said

Bert H. said

Is the 1/2 octagon barrel 26-inches or is it longer?  The fact that it was returned to Winchester in September 1892 indicates that it was most likely reworked to its present configuration.

Can you add a clear picture of the Winchester roll marking on the barrel?  With it, I can most likely determine if it is original or a later replacement.

WACA Member
March 17, 2024 - 7:24 pm

Bert H. said

mrcvs said

Bert H. said

Is the 1/2 octagon barrel 26-inches or is it longer?  The fact that it was returned to Winchester in September 1892 indicates that it was most likely reworked to its present configuration.

Can you add a clear picture of the Winchester roll marking on the barrel?  With it, I can most likely determine if it is original or a later replacement.

It’s 28”.

Here is the roll marking.

image.jpgImage Enlarger

NY
WACA Guest
March 17, 2024 - 7:25 pm

mrcvs said

I bring up the Baltimore show as it was this weekend.  I haven’t attended in a long time as I have heard it isn’t the same since Covid.  Any thoughts on that? 

Still best on East Coast.  If some of the mob that formerly lined up for 100 yds outside the door have gone elsewhere, that makes it better.

If I had the money to buy that rifle, the discrepancy in the letter wouldn’t phase me in the least.

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 17, 2024 - 7:27 pm

Take the forend stock off and remove the flat-spring, then take pictures of all the markings you find stamped on the underside of the barrel.

WACA Member
March 17, 2024 - 7:33 pm

Bert H. said
Take the forend stock off and remove the flat-spring, then take pictures of all the markings you find stamped on the underside of the barrel. 

There was another thread on this rifle and I didn’t realize this. 

Edit:  Here are the photographs from last time.

IMG_1988.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1989.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1990.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1991.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1993.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1994.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1995.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1996.jpegImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 17, 2024 - 8:40 pm

Can you reshoot the pictures… also, remove the flat-spring before taking the new pictures.

NY
WACA Guest
March 17, 2024 - 8:52 pm

mrcvs said Edit:  Here are the photographs from last time.

What I don’t see is the “OF” mark, indicating brl replacement outside the factory.  Otherwise, a factory-replaced brl adds to the history of the gun, shows it belonged to a thoughtful shooter who returned it to make it better, for him.  For ex, the half-round brl probably handles a little better than the full oct.  Why would this added history detract from the gun’s value?  The new brl might have been fitted by the same assembler who attached the first one.  I like it.

WACA Member
March 17, 2024 - 9:00 pm

Bert H. said
Can you reshoot the pictures… also, remove the flat-spring before taking the new pictures. 

Here’s the original thread.  It wasn’t as easy to find as I hoped.

I think the conclusion is the barrel was replaced.

As such, what should I value this rifle at IF I offer it for sake?

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/on-the-subject-of-returned-and-repaired-letters-heres-one-for-a-model-1885/page-2/ 

WACA Member
March 18, 2024 - 1:19 am

So, what is the conclusion as to the best venue to sell this at and what I should ask for it or what it might bring at auction?

IF I should wish to sell this.  It’s debatable whether to sell as it doesn’t meet my strict criteria or to keep as I might be its greatest admirer.

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 18, 2024 - 1:41 am

mrcvs said
So, what is the conclusion as to the best venue to sell this at and what I should ask for it or what it might bring at auction?

IF I should wish to sell this.  It’s debatable whether to sell as it doesn’t meet my strict criteria or to keep as I might be its greatest admirer.

Put it on Gunbroker and let it sell for whatever the bidders decide it is worth.  I suspect that will sell for something in the $3K – $4K range.

Bert

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, cj57, 33wcf, antler1, clarence, Randycrockett, patrick_ford
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6405
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4606
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4267
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2310
mrcvs: 1729