Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester .32-40 Single Shot Rifle from 1888
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1729
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 18, 2024 - 2:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said

mrcvs said

So, what is the conclusion as to the best venue to sell this at and what I should ask for it or what it might bring at auction?

IF I should wish to sell this.  It’s debatable whether to sell as it doesn’t meet my strict criteria or to keep as I might be its greatest admirer.

Put it on Gunbroker and let it sell for whatever the bidders decide it is worth.  I suspect that it will sell for something in the $3K – $4K range.

Bert

Thank you Bert!  Given it’s not 100% correct, I might consider that.  I appreciate this rifle and have to decide whether pride of ownership means more to me or not.

I valued it at $3500, before I even brought this up today.  So your assessment of $3000 to $4000 is about right.

I ask this as I shopped around at a couple of auction houses and they gave me pre auction estimates of dismal amounts $1 to 2k!  For that amount, I enjoy owning it much more than that.

Hiw does it work on Gunbroker with a seller such as I and a penny start with few transactions and the inability to accept credit cards?  IF I sell it, I want to be in the range where I enjoy the cash more than owning it.  That’s probably $3000 or so.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6399
March 18, 2024 - 3:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

mrcvs said Hiw does it work on Gunbroker with a seller such as I and a penny start with few transactions and the inability to accept credit cards?

Not a deterrent, I don’t think, to anyone who likes your gun; I’ve never paid with anything but a US MO.  Remember GB takes its cut of the sale, so before you go that route, might as well try your luck at Baltimore if you’re not too far away, but if you do that put a clearly visible $3500 price tag on it to discourage the gyps who’ll offer you a thou or less.  Have you ever done this before?  VERY uncomfortable to be walking around for hrs with the gun in your hands; using a cheap muzzle-loader sling is the only practical way to display it in the crowd. 

WACA Member
March 18, 2024 - 7:16 pm

I should mention that this is a case where if this rifle was not in the letterable range, there’s no way I would ever think of selling this rifle.

NY
WACA Member
March 18, 2024 - 8:13 pm

mrcvs said
I should mention that this is a case where if this rifle was not in the letterable range, there’s no way I would ever think of selling this rifle.

Your logic escapes me–without the letter, you’d know nothing of this gun’s interesting history.  You wouldn’t know the gun was ordered with that mid-range, as opposed to it being stuck on later.  I have a plain-Jane .32-40 HW I’d like to sell–no history whatsoever, but with a letter like yours, I wouldn’t part with it.

WACA Member
March 18, 2024 - 8:20 pm

clarence said

mrcvs said

Your logic escapes me–without the letter, you’d know nothing of this gun’s interesting history.  You wouldn’t know the gun was ordered with that mid-range, as opposed to it being stuck on later.  I have a plain-Jane .32-40 HW I’d like to sell–no history whatsoever, but with a letter like yours, I wouldn’t part with it.

A letter that doesn’t match a rifle is a death knell.  If there is no letter available, then you use your best judgement, and, in this case, this rifke otherwise looks good.

NY
WACA Member
March 18, 2024 - 9:30 pm

mrcvs said

A letter that doesn’t match a rifle is a death knell.

To the close-minded, unable to think for themselves, & draw conclusions that should be obvious, such as how your gun came to be re-barreled.  If anyone says “that’s the majority opinion,” it proves my point, that the herd mentality prevails.  If I were a couple of decades younger, I’d buy your gun to spare it the ignominy of falling into the hands of a dolt lacking the judgement to appreciate its interesting history.

WACA Member
March 19, 2024 - 1:07 pm

clarence said

mrcvs said

A letter that doesn’t match a rifle is a death knell.

To the close-minded, unable to think for themselves, & draw conclusions that should be obvious, such as how your gun came to be re-barreled.  If anyone says “that’s the majority opinion,” it proves my point, that the herd mentality prevails.  If I were a couple of decades younger, I’d buy your gun to spare it the ignominy of falling into the hands of a dolt lacking the judgement to appreciate its interesting history.  

We shall see how badly I really want to actually sell this rifle.  As addressed in the link I posted in Post #18 of this thread, the huge problem is that the R & R from 1892 cannot be definitively proven to have been the barrel replacement, and the discussion in that linked thread suggests, as stated by Bert, is that the markings on my barrel are subsequent to 1892.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6398
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2309