Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1886 - barrel defect
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 94
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 12, 2021 - 1:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Here are some pictures of this 1886 serial #27504 which makes it an antique. All of the pre-1898 86’s had case harden receivers. Other than the bore, I believe it is in good condition for a rifle over 130 years old. The screws are in good condition, The wood is in good shape. I thioght I made a good deal until I saw the circle in the bore.

A few have remarked that I should shoot it to see if the accuracy has been hurt. However, finding 40-82 ammo is not easy. The collectible stuff that $8-$10 a round is too expensive to shoot.

IMG_3283.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_3284.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_3289.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_3273.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_3282.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_3276.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
February 12, 2021 - 1:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The barrel has been worked on but to what extent you would have to post more picture. The caliber stamp is not original.

Bob

IMG_3283.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
February 12, 2021 - 2:49 am

Richard, I don’t think that gun is worth spending any more money on. The wood is under size, metal is cold blue and smooze, wrong sights, and the barrel markings look small. It’s worth half what you paid. Like I said before, I’ve made bigger mistakes than that. Learn from it and get help before you buy. Have the members on the Forum critique the gun before you buy. T/R

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
February 12, 2021 - 3:24 am

Richard Pike said

A few have remarked that I should shoot it to see if the accuracy has been hurt. However, finding 40-82 ammo is not easy. The collectible stuff that $8-$10 a round is too expensive to shoot.

Well, of course!  It’s strictly a handloading proposition, using hard to find cases, custom dies, etc.  But if you weren’t counting on going into all that, buying it strictly as a collector’s item, in other words, cond of the bore doesn’t matter anyway.

NY
WACA Member
February 12, 2021 - 3:31 am

TR said
 The wood is under size, metal is cold blue and smooze, wrong sights, and the barrel markings look small. It’s worth half what you paid.

That’s letting the man down easy!  But he wouldn’t have paid what he did if other bidders hadn’t also been taken in.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
February 12, 2021 - 4:02 am

oneclarence said

TR said
 The wood is under size, metal is cold blue and smooze, wrong sights, and the barrel markings look small. It’s worth half what you paid.

That’s letting the man down easy!  But he wouldn’t have paid what he did if other bidders hadn’t also been taken in.  

Clarence, He could have been bidding against himself, unless you see the other bidder how do you know. The big auction houses state it in the Terms and Conditions of sale, “may implement that reserve by bidding on behalf of the consignor”. Find out what the idem is worth before bidding starts. Post the link and ask the questions. Don’t worry that someone else might bid on the gun. There’s so many guns for sale if you miss one you’ll get the next. 

As for letting the man down easy, we’ve all been there and it is, what it is. T/R 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
February 12, 2021 - 2:43 pm

1873man said
The barrel has been worked on but to what extent you would have to post more picture. The caliber stamp is not original.

Bob

IMG_3283.JPGImage Enlarger  

Yeah I noticed that as well. If you look closely you can see were each number/letter was individually stamped. The ‘W’ and ‘C’ even bounced and made a slight double stamp. The original caliber markings were applied all together at the same time and not individually stamped. 

If the replacement barrel is a shooter, it would be fine to have some plinking fun and/or you don’t have to worry about taking it hunting.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
February 12, 2021 - 2:57 pm

I figure you have a bulge in the barrel and the outside has been worked down and removed the obvious signs.

Bob

2021-02-12_085543.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

NY
WACA Member
February 12, 2021 - 3:18 pm

Maverick said

If you look closely you can see were each number/letter was individually stamped. The ‘W’ and ‘C’ even bounced and made a slight double stamp.

I didn’t look at the magnified image until just now, but the crude hand stamping is so obvious that even the auction house crooks can make no excuse for missing it.

This fraud would almost make me mad enough to hire a lawyer, except that I know it would be sink me even deeper into the hole.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 94
February 12, 2021 - 4:35 pm

Thank you to all who provided comments. I learned a lot, mostly don’t buy unless you know what you are buying! I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.

Story of my success “buy high sell low”!  

Richard

NY
WACA Member
February 12, 2021 - 5:34 pm

Richard Pike said

Yes, but you can’t claim that as original, Richard–I’ve been operating on that system all my life.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 348
February 12, 2021 - 6:56 pm

clarence said

Richard Pike said

Yes, but you can’t claim that as original, Richard–I’ve been operating on that system all my life.  

Add me to the list of those who have bought high and sold low.  I try not to make snap decisions now days.  One of the things I don’t like about auctions.  

I call myself a collector as it sounds better than hoarder

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
February 12, 2021 - 11:16 pm

Richard Pike said
I thank all who took the time to comment. I have sent pictures to the auction house, and said I wanted to return the gun, but received no response. The auction house is – North American Auction Company out of Bozeman, MT. I paid $3,000 including the buyer premium, so it wasn’t a “bargain”, in my opinion.

It almost looks like a bullet was lodged it the barrel at that point? There is no bulging on the exterior of the barrel.

IMG_3263-2.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_3263.JPGImage Enlarger  

Has it been completely ruled out that the rifle could be returned?  

Not that I am recommending this, but I’ve seen other rifles like this that have had serious bore damage fairly close to the end of the muzzle.  For a rifle that is purely a shooter, I’ve seen where the owner has had the bore counterbored an inch or three (just to get past the damage area).  Hence, concern about the impact of the damaged area on the bullet is eliminated.  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
February 12, 2021 - 11:25 pm

Steve,

I don’t think you are going to counter bore 7″ since  that is were the ring is. If it were mine and I was stuck with it, I would have it lined and make it into a good shooter and maybe think of changing the caliber while I was doing it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

NY
WACA Member
February 12, 2021 - 11:53 pm

1873man said
If it were mine and I was stuck with it, I would have it lined and make it into a good shooter and maybe think of changing the caliber while I was doing it. 

Good idea–there’s no “originality” left to preserve, & shooting any .40 requires extra aggravation in acquiring cases, dies, even bullets.  But .45-70 is smooth sailing in every way, & a superior cartridge to boot.  First ’86 I ever had (bought out of a pawn shop when I was in High-school) was a .40-something rebored to .45-70.  Also easier to resell.

Would be wise to compare cost of reboring vs. a new replacement brl.:

https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/store/p30/1886barrelsforsale.html

WACA Member
February 13, 2021 - 12:27 am

1873man said
Steve,

I don’t think you are going to counter bore 7″ since  that is were the ring is. If it were mine and I was stuck with it, I would have it lined and make it into a good shooter and maybe think of changing the caliber while I was doing it.

Bob  

I didn’t realize the problem was that far into the barrel.  Actually, I like the .45-70 rebore idea the best.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
February 13, 2021 - 2:59 am

I’m surprised that it wasn’t a 45-70 already.  Most faked 86’s turn into 45-70’s.  I would not spend any money on this gun until a gunsmith looked at it or I shot it once. Who knows, it may be OK left alone?

NY
WACA Member
February 13, 2021 - 4:23 am

Chuck said
I’m surprised that it wasn’t a 45-70 already.  Most faked 86’s turn into 45-70’s.  I would not spend any money on this gun until a gunsmith looked at it or I shot it once. Who knows, it may be OK left alone?  

I agree, & have previously said so, but how would a gunsmith be able to tell Richard anything more than anyone here without shooting it?  (The average gunsmith would know LESS about the gun & cartridge than most of us here.)  Problem is going to be acquiring the cartridges, good, fresh, handloads.  Is there a source for them, like someone here who reloads for that cartridge?  Wouldn’t make sense to buy cases & dies without knowing (by means of shooting) how badly the bore has been damaged.

WACA Member
February 13, 2021 - 3:05 pm

I think a typical answer would be to simply purchase a box of newly made ammunition.  Unfortunately, these are not typical times.  The pandemic and panic-buying seems to have not spared .40-82 ammunition.   Buffalo Arms has been a supplier of newly manufactured ammunition for obsolete cartridges.  Unfortunately, just as one can go to various distributor websites (e.g. Midway, Natchez, Graf, Wideners) and glance at 9mm, .30-30, .32 special and ad infinitum), the result is the same – including .40-82 (OUT OF STOCK).  Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised, but panic-buying seems to have hit the .40-82 as well.

Here’s what Buffalo Arms typically has available in loaded .40-82 cartridges:

Smokeless:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/40-82-winchester-smokless-ammo-using-properly-headstamped-brass-406-260-grain-jacketed-fn-sp-box-of-20-amo4082hs

https://www.buffaloarms.com/40-82-winchester-smokeless-ammo-406-260-grain-jacketed-fn-sp-box-of-20-amo4082#product-media-modal

Black powder:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/40-82-winchester-loaded-ammunition-black-powder-406-280-grain-box-of-20-amobp4082

Buffalo Arms also has three options for .40-82 brass – all out of stock.

Interestingly enough, the run on .40-90 Peabody What Cheer brass cases has not been great enough to exhaust their supply – they are available – at the moment.  Price is $6.19 per casing. 

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 13, 2021 - 4:34 pm

Here’s another source to keep an eye on.  I got a box of these a few months ago for my 1886 takedown that my dad gave me.  I took dad to the range for his 86th birthday and put a few rounds through it.  An absolute pleasure to shoot and had 1-inch groups at 100 yards with iron barrel sights.

https://www.venturamunitions.com/ventura-heritage-40-82-wcf-255gr-rnfp-ammo-20-rounds/

Don

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, deerhunter, Chris Scott
Guest(s) 181
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323