Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1885 desirability
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 17, 2022 - 10:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m aware of a high wall available, in nice condition, not refinished, strong bluing and case colouring, and in a desirable caliber-.32-40.  The only special order feature is a 30” barrel, #3.  Other than that, it’s a plain-Jane gun, with the exception of a Lyman 1-A tang sight, which may or may not be original.  It is an antique.  Yes, it’s a 90% rifle, with strong case colouring, but this model has so many fitted with many exciting features, so I’m not sure how desirable a Model 1885 would be, especially with a round barrel, albeit extra length.  No pistol grip, no set trigger, etc.  My gut instinct says to just move on, but I like it because of condition, caliber, and pre 1898 status.

Thoughts?

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
November 17, 2022 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The round brl is much more unusual than its length & wt., which is typical for .32-40, but someone had to ask for a round brl.  Sounds like a great gun to me, as far as cond. goes, as well as its antique status, but how “desirable” it is all comes down to price.  .32-40s are so common that the price should reflect that fact, & round brls, though scarcer than oct., are generally somewhat less popular among collectors.  Those special features you referred to are nice to have, of course, but would also drive up cost.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
November 17, 2022 - 11:41 pm

It sounds to me like it’s one to make a move on, rather than move on from  🙂

WACA Member
November 17, 2022 - 11:50 pm

I just feel like the round barrel is less attractive, and that might also prove to be the case when I might try to find the n Dr owner.  Folks like octagon and half octagon rifles!  I doubt I’ll be able to get it at the price I think it is worth, anyways.  But the purpose of this thread was to determine if it’s a resounding thumbs down, which doesn’t appear to be the case.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
November 18, 2022 - 12:10 am

mrcvs said
I’m aware of a high wall available, in nice condition, not refinished, strong bluing and case colouring, and in a desirable caliber-.32-40.  The only special order feature is a 30” barrel, #3.  Other than that, it’s a plain-Jane gun, with the exception of a Lyman 1-A tang sight, which may or may not be original.  It is an antique.  Yes, it’s a 90% rifle, with strong case colouring, but this model has so many fitted with many exciting features, so I’m not sure how desirable a Model 1885 would be, especially with a round barrel, albeit extra length.  No pistol grip, no set trigger, etc.  My gut instinct says to just move on, but I like it because of condition, caliber, and pre 1898 status.

Thoughts?

Ian,

The 30-inch No. 3 barrel was 100% standard… not special order.  Based on your description of the rifle, it is a “plain Jane” catalog rifle with no special order features.  If the rifle is “antique”, the Lyman No. 1A tang sight was positively added at least 7-years after the fact.

A plain standard 32-40 Single Shot Sporting Rifle in 90% condition is at best a $3,500 gun.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 18, 2022 - 12:17 am

clarence said
The round brl is much more unusual than its length & wt., which is typical for .32-40, but someone had to ask for a round brl.  

Not true!  The round barrel was standard… you had to order the the octagon or half-octagon barrel (which nearly 90% of the buyers did).  The octagon barrel cost an additional .50 cents per the April 1900 Catalog No. 65.

Bert

WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 12:28 am

Bert H. said

mrcvs said

Thoughts?

Ian,

The 30-inch No. 3 barrel was 100% standard… not special order.  Based on your description of the rifle, it is a “plain Jane” catalog rifle with no special order features.  If the rifle is “antique”, the Lyman No. 1A tang sight was positively added at least 7-years after the fact.

A plain standard 32-40 Single Shot Sporting Rifle in 90% condition is at best a $3,500 gun.

Bert

Thank you Bert!

I thought 28” was standard for some reason!

So, it’s a plain Jane with above average, but not extraordinary condition.

And so I will pass…

NY
WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 12:33 am

Bert H. said

Not true!  The round barrel was standard… you had to order the the octagon or half-octagon barrel (which nearly 90% of the buyers did).  The octagon barrel cost an additional .50 cents per the April 1900 Catalog No. 65.

Bert

Then how do you explain the fact that in the 1891, 1893, & 1899 catalogs (& probably those in between, which I don’t have), the description of the Standard Sporting Rifle begins with “octagon brl.” & nothing said about it being an extra-cost option?  If what you say is correct, this would constitute false advertising.

Kingston, WA
Admin
November 18, 2022 - 12:43 am

A 28-inch barrel was standard for the 32 WCF (a.k.a. 32-20) cartridge.  One of these days I should post a copy of standard barrel lengths & sizes listed in the Winchester catalogs.

WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 1:01 am

Bert H. said
A 28-inch barrel was standard for the 32 WCF (a.k.a. 32-20) cartridge.  One of these days I should post a copy of standard barrel lengths & sizes listed in the Winchester catalogs.

Yes, please do!  Too many barrel lengths and too many calibers to recall in the Model 1885.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
November 18, 2022 - 3:13 am

If all original with the possible exception of sights I’d be tempted at the right price. IMHO a high condition, original 1885 is uncommon enough to be desirable, even if a “standard rifle”. If you’re buying for resale you should listen to your gut and leave this one for someone who will enjoy it.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
November 18, 2022 - 5:23 am

mrcvs said

Bert H. said

Yes, please do!  Too many barrel lengths and too many calibers to recall in the Model 1885.

I am away from home (visiting with my very elderly mother in Oregon for several days), but I will scan and post the information in some of the various catalogs I have (I have all of the catalogs from 1885 through 1920) after I return home.

NY
WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 2:03 pm

Bert H. said I am away from home (visiting with my very elderly mother in Oregon for several days), but I will scan and post the information in some of the various catalogs I have (I have all of the catalogs from 1885 through 1920) after I return home.

Shouldn’t be necessary, considering the wide availability of cheap repro catalogs–no other factory catalogs have been reproduced so prolifically, beginning by the 1950s, if not before.  Seems strange to me that any half-way serious Winchester collector (I put myself in that category) wouldn’t have acquired some representative collection of them.  Ebay currently lists 1600+ of them, most modern, but scores of 19th C. ones as well, not to mention the Super-Store of repro gun catalogs, Cornell Pubs.

WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 3:15 pm

mrcvs said

Bert H. said

mrcvs said

Thoughts?

Ian,

Bert

Thank you Bert!

And so I will pass…

I think a decent, antique, all original Winchester is always worthy of consideration.  More so each day, as each day, it’s another day older.  However, it’s not the only rifle in the sea out there and for most of us, money is a finite quantity.  You may well find something you like even better.  

NY
WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 4:05 pm

Before you “pass,” Ian, you have nothing to loose by making an offer, unless you’ve already been quoted a bottom-dollar price.  If Bert estimates $3500, you might offer $2500; no dealer would offer more, you can be sure.

WACA Member
November 18, 2022 - 4:38 pm

steve004 said

mrcvs said

Bert H. said

mrcvs said

Thoughts?

Ian,

Bert

Thank you Bert!

And so I will pass…

I think a decent, antique, all original Winchester is always worthy of consideration.  More so each day, as each day, it’s another day older.  However, it’s not the only rifle in the sea out there and for most of us, money is a finite quantity.  You may well find something you like even better.  

Those are my sentiments at this time.  Money is finite and I’ll probably find something better to spend it on or just end up saving it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
November 18, 2022 - 5:55 pm

I have an antique 85 in 32-40.  It has a 30″ #3 half octagon barrel and 3 period sights.  It is case colored. I paid $3700 for it in 2006.  It’s hard to find any Winchester in nice condition for under $3500. I have a small collection of 1885’s and this one filled a spot because of the caliber.

WACA Member
November 19, 2022 - 5:31 pm

This rifle just hammered at $2900.  With buyer’s premium, that’s about $3400.  Probably exactly what it is worth.

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/94/lot/57489?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F94%3Flotnum%3D221

I didn’t bid on it.  While nice, there are other things that are more exciting.

WACA Member
November 19, 2022 - 5:42 pm

mrcvs said
This rifle just hammered at $2900.  With buyer’s premium, that’s about $3400.  Probably exactly what it is worth.

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/94/lot/57489?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F94%3Flotnum%3D221

I didn’t bid on it.  While nice, there are other things that are more exciting.

I think it’s a decent looking piece.  I agree – that’s about what it’s worth – to someone who wants one.

NY
WACA Member
November 19, 2022 - 5:51 pm

mrcvs said

Didn’t realize you were talking about a gun in an auction, esp. a major one!  Then I’d have said forget it! 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2344
twobit: 2295