Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Question about single loading a 1894 Winchester vs. loading from the magazine
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 26
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 3, 2018 - 6:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I was reading a Lever Action group page recently and came across a posting where it was claimed that single loading an 1894 will damage the extractor.  The gentleman making this claim went on and on about how bad it is and how stupid it is to single load.

I have seen numerous posts such as this regarding bolt actions, and the differences of push feed compared to controlled feed… so it got me wondering about lever actions.  I went out to the shop this morning and grabbed an 1894 SRC out of the safe and started playing with a dummy round.  When I cycled a round out of the magazine, it appears the extractor does not go over the rim until the round is in the chamber.  If that is the case, then that would make it a push feed action and there’s no way loading from the tube or from the top is going to make any difference.

I found an 1894 Owner’s Manual online (modern) and sure enough, there is a graphic showing how to load from the magazine or from the top, so I guess it must not be that much of a problem if it is shown as acceptable in the manual.

What do you guys think on this subject?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
December 3, 2018 - 7:20 pm

I’ve single loaded the model 1894 thousands of times without issue.  I didn’t know it was a problem so I’ll have to be careful from here on out.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 3, 2018 - 9:45 pm

Doesnt make any difference how you load the chamber whether single loading or cycling through the magazine the result is the same, the extractor gets pushed over the rim of the cartridge either way when the bolt is closed.  The extractor is designed to flex (rise over the cartridge rim), thats why the pin holding it in the bolt is located as far back as it is, to allow that flexibility. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2294
December 3, 2018 - 11:06 pm

On my higher condition rifles I only single load so as to not put any wear on the loading gate and to remove the chance of screwing up and sliding the round across the side of the receiver.  I might be too careful but why take chances.  AND there is no chance of a misfired second round if the trigger is touched by mistake.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10834
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
December 3, 2018 - 11:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Brian,

As it applies to the Model 1894/94, there is no such thing as a “push feed” or “controlled round feed”.  Regardless of whether you single feed, or allow it to feed through the action from the magazine tube, the Model 1894 extractor engages the rim of the cartridge when the bolt locks in place during its final movement. The information you read about extractor damage due to single loading is pure hogwash. Like several others here, I have single loaded my 1901 vintage Sporting Rifle, and my 1906 vintage Take Down Sporting rifle hundreds of times each (when shooting my special “target” rounds loaded with 168-gr HPBT bullets). I single feed one round through the top of the action, and push the cartridge into the chamber with my thumb before closing the action.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
December 4, 2018 - 3:28 am

Those SASS guys are in a timed event, so the more time they shed the better they score. I know for a fact single loading a model 97 is faster than stoking it. But most cowboy actions stages, you normally load your rifle and pistols prior to starting the stage your shooting at. It would be hard pressed to find a SASS stage that requires only field loading your rifle after the start of the buzzard. But not to say they don’t exist. I would state in my opinion, that in regards to a timed event single loading is somewhat more dangerous than the traditional loading of the magazine. But would argue one just needs more practice.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5032
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
December 4, 2018 - 1:55 pm

The main reason I have for loading a lever gun from the magazine is to ensure that it will indeed feed from the magazine. My “shooter” leverguns occasionally go hunting and I want to have second and third rounds available if a group of hogs shows up. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 26
December 4, 2018 - 4:45 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I was pretty sure there was no problem with single loading and I will continue to do so.

Take care,

Brian

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., jolly bill, TXGunNut, Jeremy P
Guest(s) 163
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6363
TXGunNut: 5032
Chuck: 4597