Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
On the subject of Returned and Repaired Letters, Here's one for a Model 1885
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1728
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 6, 2020 - 2:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Here’s one for a Model 1885 I’ve owned for 27 years now, presumably the “Returned and Repaired” part was for the installation of a part round part octagon barrel and a single set trigger because this is how the rifle currently differs from as it letters and these are improvements over original.  But, I cannot prove this, so not sure if this hurts its value, or not.

Winchester 1885, serial number 26256

Rifle

32/40

#3, 26-inch, octagon barrel

Plain trigger

Plain pistol grip

Mid Range and Beach sights

Received in the warehouse on September 10, 1888

Shipped from the warehouse on September 11, 1888

Order number 12069

Returned and repaired on September 9, 1892

No other information is available for this serial number.

Comments and/or thoughts desired.  Not sure what to make of the letter not matching the current configuration, other than I really like this gun.  One of the best uses for $1800 in this lifetime, which was the cost when purchased 30 January 1993.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
June 6, 2020 - 3:04 am

Probable? Yes. Documentable? We may never know. I dream of the day the Winchester repair shop log is found in the Cody archives or elsewhere. People much more knowledgeable than me just smile when I babble about the possibility. But in the words of a wise man; never say “never”. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
June 6, 2020 - 3:44 am

I’d buy it!

If the barrel is a 1/2 octagon 26″ No.3 in 32/40, I wonder if it was just a clerical error that they didn’t note it as 1/2 round instead of the full octagon. 

Sincerely,

Maverick

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
June 6, 2020 - 3:53 am

mrcvs said
Here’s one for a Model 1885 I’ve owned for 27 years now, presumably the “Returned and Repaired” part was for the installation of a part round part octagon barrel and a single set trigger because this is how the rifle currently differs from as it letters and these are improvements over original.  But, I cannot prove this, so not sure if this hurts its value, or not.

Winchester 1885, serial number 26256

Rifle

32/40

#3, 26-inch, octagon barrel

Plain trigger

Plain pistol grip

Mid Range and Beach sights

Received in the warehouse on September 10, 1888

Shipped from the warehouse on September 11, 1888

Order number 12069

Returned and repaired on September 9, 1892

No other information is available for this serial number.

Comments and/or thoughts desired.  Not sure what to make of the letter not matching the current configuration, other than I really like this gun.  One of the best uses for $1800 in this lifetime, which was the cost when purchased 30 January 1993.  

Can you post a picture showing me everything you see marked on the bottom of the barrel under the forend stock and the flat-spring?  Also the left side of the lower tang?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
June 6, 2020 - 4:00 am

Bert H. said

Can you post a picture showing me everything you see marked on the bottom of the barrel under the forend stock and the flat-spring?  Also the left side of the lower tang?

Bert  

OKay will do.  However I will not have access to this rifle for several months.  When I do, I will provide the photographs you request.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
June 6, 2020 - 4:21 am

Maverick said
I’d buy it!

If the barrel is a 1/2 octagon 26″ No.3 in 32/40, I wonder if it was just a clerical error that they didn’t note it as 1/2 round instead of the full octagon. 

If there was no “R&R,” that would be a plausible speculation; but since there IS a proof of a factory return, speculation is unnecessary–the handwriting on the wall is too clear to dismiss. 

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1043
June 6, 2020 - 7:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Maverick said

Ive got a similar situation with an 1886 in 38-56.  The gun letters correct with the exception being the letter states a 28″ Octagon barrel but it has a 28″ 1/2 Oct barrel.  There is no R&R mentioned on the letter.  Not likely that someone swapped out the barrel down the road, just wouldnt make much sense given the condition of the rifle.  If it was a standard 26″ barrel rifle I would be a little more inclined to believe the barrel may have been swapped.  Ive chocked it up to a clerical error in the ledger, everything else about the gun appears original and unaltered.  

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
June 7, 2020 - 2:30 pm

I am sympathetic to the dilemma.  It sounds like a very nice rifle.  

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 2:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

And here are the photographs requested.  2039 on left side of frame and on buttstock under upper tang.  Strong case colouring under tang sight tells me the tang sight has been there a very long time.IMG_1970.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1971.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1969.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1968.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1967.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
September 8, 2023 - 2:32 am

Take the forend stock off and take some pictures of everything you can see stamped on the unexposed bottom barrel flats.

Bert

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 2:48 am

Bert H. said
Take the forend stock off and take some pictures of everything you can see stamped on the unexposed bottom barrel flats.

Bert

How do you get that off?  I removed the one screw on the underside and couldn’t get it to budge.  Also please see my post in the repairs section.  Any ideas why removal of the buttstock and sear screw removal will now not allow for release of hammer and pulling of trigger?  Thanks.

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 3:06 am

mrcvs said

Bert H. said

Bert

How do you get that off?  I removed the one screw on the underside and couldn’t get it to budge.  I don’t like to force anything, however.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
September 8, 2023 - 3:44 am

mrcvs said
How do you get that off?  I removed the one screw on the underside and couldn’t get it to budge.  

Probably just stuck to the brl by old oxidized oil.  Lay a thick strip of leather or felt along the side of the wood & rap up & down both sides with a plastic mallet to try to jar it loose.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 8, 2023 - 4:00 am

The forend stock is apparently stuck in place by dried oil or grease. It only requires removing the forend stock tenon screw, and then pulling down on the nose of the forend stock.

The butt stock is removed with just two screws… the upper tang machine screw, and the rearmost (wood) screw on the lower tang. If you removed anything else, you have undoubtedly now have a loose sear spring that needs to be reinstalled.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 235
September 8, 2023 - 4:17 am

I nave same situation with my 1885 single shot. The letter does not include single set trigger, Lyman #6? folding 2 leaf rear sight and front jack sight. It letters with plain trigger, checkered pistol grip stock, nickle butt plate. It also has CF on lower tang. I have seen other rifles on this site that had special features that had CF on tang. I think that means “CUSTOM FITTINGS” as probably specified on a work order. Don

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 11:10 am

IMG_1985.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1986.jpegImage EnlargerAnd the underside of the barrel with forearm removed.  The only marking is a “3” indicating a #3 barrel.

A gentle but strong tug removed the forearm prior to having go the leather/felt route.?

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 8, 2023 - 3:59 pm

mrcvs said
IMG_1985.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1986.jpegImage EnlargerAnd the underside of the barrel with forearm removed.  The only marking is a “3” indicating a #3 barrel.

A gentle but strong tug removed the forearm prior to having go the leather/felt route.?

Did you look underneath the flat spring?  I suspect not, as you should find a fair number of markings in that location.

Bert

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 4:32 pm

Bert H. said

mrcvs said

Did you look underneath the flat spring?  I suspect not, as you should find a fair number of markings in that location.

Bert

I didn’t remove it but from what I could see I didn’t see anything.  But I can look again, perhaps removal of the flat spring is necessary?

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 8, 2023 - 6:18 pm

Yes, taking the flat spring off will be required… and I am certain you will find additional stamped markings.

WACA Member
September 8, 2023 - 6:24 pm

IMG_1991.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1990.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1989.jpegImage EnlargerBert H. said
Yes, taking the flat spring off will be required… and I am certain you will find additional stamped markings.

I was able to angle it appropriately without removing it and “VP” in a circle and .32-40 were noted.  Note no VP on the frame or top of the 28” 1/2 round/1/2 octagon barrel.

Thank you for your patience while I remain obtuse.

The photographs added to your quote for whatever odd reason but they are there nonetheless.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Roundsworth, Darrin Smith, Nevada Paul, oldcrankyyankee, TG, SureShot
Guest(s) 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2307
mrcvs: 1728