Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1885 High Wall
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 22, 2021 - 6:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I found a nice one that will make a great shooter. It was made in 1896 in my first choice of caliber 44-40. I already have plenty of ammo, dies, and components in this caliber. She’s definitely not a looker but the best part is the bore is very good. The wood is in really great shape and is proud. There is some light scattered minor pitting. It has a #3 barrel and 2 triggers back to back. I don’t understand how to use them yet. On my other rifles they are set further apart. There is a hole in the right side of the rear barrel sight. I don’t know what it’s for? I’m not educated enough to know how original everything is but I paid a little under my budget so all is good for a shooter. The serial number is 74652. Would love to hear back about anything that is not original or wrong and approximate value (my guess would be about what I paid $1950 + $50 shipping).  All in all I’m happy. 

Mike

https://i.ibb.co/2NkXRSc/W1885-1.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.ibb.co/B26ZTW5/W1885-2.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.ibb.co/swPB8dz/W1885-4.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.ibb.co/ysb1j0T/W1885-3.jpgImage Enlarger

RickC
WACA Guest
January 22, 2021 - 6:40 pm

TXGunNut said
I like the way you think, Mike. A nice Single Shot in 32, 38 or 44WCF would be pretty special in almost anyone’s collection but even better in yours as you already load for them. I load for the first two (Of those three) and someday when the stars line up and my pockets are a bit fuller I’d love to have one in 32WCF. It may take awhile longer as a nice High Wall in 32-40 distracted me from my quest but that’s part of the adventure. Just keep piling up those $100 bills and keep your eyes and ears open; your rifle will come along.

I’d love to own the 32-40 on GB but I’m not in a position to buy it. Frown

Mike  

Ditto

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
January 22, 2021 - 6:40 pm

The rear sight is missing the small leaf that can be moved up and down in the slot.  The missing screw tightens the leaf so it stays where you put it.  If this bothers you it might be easier to find another sight?  The leaf and screw may be hard to find by themselves? The close set trigger is set after the hammer is cocked.  Just push the rear trigger forward to set the front trigger.  Although it appears you are missing the small adjustment screw.  It goes in the small hole just behind the triggers. This screw adjust how sensitive the front trigger is.

WACA Guest
January 22, 2021 - 7:03 pm

Chuck said
The rear sight is missing the small leaf that can be moved up and down in the slot.  The missing screw tightens the leaf so it stays where you put it.  If this bothers you it might be easier to find another sight?  The leaf and screw may be hard to find by themselves? The close set trigger is set after the hammer is cocked.  Just push the rear trigger forward to set the front trigger.  Although it appears you are missing the small adjustment screw.  It goes in the small hole just behind the triggers. This screw adjust how sensitive the front trigger is.  

I’m having a hard time visualizing. Any chance you have a picture? I attached two closeups of the sight. 

https://i.ibb.co/26fy6hm/20210122-135129.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.ibb.co/hRdPVKF/20210122-135154.jpgImage Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
January 22, 2021 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The hole in the sight is for adjusting a movable plate, which this sight lacks, so maybe it never had one. Is the hole threaded?

If you don’t see a very small screw head behind the rear trigger, it’s gone or broken off, & maybe there are other problems with the DS mechanism. Replacing it, & getting the triggers working, is probably going to be a job for one of the very few gunsmiths who’ve ever worked on one.  Didn’t the seller tell you anything about that?  Pretty odd, I think, that anyone would have wanted a DS trigger on a .44-40.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
January 22, 2021 - 7:56 pm

Mike,

In my opinion, you paid several hundred $$$ too much for it.  Specifically, as it was originally manufactured by Winchester, it was a 38-55 with a 30-inch full octagon No. 3 barrel.  The barrel on the rifle now is not original

To set the trigger, open the action fully, then push the rear trigger forward until it clicks (latches in position).  It should be making contact with the front trigger when set. Once it is set, close the action and verify the hammer does not fall (fire).  As Chuck pointed out, it is missing the adjustment screw.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
January 22, 2021 - 8:04 pm

Bert H. said
Mike,

In my opinion, you paid several hundred $$$ too much for it.  Specifically, as it was originally manufactured by Winchester, it was a 38-55 with a 30-inch full octagon No. 3 barrel.  The barrel on the rifle now is not original

If it started out as a .38-55, then the DS triggers make sense.  But the action alone with DS triggers should be worth $12 or 13 hundred.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 22, 2021 - 8:16 pm

TXGunNut said
I like the way you think, Mike. A nice Single Shot in 32, 38 or 44WCF would be pretty special in almost anyone’s collection but even better in yours as you already load for them. I load for the first two (Of those three) and someday when the stars line up and my pockets are a bit fuller I’d love to have one in 32WCF. It may take awhile longer as a nice High Wall in 32-40 distracted me from my quest but that’s part of the adventure. Just keep piling up those $100 bills and keep your eyes and ears open; your rifle will come along.

I’d love to own the 32-40 on GB but I’m not in a position to buy it. Frown

Mike  

I don’t have a center fire but while we’re on the subject of 1885’s, I was lucky enough to find this 32 RF for $600 U.S, although the cartridges weren’t cheap.

3DCC805E-ACD4-43F5-9E6A-70A58A329CC5.jpegImage Enlarger
47D13F8E-DD6B-4511-880A-D7E3822DC78A.jpegImage Enlarger
89C7469F-FB09-4DF9-BB66-F774E4975617.jpegImage Enlarger
785BCBF5-294F-4343-BB40-D4D464C2FA65.jpegImage Enlarger
A0DC3F34-D4E4-4D7E-9E8A-4171B0F37F27.jpegImage Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
January 22, 2021 - 9:01 pm

RickC said

I don’t have a center fire but while we’re on the subject of 1885’s, I was lucky enough to find this 32 RF for $600 U.S, although the cartridges weren’t cheap.

.32 RF was the reason you got it for $600.  

Can you tell where those .32s were made?  Brazil?

WACA Guest
January 22, 2021 - 9:04 pm

Just tested the triggers. They seem to work well. Just can’t adjust them. So since she is a bit on the ugly side, has no collectible value due to the re-barrel, and has a very good bore… it really does make for a great old vintage shooter. The only downside is paying a few hundred too much. I think I’m actually ok with that.   

The rifle I shoot the most is my 1886 (serial # 71850) in 45-70. It too has been re-barreled but with a new replacement barrel. Like I said in my first post…I own a collection of misfit Winchester rifles that nobody else wants. This one fits right in. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is very appreciated. 

Mike

https://i.ibb.co/jRfSs6L/20210122-123911.jpgImage Enlarger

RickC
WACA Guest
January 22, 2021 - 9:15 pm

clarence said

RickC said

clarence said

RickC said

Yes they are Clarence. Brazil 2014

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
January 23, 2021 - 4:03 pm

[email protected] said
Just tested the triggers. They seem to work well. Just can’t adjust them. So since she is a bit on the ugly side, has no collectible value due to the re-barrel, and has a very good bore… it really does make for a great old vintage shooter. The only downside is paying a few hundred too much. I think I’m actually ok with that.   

The rifle I shoot the most is my 1886 (serial # 71850) in 45-70. It too has been re-barreled but with a new replacement barrel. Like I said in my first post…I own a collection of misfit Winchester rifles that nobody else wants. This one fits right in. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is very appreciated. 

Mike

https://i.ibb.co/jRfSs6L/20210122-123911.jpgImage Enlarger  

You are enjoying your old Winchesters and that’s what counts.  Neat that they are old vintage rifles vs. modern replicas.  Old rifles that are in super high condition are generally locked away in dark safes and they don’t yield the enjoyment that the rifles that have, “been there and done that” do.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1728
January 23, 2021 - 5:42 pm

clarence said

RickC said

Also the fact it’s a brown gun has something to do with it as well.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 23, 2021 - 6:00 pm

mrcvs said

clarence said

RickC said

Also the fact it’s a brown gun has something to do with it as well.  

Yes it’s a brown gun, but it’s consistent and honest. Not too many honest 85s are for sale for that price, certainly not in Canada, if you can find one.
I’m just a small collector & have only owned a couple hundred Pre 64 Winchester lever’s, but the wood & the bore and action on this one is as good as most of them. I’ll take an honest brn gun in this condition any day for that price. ?

WACA Member
January 23, 2021 - 10:22 pm

Michael, here is a picture of the rear of the sight. Notice how flat the back of the sight is.  Notice inside of the area highlighted in red there is a rectangular piece that will slide up when the screw is loosened..

IMG_0652.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
January 23, 2021 - 10:56 pm

Chuck said
Michael, here is a picture of the rear of the sight. Notice how flat the back of the sight is.  Notice inside of the area highlighted in red there is a rectangular piece that will slide up when the screw is loosened..

Doesn’t look like to me his has that sliding plate, esp. when viewed from back side; if so, that’s what makes the screw hole an anomaly.

WACA Member
January 24, 2021 - 4:02 am

W1885-4a.jpgImage Enlargerhttps://i.ibb.co/swPB8dz/W1885-4.jpg

His has the slot.  You can see the recessed area where the leaf should be.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
January 24, 2021 - 5:06 am

Chuck said

His has the slot.  You can see the recessed area where the leaf should be.  

Now I see it–didn’t look close enough.

He’ll never find that plate by itself–live with it or find another sight.

WACA Guest
January 24, 2021 - 5:57 pm

Chuck said

IMG_0652.jpgImage Enlarger  

Got it. Now I understand. I’m just going to live with it the way it is. Thank you. 

RickC
WACA Guest
January 24, 2021 - 6:14 pm

[email protected] said

Got it. Now I understand. I’m just going to live with it the way it is. Thank you.   

Well good luck with that. If you’re anything like many of us, you won’t be able to live with it and will be searching for a replacement. ?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2307