Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
M1892 without any model markings?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 18, 2017 - 1:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

JWA said
25-20 brass can be formed from the more readily available (and cheaper) 32-20 brass.

Regards,  

Absolutely, but since I shoot a lot more 32-20 and 25-20 than anything else, I prefer to have the correct headstamp lest I show up at the range with the wrong ammo.  Also, the neck on the 32-20 is quite fragile – it is the only cartridge where I’ve lost multiple casings over the years during the resizing step of reloading.  (A distant next closest has been the 38-40).

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
September 18, 2017 - 4:27 pm

Wincacher said

Absolutely, but since I shoot a lot more 32-20 and 25-20 than anything else, I prefer to have the correct headstamp lest I show up at the range with the wrong ammo.  Also, the neck on the 32-20 is quite fragile – it is the only cartridge where I’ve lost multiple casings over the years during the resizing step of reloading.  (A distant next closest has been the 38-40).  

I prefer correct headstamps as well, I hear making 25-20’s out of 32-20’s is a bit risky. I’m a bit clumsy as things get smaller. Seems I have a few 38WCF brass in my scrap can as well.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
September 18, 2017 - 4:47 pm

TXGunNut said

I prefer correct headstamps as well, I hear making 25-20’s out of 32-20’s is a bit risky. I’m a bit clumsy as things get smaller. Seems I have a few 38WCF brass in my scrap can as well.  

The only incorrect headstamp I have out of 12 hyphenated calibers I reload are some 32-40’s that are stamped W-W 38-55.  These were the incorrect (short) length cartridges made by Winchester-Western that I had been using until Starline came out with the longer and correct cartridge length a few years ago.  The short W-W 38-55’s can be resized to 32-40 without any case trimming being necessary.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
September 18, 2017 - 6:34 pm

Wincacher said

The only incorrect headstamp I have out of 12 hyphenated calibers I reload are some 32-40’s that are stamped W-W 38-55.  These were the incorrect (short) length cartridges made by Winchester-Western that I had been using until Starline came out with the longer and correct cartridge length a few years ago.  The short W-W 38-55’s can be resized to 32-40 without any case trimming being necessary.  

Good to know, I’ve avoided the 32-40 but I have a few of the 2.08″ cases that I have no use for because I shoot the 2.125″ cases in my 38-55’s. Shooting buddy is recently the proud owner of a 32-40, guess I better give them to him before I convince myself I need to buy a 32-40 to fire them in. 😉 

I’m trying to avoid the 32-40 and 25WCF but someday I’ll give in. 

Come to think of it I have almost 100pcs of W-W 32WCF brass that is .025″ or so too short. Some have grown a bit after a few firings so I can’t get a consistant crimp but they’re too short to trim with my Lee trimmer. They may be closer to the correct length once they run thru a 25WCF sizer die. I think I’ll just buy another trimmer pilot and modify it, cheaper than a nice 1892 but not near as much fun. 😉

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Forum Posts: 2119
September 18, 2017 - 11:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said

Yep, I agree with you guys and prefer correct headstamps too.  I only posted the info in case there is someone that really wants to shoot their 25-20 and cannot find reasonable brass for it.  Hopefully one of these days Winchester, Remington, Jamison (or others) will make another run of brass.   I have been waiting a long time to stock up on new 25-20 brass.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 67
September 19, 2017 - 12:49 am

Wow!! seems like I generated a lot of conversation.  BTW, I just picked up a Lyman ‘F’ if anyone is interested?  thanks, Elliot

WACA Member
September 19, 2017 - 1:11 pm

Sorry about the hijack. Wayne and I need to sit & talk about hyphenated cartridges someday. I think I could learn quite a bit from him.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
September 20, 2017 - 1:40 am

Please don’t apologize, always learn something.  Hope someone needs a Lyman ‘F’, would trade for a ‘W’ or ‘D’.

WACA Member
September 20, 2017 - 1:50 am

Have you posted it in the “Swap Meet” section? If no luck there I have contact info for a few parts guys I did business with in Cody. I’d hang onto that “F” sight, all you need is the correct rifle to mount it on. 😉

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
September 20, 2017 - 3:15 am

TXGunNut said
. . . need to sit & talk about hyphenated cartridges someday.

That doesn’t sound like you, Tex.  You don’t have a .32-40 (Shocking!), and instead of running out and carting one home, you would merely SIT and TALK about these wondrous rifles to learn about them?!!  Yikes!  Think of how many you’ve seen for sale this year, and you didn’t allow a solitary one to woo you and to snuggle into your shoulder at the range.  Indeed, Off Your Rocker!  Sad. Sad. Sad.

Think I’ll dig into the safe now; pet and cycle a few .32-40’s just to get the Earth back near its axis.  (Hope the salty tears don’t rust my beloved .32-40’s.)

As if Global Warming were not enough, now our TXGunNut has definitely cracked.  Woe be’s Humanity.

WACA Member
September 21, 2017 - 6:11 pm

BTW, gentlemen, I can solve some of your anxiety, I will sell you the 1892, 25-20, and you can go to the range the day after you receive it!!  The paper doesn’t talk back!

Seriously, I am selling it, just haven’t had time to go through the process.  It is a pretty nice one, but as always, I am no expert on this.

WACA Member
September 22, 2017 - 5:58 am

As if Global Warming were not enough, now our TXGunNut has definitely cracked.  Woe be’s Humanity.-FromTheWoods

Worse than that, I’m afraid. Had a chance at a nice 1885 at the Cody show and passed on it. Not all bad, tho. Shooting buddy (who bird dogged it for me!) bought in and brought it home.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
September 24, 2017 - 2:46 pm

Gentlemen, appreciate all the advice, and new knowledge from this thread.  We can all rest easy on my 1892, it has a new home with someone that decided the 25-20 would not only be a good hog gun, but also renew an old love affair he had with that caliber.  Elliot

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2307
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 26, 2017 - 12:51 pm

Elliot A said
All, a rookie here again.

I have purchased a nice 1892, 25-20, with a Lyman 1A DA, 1909 vintage.

As I was cleaning it up, removed the tang sight and noticed that there was no model number.  Checked it everywhere and found none.  Not sure what this means, but it is puzzling.  Has anyone seen this before?  thanks, Elliot

20170907_170927.jpgImage Enlarger  

Hello Elliot,

I have been on vacation and traveling for a bit or I would have posted earlier.  I do have to disagree that the tang marking has anything to do with export of rifles to Britain.   The tang stamp style on your rifle, with or without the small “MOD 1892” stamped across the tang, is found between SN 476000 and 502000.  Roughly 25,000 rifles This corresponds to production from 1909 for the Model 1892.  The earlier guns with the style do not have any MOD 1892 added to the tang whereas the later examples in this range do have it.  Those early gun are indeed lacking any Model designation on them.  The majority of the rifle in this range are sporting rifles in 25-20 WCF caliber.  I have catalogued right at 200 rifles with this tang stamp style and not a single one has any foreign proof stamps!  I know Madis claims the tang style was used for export guns but the data does not support that claim.   

It is interesting to note also that during 1909 this identical tang stamp style was begun to be used on the Model 1890 slide action .22 caliber rifles.  Those rifles already had the Model designation being applied to the barrel so there were no guns produced without model designations.  This style was used until 1915 for the Model 1890’s.  Certainly Winchester did not intend to solely export 6 years worth of 1890 production.

It is my belief that the use of this tang stamp style on the Model 1892 rifles was a production error.  I will be the first to admit that 25,000 rifles with an “error” is a bit hard to believe but the export idea does not make sense either.

Can I please get the serial number and some additional photos of your rifle so that I can add it into my survey data?

Thanks so much

Michael

1892-Type-2A-MOD.jpgImage Enlarger1892-Type-2A.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
September 28, 2017 - 1:53 am

twobit, happy to help, I have traded it off, but the serial number was 487390, which falls correct into your SNs.  It came with the wrong front and rear sight, but I placed the correct ones on it before trading.  Everything else appeared correct, but it had been drilled (2-2) for a side mount scope base.  I don’t think I took more than the one posted, but will look, thanks for the info, Elliot

WACA Member
September 28, 2017 - 2:33 am

Elliot A said
twobit, happy to help, I have traded it off, but the serial number was 487390, which falls correct into your SNs.  It came with the wrong front and rear sight, but I placed the correct ones on it before trading.  Everything else appeared correct, but it had been drilled (2-2) for a side mount scope base.  I don’t think I took more than the one posted, but will look, thanks for the info, Elliot  

Elliot,

Thanks for the SN and do not worry about additional photos.  I already have the rifle entered into my data when it was on Gunbroker out of East Longmeadow, Mass.  That rear sight was kind of ugly.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
September 28, 2017 - 5:11 am

The rear sight was removed when I got it and a Lyman tang installed.  Do you remember the selling price?   Somehow, it ended up with one of the dealers here in East Texas.  We made a trade and then I traded again, minus the Lyman.  thanks, Elliot

WACA Member
September 28, 2017 - 12:38 pm

Elliot A said
The rear sight was removed when I got it and a Lyman tang installed.  Do you remember the selling price?   Somehow, it ended up with one of the dealers here in East Texas.  We made a trade and then I traded again, minus the Lyman.  thanks, Elliot  

Elliot,

I do not have the asking price or the timing for when the rifle was on Gunbroker.  The Lyman tang sight was on the rifle.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
September 28, 2017 - 11:54 pm

thanks, it had a Winchester blade front, but more like a 67 type, and the rear was a Marble with the sheet metal elevator and the diamond sight picture.  I assume that was also the configuration when on GB.  thanks again, Elliot

WACA Member
September 29, 2017 - 12:19 am

Elliot A said
thanks, it had a Winchester blade front, but more like a 67 type, and the rear was a Marble with the sheet metal elevator and the diamond sight picture.  I assume that was also the configuration when on GB.  thanks again, Elliot  

Here are the GB image of the rear sight and the left side of the receiver with the extra holes for the scope mount.

pix970397456.jpgImage Enlargerpix988792575.jpgImage Enlargerpix494424183.jpgImage EnlargerMichael

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6391
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323