Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
I generally don't give restored rifles much notice but his M1886...
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 30, 2020 - 2:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

clarence said

They have VERY little in common–a completely different esthetic applies to antique cars.  Not that antique car collectors have no appreciation for a rare vehicle that has miraculously survived the ravages of time, but there’s absolutely no “downside” to restoration, & you can hear Jay Leno talk about the lengths he goes to in his no-expense-spared restoration projects on his wonderful YT channel.

A better analogy would be antique furniture, & if you watch the Antiques Roadshow, you’ll hear their experts saying again & again, “what a shame it was refinished!”  

I totally disagree.  Cars, to me are just like guns.  The more help that they have had the worse they are in my eyes.  Many times things get over restored and lose all of their originality.  Restored as original is best.  No extra shine or fanciness.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
May 31, 2020 - 12:15 am

For what it’s worth here’s My thoughts; I have  100+ year old original Winchesters, still with the hang tag etc., they are very nice and a privelege to own, I also own refinished Winchesters that look nice but will gather negative scrutiny, and I also own properly restored Winchesters. Yes the high condition “original”,  is extremely nice to have, although expensive but a good investment, but a properly restored gun is just as pleasing to Me and every bit as good an investment just dealing with less money. Saying that there is a very huge difference between “restored” and “refinished”. If a piece is properly “restored” it will look and function as it did when it come out of the factory. If it’s refinished who knows what has been used to make it look “like new”. As most on the forum know I have Mod’ ’94 ser#15147, the only extra heavy barreled ’94 ever built. Like the magazine article says it was fully “restored” by Turnbull. I don’t know what it looked like before. but it sure is a beautiful gun now and a true 1 of a kind that holds a place of distinction in My collection. On the other hand I am currently looking at a Mod. ’85 15″ saddle ring carbine that is in very poor condition. It is also a very rare piece but I am hesitating buying because of the condition, and if I do purchase it I may have it restored because I don’t think there is one out there in good-excellent condition and I feel, as is,  it would deter from the rest of the display I am assembling. I also dabble in old cars and the difference between restored and refinished is very apparent in a vehicle. Ex; a full body off restoration on a model “a” Ford would be in the $60000.00 to $70000.00 range but I can refinish one for about a quarter of that using off shore parts etc.. Like everyone else I’ve seen so called improperly “restored ” guns but I wouldn’t put much money into them as I wouldn’t like the negative scrutiny, even if they do look nice. Like was said I think it is the eye of the beholder what one likes or dislikes.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
May 31, 2020 - 1:21 am

Henry –

I appreciate hearing your thoughts and perspective.  What is your opinion of the rifle that started this thread? What about it would make you interested or not interested in it?

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
May 31, 2020 - 2:03 am

Chuck said 

Many times things get over restored and lose all of their originality.  Restored as original is best.  No extra shine or fanciness.  

ANY degree of restoration erases originality…that is, what’s left of the original finish. Restoration to what the original surfaces looked like when new is the aim of the best restorers, like Turnbull, though it’s an art & not a science.  Creating “extra shine or fanciness” would be an amateur’s mistake.  

NY
WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 2:19 am

steve004 said
Henry –

What is your opinion of the rifle that started this thread?  

My opinion is that it’s an excellent facsimile of a “like-new” gun.  The only way to prove or disprove how closely it approaches the condition of this gun on the day it originally left the factory would be to have a similar UNrestored gun that had been protected from all exposure to the atmosphere since the day it was built–sealed in a nitrogen chamber, for ex.  I suspect that “brand new” case colors & nickel would seem a little garish to eyes accustomed to seeing them after 100 yrs of aging. 

NY
WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 2:25 am

Chuck said

Cars, to me are just like guns.  The more help that they have had the worse they are in my eyes.   

I’d much rather have an unrestored car in good but not “show-room” cond., but go to a Barrett-Jackson auction & I think you’ll find that’s not the general opinion of the millionaires bidding on restored cars.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 31, 2020 - 4:17 am

There is a line in the Winchester Book where George talks about how a collector that solely prizes mint condition over everything else on a gun, will generally have touched up / or restored guns in his collection. I believe the truth of that statement hasn’t changed in the slightest in over 50 years. I wonder if it ever will, but imagine eventually restored guns will be considered not so taboo. I’ve been told collectors in Europe don’t mind restored guns hardly whatsoever.

To each their own.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
May 31, 2020 - 11:41 am

Maverick said
There is a line in the Winchester Book where George talks about how a collector that solely prizes mint condition over everything else on a gun, will generally have touched up / or restored guns in his collection.

A significant proportion of the Wes Adams collection was defined by guns such as this.

Also, the same of a prominent Colt collector in New Jersey whose collection was auctioned off recently after his passing.  His name slips my mind right now, but it was often said he had 100% Colts in his collection, but they were purchased in 90 or 95% condition.

Just like Bert, I would rather have a 75 to 95% condition vs 100%.  That 95% means a LOT–NO EXCUSES!  Whereas 100% can mean is 100% as original, or, “has it been restored?”  I do have a few 100% firearms because I know the provenance, and no question this is the case.  Except for a Smith & Wesson NM No 3.  Purchased at an obscure auction, from on-line photographs, questionable if it was original or not.  I think others questioned this as well,  Purchased at a reasonable price and the gamble paid off!

WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 2:06 pm

Maverick said
There is a line in the Winchester Book where George talks about how a collector that solely prizes mint condition over everything else on a gun, will generally have touched up / or restored guns in his collection. I believe the truth of that statement hasn’t changed in the slightest in over 50 years. I wonder if it ever will, but imagine eventually restored guns will be considered not so taboo. I’ve been told collectors in Europe don’t mind restored guns hardly whatsoever.

To each their own.

Sincerely,

Maverick  

I agree totally.  In fact, what was true 50 years ago (i.e. that many guns in collections had been touched up or restored) has surely increased exponentially. Colts likely worse than Winchesters.  I also agree with you about your future forecast.  One of the reasons I believe restored guns will be less taboo is because there will be a whole lot less people around who will be able to tell the difference.  Over the last 50 years, probably hundreds of millions of dollars (likely a low estimate) have been made through faking guns.  

WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 2:26 pm

clarence said

My opinion is that it’s an excellent facsimile of a “like-new” gun.  The only way to prove or disprove how closely it approaches the condition of this gun on the day it originally left the factory would be to have a similar UNrestored gun that had been protected from all exposure to the atmosphere since the day it was built–sealed in a nitrogen chamber, for ex.  I suspect that “brand new” case colors & nickel would seem a little garish to eyes accustomed to seeing them after 100 yrs of aging.   

Clarence – I suspect what you’re saying is quite true.  If any of use were to hold a 100+ year old Winchester that had been sealed in a nitrogen chamber and appeared as new as it did when it departed the factory – we would consider it quite gaudy.  “Obvious fake” would likely be the consensus Laugh

We’ve all seen original, “brilliant” case colors but none of us have seen them as brilliant as they were the day they left the factory.

WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 2:37 pm

clarence said

ANY degree of restoration erases originality…that is, what’s left of the original finish. Restoration to what the original surfaces looked like when new is the aim of the best restorers, like Turnbull, though it’s an art & not a science.  Creating “extra shine or fanciness” would be an amateur’s mistake.    

Even though I shy away from rifles that have any departure from originality, there are some shades of grey for me.  For me, there is a difference between non-original finish vs. non-original finish combined with non-original parts.  I still have some very mild interest in the rifle that started this thread – but that would be based on the barrel being original.  Actually, having new wood put on it turns me off as well, but not as much as the prospect of the barrel being of new manufacture.  So, I have gradients of objection which range at one end (finish alteration only) to the other far end (complete clone with no original parts used).  As I write this, there is another possibility I hadn’t considered with this rifle.  For all I know, the barrel is from the original rifle but the receiver came from a donor rifle!

NY
WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 4:25 pm

steve004 said

Actually, having new wood put on it turns me off as well…  

The one rather glaring error made in this restoration is the use of such fancy wood, when the letter says nothing about special wood.  This wood isn’t even XXX, it’s Exhibition Grade, as would be used on a fully engraved gun.  However, I can guess why it was selected, because I know a stockmaker who does this kind of work, & he says that his customers invariably want the fanciest, most expensive, blank he can provide.

WACA Member
May 31, 2020 - 6:36 pm

clarence said

The one rather glaring error made in this restoration is the use of such fancy wood, when the letter says nothing about special wood.  This wood isn’t even XXX, it’s Exhibition Grade, as would be used on a fully engraved gun.  However, I can guess why it was selected, because I know a stockmaker who does this kind of work, & he says that his customers invariably want the fanciest, most expensive, blank he can provide.  

It is interesting that they didn’t copy the rifle to the exact specifications in the factory ledger.  I do understand the dynamics involved.  People love fabulous wood.  It’s part of what pulled me in to this rifle.  Were I to buy it, if offered the option to have it stocked with plain grain wood instead, I don’t think I would go for that choice.

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
June 1, 2020 - 10:14 pm

And now to hear from an almost  complete novice , and one that collects 22’s and operates in a much lower dollar amount then the guns you’re discussing. I do not like refinished examples,  unless they were trashed before refinishing.  I really don’t like the glaring colors of modern case colors. I have no problem with a rifle that been conserved.  There’s a difference between refinish and conservation.  A rifle that has had it’s metal finish freshened by converting the rusted bluing back to black oxide is fine with me. It has had nothing added that is not original, but has had the rusting of it metal halted. The same with the furniture. Wood that has had gun oil soaked into it is softer and easily damaged. Wood that has been ignored and dried out will easily crack.  Removing most of the gun oil and replenishing the hand rubbed finish is conservation.  The same with repairing the later lacquer finish, or the piano finish tung oil finishes.  Not only that but to do this work is fun and adds to the excitement of the collection. Does it add to the value of the collection? Well that remains to be seen. I’ve said enough and probably didn’t add anything to the discussion. 

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
June 2, 2020 - 12:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I have had several deluxe grade guns with flame grain wood, none of these listed the wood on the letter. The letter would just say pistol grip checkered! I don’t think the letter usually lists the x grade of the wood. I’ve owned 3 and 4x wood guns and the only way I knew the wood grade was from the x’s on the lower tang. T/R

WACA Member
June 2, 2020 - 1:08 am

TR said
  I have had several deluxe grade guns with flame grain wood, none of these listed the wood on the letter. The letter would just say pistol grip checkered! I don’t think the letter usually lists the x grade of the wood. I’ve owned 3 and 4x wood guns and the only way I knew the wood grade was from the x’s on the lower tang. T/R  

Of course, pistol grip checkered doesn’t necessarily mean deluxe grade wood.  We see many plain grained wood with pistol grip checkered stocks.  I find it odd that deluxe grade wood is often not mentioned in the ledgers.  Another mystery of the factory ledgers.  Factory letters often leave unanswered questions.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
June 2, 2020 - 1:58 am

Deluxe grade wood was standard on the “Fancy” Sporting Rifles, and was therefore not mentioned in the factory ledgers (or very seldom mentioned). Winchester did not record information in the ledger if it was a standard feature.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4281
June 2, 2020 - 3:15 am

Here is a copy of a ledger page with one gun  that is listed with fancy wood. As you can see there are several  1of 1000’s listed and they had fancy wood as standard but no mention  of it.

Bob

IMG_20180422_164905771-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
June 3, 2020 - 1:37 am

Steve; what would make Me interested in that particular rifle would be dollars and cents. It is a good looking piece though, restored or not and I wouldn’t say that it is or isn’t (I’d want to han g onto it) for a bit.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
June 3, 2020 - 3:09 am

1873man said
Here is a copy of a ledger page with one gun  that is listed with fancy wood. As you can see there are several  1of 1000’s listed and they had fancy wood as standard but no mention  of it.

Bob

IMG_20180422_164905771-1.jpgImage Enlarger  

Bob,

That is a great example, the 1st 1of1000 on that ledger page is #31266 and it has in my opinion has very beautiful XX wood on it.

8.jpgImage Enlarger12.jpgImage Enlarger

Just goes to show that there are a lot of things not always listed in the ledger, just because a collector thinks it should be.

Sincerely,

Maverick

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281