Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Beautiful M1886 on auction
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 8, 2021 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

And I mean (to me of course) just pure beautiful.  Stunning.  I am in love with the features, condition, configuration – you name it.  I would take a piece like this over an octagon barreled, crescent butt rifle any day of the week.  It hurts to look at this for me – the desire is that high:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898475135

WACA Member
May 8, 2021 - 3:38 pm

[email protected] said
Steve,

I can see how easy it is to like this Clean, Honest Rifle! It is Beautiful! It’s Rifles like that, we hold out and wait for! Good Luck! Show us pics when you get it! Lol!!!Smile  

Trust me – if I were seriously looking at pursuing this rifle, I wouldn’t have posted it here.  However, it’s not like Chayn’s rifles stay secret.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
May 8, 2021 - 5:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

It is without a doubt an very nice Model 1886 Extra Lightweight Rifle… however, it does Not have “7 special order features (8 including the Lyman sight)“. Instead, it has just (1) special order feature… “Smokeless”. Everything else about the rifle was standard for the Extra Lightweight rifle variation as cataloged by Winchester.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
May 9, 2021 - 12:02 am

Bert H. said
It is without a doubt an very nice Model 1886 Extra Lightweight Rifle… however, it does Not have “7 special order features (8 including the Lyman sight)“. Instead, it has just (1) special order feature… “Smokeless”. Everything else about the rifle was standard for the Extra Lightweight rifle variation as cataloged by Winchester.

Bert  

I caught that too Bert. But, many out there will not. For example, most collectors up here still refer to the takedown on a rifle as a “special order” while we know it was not, a TD Rifle is a TD Rifle, and a distinct variation of the Model.  It will take a very long time, if ever, to change the vocabulary out there. And, the more “special order” features a seller can rattle off, the more desirable that gun becomes right? Up hill battle.

That said, I know the seller, very good guy, and yes, a very good reputation.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 9, 2021 - 2:36 pm

Very nice indeed, bidding hasn’t even warmed up yet. Any ideas where it will wind up?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
May 9, 2021 - 6:17 pm

That’s a beauty all right, be a nice additional to any collection. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Eastern Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 272
May 9, 2021 - 7:28 pm

Almost looks too good to be true.

WACA Guest
May 9, 2021 - 8:03 pm

TXGunNut said
Very nice indeed, bidding hasn’t even warmed up yet. Any ideas where it will wind up?

Mike  

We should turn it into a contest to see who can come closest to the hammer price. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 9, 2021 - 8:48 pm

Kevin Jones said

We should turn it into a contest to see who can come closest to the hammer price.   

I’m thinking $11K.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 9, 2021 - 8:50 pm

Brooksy said
Almost looks too good to be true.  

A lot of his guns are that way.  I’m not suggesting they’re not true – they just are that nice.  He is able to acquire very desirable rifles in very desirable condition.  He’s had a whole lotta rifle over the years that I’ve drooled over.

WACA Member
May 9, 2021 - 9:01 pm

TXGunNut said

I’m thinking $11K.

Mike  

I’ll go with $11,001  😉

To me, this rifle is beautiful in many ways.  It’s not just the condition.  This rifle is timeless.  I believe it as relevant and functional/pragmatic today as the day it was made.  Here is is, 2021, can you name anything modern available in stores today that would be better.  You can go buy a new Marlin .45-70, Henry .45-70, etc. and you would have no advantage over this, “vintage piece.”  This would be one fabulously handy piece to hunt with, chambered in a cartridge that would take anything this continent has to offer (and most other continents as well).  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
May 9, 2021 - 9:26 pm

Bert H. said

Bert  

I still believe that this gun was ordered this way.  Special or otherwise, in stock or not. 

WACA Guest
May 9, 2021 - 9:53 pm

I’ll say $12,300!

Too much in my opinion but he typically gets all there is ($) out of a rifle and then some. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
May 9, 2021 - 10:22 pm

steve004 said

A lot of his guns are that way.  I’m not suggesting they’re not true – they just are that nice.  He is able to acquire very desirable rifles in very desirable condition.  He’s had a whole lotta rifle over the years that I’ve drooled over.  

Craig loves the hobby, does the big shows, knows what he’s looking at, and works set up day. He puts a lot of effort into finding nice guns in plain view. Many collectors look at the same gun “Kick the tires” but aren’t willing to pay the price. He’s got a lot of money in these nice guns and not afraid to take a chance. I’ve seen him take a loss, no safety net. T/R

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 12:01 am

Craig’s a great guy, was speaking with him last night. I’ve never seen his collection, but the guns he puts up are generally exemplary rifles. And like TR stated above, I can gather from our conversations he does spend A LOT of time traveling and working hard for his guns. 

It is a stunning ELW. If I still collected them, I’d be in on it.  I don’t say it too loudly, but I’ve been picking up more Marlins than my old Winchesters these days.

Matt

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
May 10, 2021 - 11:26 am

The rust on the upper left receiver would be ok if left alone but the botched attempt at removing it is a big negative in my view. 

WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 2:38 pm

CJS57 said
The rust on the upper left receiver would be ok if left alone but the botched attempt at removing it is a big negative in my view.   

I will agree.  However, in a rare burst of positivism from me, I would say these few condition blemishes would reduce my anxiety were I carrying the rifle in the woods and (carefully) hunting with it.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 7:10 pm

steve004 said

I will agree.  However, in a rare burst of positivism from me, I would say these few condition blemishes would reduce my anxiety were I carrying the rifle in the woods and (carefully) hunting with it.  

Agreed. I generally like to get a new toy out on a hunt or two, and I wouldn’t feel quite as nervous carrying it.  I also, for some reason, really like the look of a plain, pistol grip on a rifle.

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
May 10, 2021 - 8:38 pm

Several years ago I bought a 1950 standard model 70 in 270 wcf. The gun was very close to new condition, paid $1700 and took it hunting, I was like a kid with a new toy. It still is a nice gun and I carefully use it, no regrets. The gun is still worth what I paid for it.

This 86 is at a different level of collecting, much higher price, much older, and rarer. That beautiful 86 does not belong in the woods!  This gun is rare by condition and if that condition changes the value will plummet. The only reason you see the blemishes is because the rest of the gun is so nice, 5% of the blue worn off and you wouldn’t notice. Most dealers would have rubbed some secret sauce on the blems and you wouldn’t have seen it until you shined a bright light on it. T/R

WACA Member
May 13, 2021 - 1:19 am

I also liked the looks of that uncheckered pistol grip.  So the ’86 didn’t sell for too bad a price – $7590.  Anyone here, “Alice55”?   That (he or she?) was the winner.  Whoever you are Alice, you got a very nice rifle.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, KWD57, Zebulon
Guest(s) 208
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263