Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Beautiful M1886 on auction
May 10, 2021
8:38 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Several years ago I bought a 1950 standard model 70 in 270 wcf. The gun was very close to new condition, paid $1700 and took it hunting, I was like a kid with a new toy. It still is a nice gun and I carefully use it, no regrets. The gun is still worth what I paid for it.

This 86 is at a different level of collecting, much higher price, much older, and rarer. That beautiful 86 does not belong in the woods!  This gun is rare by condition and if that condition changes the value will plummet. The only reason you see the blemishes is because the rest of the gun is so nice, 5% of the blue worn off and you wouldn’t notice. Most dealers would have rubbed some secret sauce on the blems and you wouldn’t have seen it until you shined a bright light on it. T/R

May 13, 2021
1:19 am
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2349

I also liked the looks of that uncheckered pistol grip.  So the ’86 didn’t sell for too bad a price – $7590.  Anyone here, “Alice55”?   That (he or she?) was the winner.  Whoever you are Alice, you got a very nice rifle.

May 13, 2021
1:42 am
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3268

steve004 said
I also liked the looks of that uncheckered pistol grip.  So the ’86 didn’t sell for too bad a price – $7590.  Anyone here, “Alice55”?   That (he or she?) was the winner.  Whoever you are Alice, you got a very nice rifle.  

Wow! I think Alice got a great deal. If I was more of an ELW fan I would have felt badly for not bidding. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
May 13, 2021
5:42 am
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 335

Haven’t been around much lately. On a large non-gun project.  About the subject rifle, don’t know if I can even qualify for a legitimate “minority view” here among so many experts.  But concerning the subject rifle, I’M just not impressed. My flavor is of high condition used original-appearance.  Something of “warmth”.  Showing well aged along with maintained with care and pride. This ’86 speaks to me of no such.  I’ve been lured by too many guns over a half century of collecting, something of a relief not to be tempted here.  Here for me… “Just another pretty face'”.  

Sorry if stepping on ‘August toes”.  🙂 

Just my take!

Best!

John

May 13, 2021
3:08 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2349

iskra said
Haven’t been around much lately. On a large non-gun project.  About the subject rifle, don’t know if I can even qualify for a legitimate “minority view” here among so many experts.  But concerning the subject rifle, I’M just not impressed. My flavor is of high condition used original-appearance.  Something of “warmth”.  Showing well aged along with maintained with care and pride. This ’86 speaks to me of no such.  I’ve been lured by too many guns over a half century of collecting, something of a relief not to be tempted here.  Here for me… “Just another pretty face'”.  

Sorry if stepping on ‘August toes”.  🙂 

Just my take!

Best!

John  

John – your take doesn’t step on my toes at all.  If fact, given I did not make a play for the rifle, it provides me with some comfort.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 628

Currently Online:
39 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 16

Topics: 9039

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1211