Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Assign a value to this antique M1894 - provenance?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 22, 2023 - 6:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This is from the same seller who currently has a M1892 .38-40 antique SRC up for auction on gunbroker. We’ve had some discussion of it on another thread. It’s a fairly decent carbine. 

This one has some idiosyncrasies to it.  Add?  Detract?  What’s your opinion?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/971187630

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
February 22, 2023 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The inscription on the receiver detracts from this rifle.

I also would like to see a factory letter.

Rhe upper tang is proud to the stock and the fit is not particularly good, which is problematic.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6389
February 22, 2023 - 7:07 pm

mrcvs said
The inscription on the receiver detracts from this rifle.

Detracts?  Utterly ruins it, despite the nice configuration.  Of all possible exhibitions of deliberate abuse, this one is hard to top.  “Bill Farnum” was a blithering idiot, & the former property of blithering idiots, dead or alive, you could not give me.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
February 22, 2023 - 7:37 pm

steve004 said

This one has some idiosyncrasies to it.  Add?  Detract?  What’s your opinion?

Major distractionFrown

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
February 22, 2023 - 8:19 pm

Even if the “engraving” on the receiver had actually been done by a real engraver, it wouldn’t detract as much in my mind. So long as you had a real provenance as to its previous ownership. 

As is it currently, it devalues the rifle and their is not true provenance, short of pure “here say”.

Sincerely,

Maverick

P.S. I probably could of done a better job with my pocket knife.

NY
WACA Member
February 22, 2023 - 8:51 pm

Even if the “engraving” on the receiver had actually been done by a real engraver, it wouldn’t detract as much in my mind. Maverick said

Of course not, a professionally engraved inscription would be an asset.  And in 1940, any village large enough to have two gas stations probably had a watch & jewelry shop, where simple engraving was done at very reasonable prices.  My “village” had one, & even in the early ’60s the cost was still low.  For the princely sum of maybe $2, idiot Bill could have spared his friend (& us) this eyesore.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
February 22, 2023 - 8:58 pm

Questions; Why did he give him a 40 year old gun? Why is there two different penmanship’s? Why didn’t he hire a jeweler or engraver?

Anytime a gun raises a question the price goes down. This could be real but who are these guys, not John Wayne. T/R

NY
WACA Member
February 22, 2023 - 9:17 pm

TR said
 Questions; Why did he give him a 40 year old gun? Why is there two different penmanship’s? Why didn’t he hire a jeweler or engraver?

No reason to question the “reality” of it, that the time & individuals are what they purport to be.  Don’t you see & hear people as stupid as Bill every time you turn on the TV? 

WACA Member
February 22, 2023 - 11:23 pm

Too bad Pawn Stars isn’t still around – they could have sorted it out.  They’d have called an, “expert” in.  

Wink

NY
WACA Member
February 22, 2023 - 11:36 pm

steve004 said
Too bad Pawn Stars isn’t still around – they could have sorted it out.  They’d have called an, “expert” in.  

Wink

What do you mean “isn’t still around”?  They’re flying higher than ever, now going around the country holding show & tell events in blatant imitation of “Antiques Roadshow.”

But no expert is needed to recognize garden-variety stupidity. 

WACA Member
February 22, 2023 - 11:56 pm

clarence said

steve004 said

Wink

What do you mean “isn’t still around”?  They’re flying higher than ever, now going around the country holding show & tell events in blatant imitation of “Antiques Roadshow.”

But no expert is needed to recognize garden-variety stupidity. 

My apologies.  I have not kept up with them.  I suppose they are laughing all the way to the bank.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 235
February 23, 2023 - 12:46 am

I guess I’m different. With millions of Winchesters floating around this one provides thought provoking history. I would prefer a beat-up old 73 with William Bonney scratched on the receiver as to a shiny kept in the safe 73 that has absolutely no history. Besides these guns in 1940 were used as tools not as objects to adore. If my father had given me an old gun with with Grandpas name scratched on it it would be mine until I died. I have the feeling that many collectors have beautiful wives that are kept for looking at once in a while. That’s not for me. I would hang that on the wall with the inscription showing. Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 302
February 23, 2023 - 2:24 am

86Win said
I guess I’m different. With millions of Winchesters floating around this one provides thought provoking history. I would prefer a beat-up old 73 with William Bonney scratched on the receiver as to a shiny kept in the safe 73 that has absolutely no history. Besides these guns in 1940 were used as tools not as objects to adore. If my father had given me an old gun with with Grandpas name scratched on it it would be mine until I died. I have the feeling that many collectors have beautiful wives that are kept for looking at once in a while. That’s not for me. I would hang that on the wall with the inscription showing. Don

I agree with ya Don, If Farnum was my Grandad, that would be front and center fan in my collection! But since I don’t know who he is I’d pass on it. I’m a big B western fan and if that same gun had Tim McCoy engraved on it, I would be bidding!!!! 

NY
WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 3:12 am

cj57 said I’m a big B western fan and if that same gun had Tim McCoy engraved on it, I would be bidding!!!! 

You’re saying that looks like a gun Tim McCoy would have owned?  Or Tom, Gene, or Roy?

WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 3:27 am

clarence said

cj57 said I’m a big B western fan and if that same gun had Tim McCoy engraved on it, I would be bidding!!!! 

You’re saying that looks like a gun Tim McCoy would have owned?  Or Tom, Gene, or Roy?

I’ve seen guns that some of the old actors owned and they were not the mint gems! 

NY
WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 3:57 am

cj57 said I’ve seen guns that some of the old actors owned and they were not the mint gems!

Both Gene & Roy had major gun collections; nothing like the gun in question included.  Don’t know about Tim, but he was equipped with the fanciest gunbelt & tack the studio could provide, so I’d guess he wouldn’t find such a crude piece of work very appealing.

But you changed the subject: neither I nor anyone else derided guns that weren’t “mint gems.”  In fact several of us said we particularly admired guns showing evidence of honest wear.  But honest wear doesn’t include defacing or any other kind of deliberate abuse, I hope you would agree.

I think there’s also a significant distinction to be made between a piece of your property that you might deface in this way for your own purposes, & a GIFT made to another person.

WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 4:22 am

I just seen one of John Harts (lone Ranger) at auction and it was a maybe good cond SAA, that you would thumb your nose at, but someone liked Mr Hart. The Dukes 92s were less then mint! I have an M1 carbine IBM that I got off of a WW2 vet back in the the 80s with the wrong stock, but this vet carried it across Europe and took it home with him and entrusted it to me, and it means a lot to me! I have guns worth a lot more, but it’s not always condition and value that matters.

NY
WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 5:32 am

cj57 said
I just seen one of John Harts (lone Ranger) at auction and it was a maybe good cond SAA, that you would thumb your nose at, but someone liked Mr Hart. The Dukes 92s were less then mint! I have an M1 carbine IBM that I got off of a WW2 vet back in the the 80s with the wrong stock, but this vet carried it across Europe and took it home with him and entrusted it to me, and it means a lot to me! I have guns worth a lot more, but it’s not always condition and value that matters.

I thumb my nose at willful abuse, negligence, or other evidence of gross stupidity, not honest use & wear, as I’ve made plain not once but several times, in this thread & many others.  But I perceive that the distinction between normal wear & tear, vs. deliberate abuse, is one that you’re unable to understand, or so it seems.

WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 12:09 pm

I’m enjoying the diversity of opinions and perspectives.  It wouldn’t be fun at all if we all saw everything through the same lens.  This rifle is one where there is both a gun and a story for sale.  I think all of us understand the need to separate the two.

NY
WACA Member
February 23, 2023 - 12:53 pm

steve004 said
 This rifle is one where there is both a gun and a story for sale.

What’s the story?  Beyond one of the pair named being a careless gun-vandal.  Anybody who thinks that’s interesting can find plenty of other Bubba-botched guns to add to their collection. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Jeremy Scott., Antonio, Henry Mero, keith shaffer, SureShot
Guest(s) 53
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261